Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
06 January 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- China Negotiates With WHO Over Permission for Experts to Travel to Wuhan VOA 06 Jan 2021 -- China says it is negotiating with the World Health Organization over the final arrangements for a team of international experts to enter the country to investigate the origin of the COVD-19 pandemic.
- China, WHO still in consultation to ensure smooth progress of expert team's visit to China for virus origin-tracing: FM Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- China and the World Health Organization (WHO) are still in consultation to ensure the smooth progress of the visit by the WHO's international expert team to China, and the country is overcoming difficulties to speed up preparations and create conditions for the visit, a Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson said Wednesday.
- Beijing 'political moat' clamps down to fight COVID surge Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- Just one night after announcing it was entering the "wartime mode," North China's Hebei Province, which neighbors Chinese capital Beijing, began putting in place various COVID-19 prevention measures on Wednesday amid a sudden spike in coronavirus infections, including controls on highways passing through Hebei leading to Beijing and other provinces, stopping sales of railway tickets to Beijing, suspending classes in schools, implementing closed-off managements in residential communities in provincial capital Shijiazhuang, and taking sweeping nucleic acid tests.
- Beijing raises guard against Hebei outbreak with stricter measures in transport systems, communities Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- Beijing is showing determination to safeguard its safety amid recent COVID-19 outbreaks, especially a resurgence in neighboring Hebei Province. Highways, railway authorities and local communities have adopted strict measures to ensure that people entering the capital are not potential sources of a new infection surge with the 2021 Spring Festival less than six weeks away.
- Virus found in Hebei similar to Russian strain: China CDC Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- The coronavirus found in Xingtai of North China's Hebei Province is similar to the one imported from Europe, gene sequencing results show, the local disease control authority said on Wednesday.
- Inactivated vaccines can't end outbreak, but suitable to protect general public: experts Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- After the latest coronavirus outbreaks, including one in North China's Hebei Province, prompted the public to discuss whether vaccines can tackle the problem, experts explained although the approved inactivated vaccines cannot cure the infected, they are suitable for China to protect the general public.
- S.China's Guangdong finds one case with South African variant of COVID-19 Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- The Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in South China's Guangdong Province has identified a South African COVID-19 variant strain in a throat swab test on Wednesday, marking a second discovery of a new strain, following the discovery of a strain from the UK in a separate imported case on Saturday.
- Shenyang vaccinates 30,000 people, no adverse reactions reported: CDC official Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- CDC officials in Shenyang, capital of Northeast China's Liaoning Province, revealed on Wednesday that more than 30,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines have been administered to key groups of people, with no adverse reactions reported.
- East China reports an expat teacher from the UK reinfected with COVID-19 Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- Hangzhou, the capital of East China's Zhejiang Province, on Wednesday reported one COVID-19 reinfection case, a silent carrier of the coronavirus from the UK, who is a foreign teacher working in Hangzhou. All the related campuses have been suspended.
- 326,000 people receive COVID-19 vaccines in Shanghai; Chinese vaccines effective for virus variants Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- Shanghai on Wednesday announced that permanent residents and those with household registration in the city who plan to work or study abroad for personal reasons before February 12 can book an appointment to receive free COVID-19 emergency vaccines. The city's expats are not included in the scheme yet.
- Hebei restricts interprovincial traffic, raises COVID-19 risk level in district Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- One night after announcing it was entering "wartime mode," North China's Hebei Province, which neighbors Chinese capital Beijing, began putting in place various COVID-19 prevention measures on Wednesday amid a sudden spike in infections, including controls on highways passing through Hebei leading to Beijing and other provinces, the suspension of inter-city bus services, and raising the whole of Gaocheng district in provincial capital Shijiazhuang to high-risk area.
- China's Hebei reports 20 new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- China's Hebei Province on Tuesday reported 20 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases, bringing the total number of existing confirmed cases to 39 in the province.
