Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
08 January 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Virus-hit Hebei capital stays calm in de-facto lockdown Global Times 08 Jan 2021 -- Despite the COVID-19 flare-ups in Shijiazhuang, capital of North China's Hebei Province, residents seem ready to overcome boredom and worry three days after the de-facto lockdown, with their optimism, calm and sense of responsibility. Shijiazhuang announced on Thursday that all people and vehicles in the city are not allowed to leave.
- Beijing suspends religious gatherings to curb COVID-19 risk Global Times 08 Jan 2021 -- All 155 religious venues in Beijing will be temporarily closed, and gatherings will be suspended starting Friday for epidemic control purposes, an official from the city's Ethnic and Religious Affairs Commission announced on Friday at a press conference.
- Chinese vaccines slower than Pfizer in WHO validation, but 'intl orders unaffected' Global Times 08 Jan 2021 -- The World Health Organization is reportedly reviewing Chinese COVID-19 vaccines for possible emergency listing, and Chinese analysts believe that if Chinese vaccines, including CanSinoBIO's vaccine, is approved by WHO, it would significantly improve the confidence of developing and Western countries in Chinese vaccines.
- Mass vaccination urged in China to avoid "immunity gap" Global Times 08 Jan 2021 -- China's Sinovac's COVID-19 vaccine revealed on Thursday 78 percent efficacy rate and 100 percent protection against severe coronavirus infections in Phase III trials conducted in Brazil, bringing it closer to its domestic approval for the market and raises hopes for the second effective Chinese vaccine to be widely used, experts said.
- Update: Communities in Beijing 'sub-center' Tongzhou district enter 'war-time' mode for COVID-19 prevention purposes Global Times 08 Jan 2021 -- Communities in Tongzhou district in China's capital Beijing were asked to enter "war-time" mode for epidemic control purposes as COVID-19 flare-ups in the adjacent Hebei Province continued, announced Tongzhouzugong, the official WeChat account of the Organization Department of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Tongzhou District Committee.
- Some COVID-19 confirmed patients in N.China's Shijiazhuang outbreak attended recent religious activities: media Global Times 08 Jan 2021 -- Some COVID-19 elderly patients in a local village had attended religious activities regularly at a villager's home before they were confirmed in the latest outbreak in Shijiazhuang, North China's Hebei Province, a village head told Beijing-based Health Times on Thursday.
- Sinovac's COVID-19 vaccine 78% effective in phase 3 trial in Brazil Global Times 08 Jan 2021 -- A COVID-19 vaccine developed by China's Sinovac was shown to be 78 percent effective during its final-stage trials in Brazil, becoming the second Chinese-developed COVID-19 vaccine to release its late-stage results and reach far beyond the threshold of efficacy of 50 percent.
- 10 medical teams sent to China's Hebei to aid COVID-19 screening People's Daily 08 Jan 2021 -- A total of 10 medical teams from two provinces in east China have been assigned to Hebei Province to help with nucleic acid testing as Hebei has reported over 100 confirmed COVID-19 cases since the beginning of 2021.
- China provides more medical equipment to help Zambia fight COVID-19 People's Daily 08 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese government on Thursday donated more medical equipment to help Zambia tackle the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- U.S. ambassador to U.N. to visit Taiwan Jan. 13-15 CNA 08 Jan 2021 -- The U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Kelly Craft will visit Taiwan Jan. 13-15 for meetings with senior Taiwanese counterparts and members of the diplomatic community, her office announced on Thursday.
- China opposes planned Taiwan visit by U.S. UN ambassador: Chinese mission People's Daily 08 Jan 2021 -- A spokesperson of China's Permanent Mission to the United Nations said on Thursday that China opposes a planned Taiwan visit by Kelly Craft, the U.S. permanent representative to the United Nations.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on January 8, 2021 PRC MofA 08 Jan 2021
- Chinese FM holds talks with Botswana counterpart on bilateral cooperation Global Times 08 Jan 2021 -- Visiting Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Thursday held talks here with his Botswana counterpart Lemogang Kwape on bilateral cooperation.
- Calling Chinese media reports on Capitol riot 'propaganda' arrogant, double standards: FM Global Times 08 Jan 2021 -- Whether the Chinese media reported the US Capitol riot or not, the fact was there and why said the Chinese media's reports are propaganda when the US media has been making lots of reporting and comments? Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying asked at a press conference on Friday.
- China's Propaganda Machine 'Makes Deliberate Use' of Washington Violence Radio Free Asia 08 Jan 2021 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP)'s propaganda machine stepped up a gear this week, mocking the United States after a pro-Trump mob stormed the U.S. Congress building in Washington as it prepared to vote on endorsing President-elect Joe Biden's win in November's elections.
- HKSAR gov't resolutely safeguards national security without fear People's Daily 08 Jan 2021 -- A spokesman for China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said on Thursday that it is the HKSAR's constitutional responsibilities to safeguard national security.
- Hong Kong Website Blocked, Sparking Fears Over Great Firewall Radio Free Asia 08 Jan 2021 -- A website dedicated to publishing first-hand accounts of the Hong Kong pro-democracy movement has warned its users to prepare for large-scale internet blocks, filters, and censorship in future, in the first indication that China may be exporting its Great Firewall to the city under a draconian national security law that took effect on July 1.
- China Punishes Alibaba with Regulatory Crackdown Radio Free Asia 08 Jan 2021 -- Two weeks after China's government announced an antitrust investigation into the online giant Alibaba Group, it remains unclear whether the probe marks a turning point for the country's successful web-based businesses or solely a crackdown on company co-founder Jack Ma.
- Chinese Official Singles Out Jack Ma's Ant Group Amid Fintech Probe Warning Radio Free Asia 08 Jan 2021 -- China's banking regulator has vowed to crack down heavily on the "disorderly expansion of capital" and "chaotic innovation" among tech companies providing financial (fintech) services including Ant Group, as the company's founder, tech tycoon Jack Ma, remains out of the public eye amid mounting speculation that he has been detained by the authorities.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list