Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
10 January 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Spring Festival travel rush to scale down amid virus resurgence Global Times 10 Jan 2021 -- As more Chinese provinces and cities have released tightened travel guidelines, some of which are intended to dissuade migrant workers from returning to their hometowns during the upcoming Spring Festival, industry insiders and experts expect that this year's chunyun travel rush, which is normally the world's largest human migration, will be affected by the current epidemic control measures, following the latest coronavirus resurgence in northern regions, and that it will weigh on the first-quarter economic performance.
- Beijing reports two positive COVID-19 cases, including ride-hailing driver Global Times 10 Jan 2021 -- Beijing on Saturday reported one newly confirmed COVID-19 case and one asymptomatic case, both of whom live in the city's Shunyi district, local health authorities said at a press briefing on Sunday. The asymptomatic patient is a ride-hailing driver, and a total of 359 close contacts have been tracked down so far.
- Liaoning port city locks down some neighborhoods, screens residents for free amid surging imported COVID-19 cases Global Times 10 Jan 2021 -- The city of Yingkou in Northeast China's Liaoning Province has rolled out lockdowns in some neighborhoods near the port and offered free nucleic acid tests for residents as a preventive measure, after the city recently reported 12 imported COVID-19 cases related to a cargo ship docking in the city's Mackerel Circle.
- Hebei outbreak from overseas; patient zero emerged before Dec 15 Global Times 10 Jan 2021 -- The virus strain found in coronavirus-hit Hebei Province in North China is believed to be from overseas and patient zero had emerged before December 15, Hebei authorities revealed on Sunday, but how the virus was imported remains a mystery.
- 7-day valid COVID-19 test results required for people from low-risk areas to enter several regions in China Global Times 10 Jan 2021 -- Amid growing concerns of another round of COVID-19 infections over the upcoming Spring Festival travel rush, a number of provinces and cities in China have issued requirements specifying that people from low-risk areas should also provide negative nucleic acid test results valid within seven days upon their return.
- Gatherings under spotlight as Hebei reports 46 more COVID-19 cases Global Times 10 Jan 2021 -- The COVID-19 outbreak in North China's Hebei Province continues to worsen as the province reported another 46 confirmed cases and 13 asymptomatic cases on Sunday, some of whom had been to weddings, fever clinics, school canteens and funerals.
- China's Liaoning reports 1 locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 case People's Daily 10 Jan 2021 -- China's Liaoning Province reported one locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 case in the provincial capital Shenyang on Saturday, the provincial health commission said Sunday.
- China's Hebei reports 46 new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Jan 2021 -- China's Hebei Province reported 46 new locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and 13 asymptomatic cases on Saturday, the provincial health commission said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 21 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese mainland reported 21 new imported COVID-19 cases Saturday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 4,412.
- 16 COVID-19 patients newly discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 10 Jan 2021 -- Sixteen COVID-19 patients were newly discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Saturday, the National Health Commission said in a daily report Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 48 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Saturday reported 69 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases, of whom 48 were locally transmitted and the rest arrived from outside of the mainland, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- North China city Xingtai finds 15 COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Jan 2021 -- The city of Xingtai in north China's Hebei Province has found 15 COVID-19 cases in a citywide nucleic acid testing that started Wednesday morning, local authorities said at a press conference on Saturday.
- Official stresses urgency to curb COVID-19 in Hebei People's Daily 10 Jan 2021 -- China's health authority on Friday called for strengthened measures to curb COVID-19's recent spread in north China's Hebei Province.
- Hong Kong reports 59 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Jan 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported 59 additional confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, the highest in more than a week, taking its total tally to 9,211.
- China to tighten anti-epidemic measures ahead of Spring Festival People's Daily 10 Jan 2021 -- China will take more stringent epidemic prevention and control measures amid higher risks of COVID-19 contagion during this winter-spring period, especially the upcoming Spring Festival holiday.
- China to offer free COVID-19 vaccination to citizens: official People's Daily 10 Jan 2021 -- The cost of COVID-19 vaccination, including both vaccines' expenses and inoculation fees, will be covered by medical insurance fund and government fiscal, rather than individuals, said a Chinese official Saturday.
