Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
16 January 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Taiwan, U.S. diplomats meet after official contact ban lifted CNA 16 Jan 2021 -- Taiwan's representative to Switzerland met with his U.S counterpart on Thursday, the latest Taiwanese diplomat to meet a U.S. official after the U.S. ended its restrictions on official contacts with Taiwan on Jan. 9.
- Chinese military plane enters Taiwan's ADIZ for 7th straight day CNA 16 Jan 2021 -- A Chinese military aircraft entered Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Sunday, the seventh consecutive day there has been such an incursion, according to Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- China Reports 130 New Mainland COVID-19 Cases vs 144 A Day Earlier SPA 16 Jan 2021 -- China reported 130 new coronavirus cases in the mainland for Jan. 15, compared to 135 cases a day earlier, Reuters cited the country's health commission as saying.
- The COVID-19 virus in Hebei was imported from abroad, worsening trend will stop soon: experts said Global Times 16 Jan 2021 -- The virus causing the new COVID-19 outbreak in North China's Hebei Province has been found to be imported from abroad, Hebei authorities said on Saturday. This has ruled out the possibility that it was related to previous local outbreaks in China.
- WHO experts start quarantine in Wuhan People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- An international expert team of the World Health Organization (WHO) arrived in China and started quarantine at a hotel in Wuhan on Thursday, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said Friday.
- Beijing requires extra 7-day health monitoring for inbound travelers People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- Beijing has required inbound travelers to undergo health monitoring for seven additional days following 21 days of medical observation, authorities said Saturday.
- 49 new asymptomatic COVID-19 cases reported in Chinese city People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- A city in northeast China's Jilin Province on Saturday reported 49 new asymptomatic infections of the novel coronavirus as of 10 a.m., authorities said.
- Chinese city builds isolation center with 1,500 rooms in 5 days People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- Construction of the first batch of 1,500 rooms for centralized medical observation has been completed in five days in a city in north China's Hebei Province, local authorities said Saturday.
- China's health insurance coverage for COVID-19 patients tops 1.6 bln yuan People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- More than 1.6 billion yuan (247.5 million U.S. dollars) worth of medical expenses for COVID-19 patients was covered by China's medical insurance funds last year, according to official data.
- Chinese mainland reports 115 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Friday reported 130 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases, of which 115 were locally transmitted and the rest arrived from outside the mainland, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- China's Hebei reports 90 confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- North China's Hebei Province reported 90 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and 12 locally transmitted asymptomatic cases on Friday, the provincial health commission said Saturday.
- Beijing reports 2 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- Beijing reported two new locally transmitted COVID-19 case on Friday, the municipal health commission said Saturday.
- Chinese vaccines get presidential welcome in Serbia Global Times 16 Jan 2021 -- The first batch of one million doses of COVID-19 vaccines developed by China's leading pharmaceutical company Sinopharm arrived in Serbia on Saturday, receiving a personal welcome at the airport from the country's president.
- Over 600,000 have received Sinovac shots in Turkey's vaccination program People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- More than 600,000 health workers in Turkey have received their first doses of COVID-19 shots developed by China's Sinovac during the first two days of the country's vaccination program, Turkish Health Ministry's data showed on Friday.
- Chinese COVID-19 vaccine draws positive response in Turkey People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- China's CoronaVac COVID-19 vaccine has drawn a positive response in Turkey, as the country begins a mass vaccination campaign.
- China sends new naval fleet on escort mission PLA Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- The 37th fleet of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy on Saturday left the port city of Sanya in south China's Hainan Province for the Gulf of Aden and waters off Somalia to escort civilian ships.
- US sanctions will be 'countered resolutely': FM office in HK Global Times 16 Jan 2021 -- The Office of the Commissioner of the Chinese Foreign Ministry in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Saturday expressed "great indignation and firm opposition" to the US' latest sanctions on six officials from the Chinese mainland and the city, saying that any interference or sanctions will be countered firmly by all Chinese people.
- China blasts Trump administration for imposing new sanctions on Chinese firms People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman on Friday rebuked the Trump administration for blacklisting some Chinese companies with alleged military ties, which he said has shown the world exactly what bullying is.
- HKSAR gov't requires all civil servants to swear to uphold Basic Law, bear allegiance to HKSAR People's Daily 16 Jan 2021 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government has started to require all civil servants to swear to uphold the HKSAR Basic Law and bear allegiance to the HKSAR.
- Hong Kong 'strongly' slams critical US congressional report Press TV 16 Jan 2021 -- The Hong Kong government has "strongly" censured a US congressional report on Beijing's policies in the financial hub city, slamming it as "biased, politically motivated and not reflecting the truth" amid persisting US meddling in China's internal affairs.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list