Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
18 January 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Tracing origin of latest COVID-19 spike in Hebei most 'difficult,' says CDC director Global Times 18 Jan 2021 -- The work of tracing the origin for the latest outbreak in North China's Hebei Province is most difficult, China's CDC director Gao Fu was quoted as saying in a post published on the CDC's website as the province sees double-digit increases in new cases and major cities are under strict lockdown.
- Beijing's new COVID-19 cases may indicate more hidden asymptomatic infections, larger testing required: experts Global Times 18 Jan 2021 -- Beijing reported two local COVID-19 cases on Monday, including one who works at a local news organization.
- 11 Chinese regions under de facto lockdown amid coronavirus infections Global Times 18 Jan 2021 -- As the novel coronavirus sees a resurgence in China, at least 11 regions in three provinces adopted de facto lockdown measures and rolled out massive free nucleic acid tests among populations to curb the spread of the virus.
- Update: Company reports negative coronavirus testing results before screening all samples, person in charge detained Global Times 18 Jan 2021 -- A company hired to process COVID-19 nucleic acid tests in Longyao county of Xingtai, North China's Hebei Province, reported samples from a mass testing of hundreds of thousands of local residents had all produced negative results, when it had not even completed testing of all samples, several of which included positive results. Police detained the person in charge of the company on Sunday.
- More than 100,000 drivers in Beijing on car-hailing platforms vaccinated against COVID-19 Global Times 18 Jan 2021 -- As of 6 pm on Sunday, over 100,000 drivers registered on Chinese car-hailing platform Didi Chuxing in Beijing have been vaccinated against COVID-19, and those who have not been vaccinated should provide a negative coronavirus test taken within seven days before providing services to the public, the Chinese car-hailing service platform said.
- Hebei to reexamine COVID-19 results after testing agency conceals positive cases Global Times 18 Jan 2021 -- The governor of North China's Hebei Province has demanded a rescreening of all COVID-19 testing results carried out by third-party agencies in a bid to detect loopholes or falsifying of data, after one of the agencies in charge of sample processing in Longyao county, Xingtai reportedly hid three positive results, despite the coronavirus outbreak ravaging the region.
- Three Chinese military aircraft enter Taiwan's ADIZ CNA 18 Jan 2021 -- Three Chinese military aircraft entered Taiwan's southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Monday, the eighth consecutive day there have been incursions, according to Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- China to impose sanctions on US officials who behaved badly on Taiwan question: FM Global Times 18 Jan 2021 -- China has decided to impose sanctions on related US officials who have behaved badly on Taiwan question: FM spokesperson Hua Chunying in response to the US moves to ease restrictions on exchanges with the island.
- US officials face sanctions over 'nasty' Taiwan behavior: China Press TV 18 Jan 2021 -- China says the United States will pay a heavy price over its engagements with Taiwan, after Washington upgraded relations with the self-ruled Chinese island in defiance of Beijing.
- Space station modules ready for missions People's Daily 18 Jan 2021 -- Three major components of China's space station program have passed technical and quality assessments and are ready for upcoming missions, the China Manned Space Agency said.
- Activist Defending Ethnic Kazakhs In China Explains Why He Had To Flee Kazakhstan RFE/RL 18 Jan 2021 -- Tens of thousands of ethnic Kazakhs in China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region have been sent to "reeducation camps" along with hundreds of thousands of others from that western province after being rounded up by China because they are Muslims.
- PLA commissions new all-terrain vehicle for high-altitude logistics support Global Times 18 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has recently received delivery of a type of newly developed all-terrain vehicle for logistics support missions in plateau regions with altitudes higher than 5,000 meters.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on January 18, 2021 PRC MofA 18 Jan 2021
- 'Mr Liar' Pompeo stages final madness on origin of coronavirus: Chinese FM Global Times 18 Jan 2021 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying on Monday called the US Secretary of State and anti-China hawk Mike Pompeo "Mr Liar," snubbing claims made in a US Department of State document that suggest the novel coronavirus emerged from a Chinese lab and had a military background.
- Chinese officials call on US anti-China hawks like Pompeo to end 'sanctions farce' over HK issues Global Times 18 Jan 2021 -- Two top Chinese authorities on Hong Kong affairs - the liaison office of the central government in Hong Kong and Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office of the State Council - denounced the latest sanctions imposed by the US on six individuals over the illegal primary elections held in the Chinese city, calling for these final-stage madness and multiple sanction farces to end.
- US sanctions: China urges Pompeo to 'wind up the show' Press TV 18 Jan 2021 -- China has criticized the latest US sanctions over Hong Kong, calling on Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to "wind up the show" and stop trying in vain, as his days in office are counted.
- Hong Kong Healthcare Volunteer Jailed For Four Years Over 2019 Protest Radio Free Asia 18 Jan 2021 -- A court in Hong Kong on Monday jailed a first-aid volunteer for four years, citing his presence at a pro-democracy protest in Causeway Bay in 2019.
- Two sessions form may be similar to last year, postponement unlikely: NPC deputies Global Times 18 Jan 2021 -- Amid a resurgence of sporadic COVID-19 cases in some Chinese cities, deputies to the 13th National People's Congress (NPC) approached by the Global Times on Monday said that the form of this year's Fourth Plenary Session of the 13th NPC and Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), the most important annual political event in China - collectively known as the two sessions - could be similar to last year's.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list