- N China city suspends public transport to stem COVID-19 resurgence People's Daily 10 Jan 2021 -- Public transportation, including buses, subways and taxis, has been suspended indefinitely in the city of Shijiazhuang, capital of north China's Hebei Province, local authorities said Saturday.
- Chinese mainland reports 17 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 10 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese mainland on Friday reported 33 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases, of whom 17 were locally transmitted and the rest arrived from outside the mainland, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- China administers over 9 mln doses of self-developed COVID-19 vaccines People's Daily 10 Jan 2021 -- China has administered more than 9 million doses of self-developed COVID-19 vaccines. A senior health official announced this at a press conference on Saturday.
- Twin-seat variation & domestic engine-equipped version of J-20 make official appearances Global Times 10 Jan 2021 -- A twin-seat variation of China's J-20 stealth fighter jet and a J-20 version equipped with a domestically made engine have been spotted for the first time in official videos recently released by its developer and the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Air Force, only days before the 10th anniversary on Monday of the aircraft's maiden flight.
- Pompeo 'ending limits' on relations breaks bottom line of China-US ties, puts Taiwan in imminent danger: experts Global Times 10 Jan 2021 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's announcement on lifting restrictions on Taiwan relations broke the bottom line of China-US ties, and the outgoing Trump administration's last-ditch effort on Taiwan is like hanging a sword over bilateral ties with China which will put Taiwan in imminent danger, Chinese experts said.
- Biden committed to strong, principled support for Taiwan CNA 10 Jan 2021 -- An official with United States President-elect Joe Biden's transition team said Saturday that Biden believes American support for Taiwan must remain "strong, principled, and bipartisan," and he will work to ensure that.
- Taiwan welcomes lifting of U.S. restrictions on official contact CNA 10 Jan 2021 -- Taiwan's Presidential Office on Sunday hailed the United States' decision to remove the restrictions on contact between officials of the two countries, saying it was a reflection of the solid partnership between the two countries.
- Biden seen likely to retain U.S. decision on exchanges with Taiwan CNA 10 Jan 2021 -- Two Taiwanese scholars said Sunday that the incoming administration of United States President-elect Joe Biden is unlikely to revoke the current U.S. administration's decision Saturday to lift restrictions on contact between American and Taiwanese officials.
- State Department lifts restrictions on U.S.-Taiwan contact CNA 10 Jan 2021 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Saturday announced that Washington is lifting restrictions on contacts between U.S. officials and their Taiwanese counterparts, that have been in place since Washington cut ties with Taipei in favor of Beijing in 1979.
- US ends decades-old restrictions on diplomatic ties with Taiwan Press TV 10 Jan 2021 -- The United States has lifted decades-old restrictions on contacts with Taiwan, in a last-ditch effort to further challenge China's sovereignty over the self-ruled island, during the final days of Donald Trump's presidency.
- US State Department Ends Restrictions on Contacts with Taiwan Officials VOA 10 Jan 2021 -- The United States is lifting self-imposed restrictions on contacts between U.S. officials and their Taiwanese counterparts, while maintaining the unofficial relationship between the two democracies.
- HK govt refutes 'appalling' joint statement by Australia, US, UK, Canada Global Times 10 Jan 2021 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government on Sunday refuted the joint statement issued by the foreign ministers of Australia, Canada, UK and US over the arrested Hong Kong anti-government figures, saying it is "appalling" to see some foreign government officials make comments that seemingly suggest people holding certain political beliefs should be immune to legal sanctions.
- China's law-enforcers vow to strengthen legal action against market monopoly Global Times 10 Jan 2021 -- China has vowed to strengthen legal actions against unfair competition and monopolies on the market to protect the legitimate rights of entities at the Central Political and Legal Work Conference, which was held in Beijing on Saturday and Sunday, according to media reports.
- China issues plan on building rule of law PLA Daily 10 Jan 2021 -- China has issued a plan on building the rule of law.
- China achieves new progress in international development cooperation: white paper PLA Daily 10 Jan 2021 -- grants, interest-free loans, and concessional loans, it said.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list