- Chinese mainland reports 23 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- China's National Health Commission said Wednesday that it received reports of 32 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Tuesday, of which 23 were locally transmitted and nine were imported.
- China's Heilongjiang reports 1 new confirmed COVID-19 case People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- China's Heilongjiang Province on Tuesday reported one new confirmed COVID-19 case and one asymptomatic case, the provincial health commission said Wednesday.
- Northeast China's Suifenhe cleared of COVID-19 cases People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- Locally transmitted COVID-19 cases treated in northeast China's Suifenhe, a port city of Heilongjiang Province, dropped to zero on Tuesday, local authorities said.
- Cities tighten COVID-19 control measures amid winter resurgence People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- Chinese cities are tightening control measures to tackle the resurgence of the novel coronavirus through the winter months following recent sporadic spikes in confirmed cases.
- China's Hebei reports 14 new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- China's Hebei Province reported 14 locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases and 30 asymptomatic cases on Monday, the provincial health commission said on Tuesday.
- India Offers to Boost Sri Lankan Navy as China Challenges Delhi's Dominance in Indian Ocean Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- To counter China's maritime influence in its backyard, India has been strengthening defence ties with countries in and around the Indian Ocean. India's foreign minister recently assured that India will be a reliable partner for the island nation.
- China to respond to planned Taiwan-US military talks Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- China has voiced strong opposition to planned military talks between the United States and Taiwan, warning that it would give the "necessary response" to the negotiations.
- China Is Increasing Taiwan Airspace Incursions VOA 06 Jan 2021 -- The number of Chinese incursions into Taiwan's airspace last year was the highest since 1996, which experts say is worsening the risk for conflict without drawing international headlines.
- China calls for caution in dealing with Syria chemical weapon issue People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- A Chinese envoy on Tuesday called for caution in dealing with the issue of Syria's chemical weapons.
- Chinese arms company delivers 50th made-for-export Wing Loong II drone Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- The 50th Chinese-made Wing Loong II drone was delivered at the end of 2020, showing China's high-end drone products are fully suitable for the international market, analysts said on Tuesday.
- China develops world-class escape system for submarine crew members Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- China has developed a new type of escape system for individual submarine crew members and successfully completed a combat testing for the system, as the country reaches world-level in related technologies, according to recent media reports.
- China starts 2021 military recruitment work PLA Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- China has officially started the biannual military recruitment work in 2021 recently. Due to the outbreak of COVID-19, the biannual recruitment mechanism, which was originally planned to start in 2020, will be implemented from the year 2021. This will be the first time for the Chinese military to carry out recruitment work in spring since 1990.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on January 6, 2021 PRC MofA 06 Jan 2021
- Africa is a stage for international cooperation, not for great power games: Chinese FM Wang Yi Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- Africa should be a stage for international cooperation, not an arena for great power games, said Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi, during his visit to Nigeria on Tuesday as part of his five-nation tour to Africa.
- US government ridiculous to restrict eight Chinese apps: Foreign Ministry Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying urged the US government to abide by principles of market economy and fair competition, international economic and trade rules, and provide an open, fair & non-discriminatory business climate for investors in the US, including Chinese companies.
- Beijing Blasts US Over Ban on Chinese Payment Apps, Says Move Hurts Market Order Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- On Tuesday, US President Donald Trump again escalated the US-China trade war by signing an executive order banning the use of eight major Chinese payment apps, including Alipay, the world's largest online payment platform, which is used by over one billion people.
- Wall Street, China May Have Influenced NYSE Reversal on Chinese Telecoms VOA 06 Jan 2021 -- In a surprising reversal, the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) announced early this week that it no longer intended to delist three Chinese telecom companies that had been targeted by the outgoing Trump administration for suspected ties to the Chinese military.
- China's central bank to strengthen regulation over fintech Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- China's central bank vowed to implement new measures to further promote China's financial sector's development including strengthening regulations governing the fintech sector, releasing accurate monetary policies, and further opening up China's financial sector, according to a statement on the People's Bank of China's website.
- On the Mass Arrests of Democracy Advocates in Hong Kong US Dept. of State 06 Jan 2021 -- Today's arrests of more than 50 politicians and pro-democracy advocates by local authorities in Hong Kong is an outrage, and a reminder of the Chinese Communist Party's contempt for its own people and the rule of law. Those arrested are guilty of nothing but exercising the democratic rights promised to them by treaty, and due to them through virtue of their humanity. They should be released immediately and unconditionally.
- Hong Kong Police Arrest Dozens of Opposition Politicians, Activists For 'Subversion' Radio Free Asia 06 Jan 2021 -- National security police in Hong Kong on Wednesday arrested more than 50 opposition politicians and activists in a city-wide crackdown on dissent under a draconian law imposed by the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP).
- At Least 50 Hong Kong Pro-Democracy Figures Arrested in Pre-Dawn Raids VOA 06 Jan 2021 -- At least 50 pro-democracy activists were arrested Wednesday in Hong Kong in the biggest crackdown on opposition forces in the semiautonomous city under the new national security law.
- Hong Kong Arrests Over 50 Opposition Figures Under National Security Law, Reports Say Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- Police in Hong Kong on Wednesday detained over 50 high-profile anti-Beijing activists and politicians, including one US national, in early morning raids, media reported.
- Hong Kong pro-democracy arrests: Foreign Secretary statement UK FCDO 06 Jan 2021 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab comments on the arrest of over 50 pro-democracy politicians and activists under the National Security Law in Hong Kong.
- Taiwan condemns arrest of Hong Kong democracy activists CNA 06 Jan 2021 -- Taiwan on Wednesday condemned Hong Kong police for the arrest of over 50 democracy activists and harassing pro-democracy media outlets earlier that day under the territory's controversial national security law.
- 53 HK anti-govt figures arrested for subversion to 'deter natl security law offenders' Global Times 06 Jan 2021 -- The Hong Kong Police Force confirmed on Wednesday afternoon that it arrested 53 people on charges of subversion, including six involved in organizing and planning it, in a move which observers said is a legitimate and long-awaited action.
- Hong Kong police arrest over 50 suspected of violating national security law People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- More than 50 people were arrested during a police operation on Wednesday on suspicion of committing crimes including subversion under the national security law in Hong Kong, the Hong Kong police said.
- Hong Kong police arrest dozens for violating national security law Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- Police in Hong Kong have arrested dozens of individuals for violating the national security law by either organizing or participating in an unauthorized "primary election" in the semi-autonomous city last year.
- Hong Kong Mass 'Subversion' Arrests Prompt Calls to Drop EU Investment Deal Radio Free Asia 06 Jan 2021 -- The mass arrests of Hong Kong opposition politicians and activists under China's draconian national security law on Wednesday have sparked calls on the European Parliament to reject a controversial investment pact recently agreed between the EU and Beijing.
- EU Concerned About Arrests of Over 50 Activists in Hong Kong Under Security Law Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- The European Union is concerned about the arrests of more than 50 opposition activists in Hong Kong and urges China to release them, a European Commission spokesman said Wednesday.
- Turkish Opposition Leader Says Extradition Treaty With China Should Hinge on Xinjiang Probe Radio Free Asia 06 Jan 2021 -- Turkish opposition leader Sel├žuk ├ľzda─č has called on President Recep Tayyip Erdo─čan to withdraw an extradition treaty with China, saying ratification should not proceed until Beijing allows independent monitors to probe reports of human rights abuses in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR).
- China Notifies Downstream Mekong Neighbors Days After It Began Holding Back Water Radio Free Asia 06 Jan 2021 -- China informed downstream Mekong River neighbors of a 20-day water restriction at its southernmost dam on the waterway six days after it started holding back water on Dec. 31, drawing a mix of credit for sharing data with downstream governments and criticism for not giving Thailand, Cambodia and others advance notice.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list