Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
05 January 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- WHO Chief 'Disappointed' China Hasn't Allowed Researchers into Wuhan VOA 05 Jan 2021 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) expressed disappointment Tuesday with the failure of Chinese officials to grant final permission to an international team of researchers to enter the country to investigate the origins of the coronavirus.
- Hebei enters 'wartime' mode with dozens of cases related to gatherings Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- North China's Hebei Province entered "wartime" mode after recording 59 cases in three days and its capital city is rolling out a city-wide testing, which prompted many to ask if the epidemic is making a big comeback in winter and if the outbreak is controllable.
- North China's Shijiazhuang launches citywide COVID-19 testing, starting Wednesday Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- Shijiazhuang in North China's Hebei Province will roll out city-wide nucleic acid COVID-19 testing starting Wednesday: local officials
- China's COVID-19 vaccine production in full swing to meet mass vaccination demand Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- Chinese vaccine producers are swinging in full speed to produce vaccines as China has carried out nationwide vaccination, and overseas buyers are waiting for the vaccines to get rid of the severe epidemic.
- NE China's Shenyang improves testing program after complaints, conflicts Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- Shenyang in Northeast China's Liaoning Province has seen two cases where residents and epidemic control staff had conflicts when the city's 8.3 million people rolled out massive testing in the bleak weather.
- Newly confirmed coronavirus strain in Hebei an imported one, likely from Europe: CDC official Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- The coronavirus strain of newly confirmed COVID-19 cases across North China's Hebei Province has been determined to be an imported one, very likely from Europe, Feng Zijian, Chinese CDC deputy director, said at a press conference on Tuesday night.
- East China's Shandong reports first confirmed case with new virus strain Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- East China's Shandong becomes the third province to report its first confirmed COVID-19 case of the new coronavirus strain on Tuesday.
- Hebei enters 'wartime' mode for COVID-19 prevention after 19 confirmed cases Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- North China's Hebei Province, which is adjacent to Beijing, announced entering "wartime" mode on Tuesday night after the province revealed 19 confirmed coronavirus cases and 40 asymptomatic ones since Saturday. It has started nucleic acid testing for all personnel and inspection of the cold-chain food industry.
- Beijing adopts '14+7' policy, extending quarantine period to up to 3 weeks Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- Beijing tightened its quarantine and medical observation measures for travelers from outside of the city, requiring observation period for arrivals from overseas, which is 14 days, to be extended by another seven days if environment or people on their flights tested positive.
- Dalian punishes 5 officials for violating epidemic prevention rules Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- Despite the recent spike in COVID-19 cases and "fake negatives" looming over the city of Dalian in Northeast China's Liaoning Province, several government officials were still found to be neglecting their duties and even breaking epidemic prevention and control regulations. On Tuesday, two cases reportedly saw five officials punished for organizing private gatherings while in quarantine and disobeying anti-virus rules.
- Hebei village becomes only COVID-19 high-risk area in China Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- A village in Shijiazhuang, North China's Hebei Province, raised its COVID-19 emergency response level to high-risk on Tuesday, becoming the only high-risk area in China at the moment.
- China's Covid-19 vaccine plants able to produce 1 billion doses in 2021 Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- Leading Chinese vaccine producers are racking up efforts to make COVID-19 vaccines and they are ready for large-scale production as the country tries to meet domestic demand for mass vaccination, Chinese officials said on Tuesday.
- Chinese companies announce one-hour testing kits for mutant B117 variant strain Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- Two Chinese firms on Tuesday announced they had developed a rapid testing kit for the more transmissible variant of COVID-19, initially reported by the UK on December 14, and both said that results can come as fast as one hour.
- China vaccinating key groups against COVID-19 People's Daily 05 Jan 2021 -- China is administering COVID-19 vaccines to key groups across the country, with Beijing slated to complete the inoculation for key groups before the Spring Festival, which falls on Feb. 12 this year.
- China open to int'l cooperation on COVID-19 vaccine: FM spokesperson People's Daily 05 Jan 2021 -- China is always open to international cooperation on COVID-19 vaccine and highly values the safety and effectiveness of vaccines, a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Monday.
- China to expand COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing capacity People's Daily 05 Jan 2021 -- The Ministry of Industry and Information Technology has moved to facilitate corporate cooperation along industrial chains to accelerate the industrialization of COVID-19 vaccines and expand production capacity to ensure the supply of vaccines, an official said Tuesday.
- China's Hebei reports 14 new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 05 Jan 2021 -- China's Hebei Province reported 14 locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases and 30 asymptomatic cases on Monday, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 17 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 05 Jan 2021 -- China's National Health Commission said Tuesday that it received reports of 33 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Monday, of which 17 were locally transmitted and 16 were imported.
- China's Hebei reports 4 new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 05 Jan 2021 -- China's Hebei Province reported four locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases and 13 asymptomatic cases on Sunday, the provincial health commission said Monday.
- Hong Kong reports 53 new COVID-19 cases, exceeding 9,000 in total People's Daily 05 Jan 2021 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported 53 additional confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Monday, taking its total tally to 9,017.
- Beijing strengthens anti-epidemic measures for public transport People's Daily 05 Jan 2021 -- Beijing has further laid out requirements for COVID-19 prevention and control in the public transport services, including taxis and road passenger transportation.
- COVID-19: Indonesia Plans to Launch Mass Innoculations With Chinese Vaccine Next Week Radio Free Asia 05 Jan 2021 -- Indonesia is poised to begin its mass COVID-19 inoculation drive starting with a Chinese-made vaccine on Jan. 13, officials said Tuesday, as the archipelago-nation combats Southeast Asia's worst coronavirus caseload.
- Experts: Report of China Hacking African Union HQ Fits Larger Pattern VOA 05 Jan 2021 -- A recent report that Chinese hackers secretly redirected surveillance footage from the African Union headquarters so it could be viewed abroad is part of a larger pattern by Chinese networks to electronically infiltrate key communication channels in Africa, experts say.
- Taiwan's mainland affairs council's malicious smears against mainland-made vaccine strongly condemned Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- The Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council stronly condemned the remarks against the mainland-made vaccine by the mainland affairs council (MAC) on the island, saying it showed again the MAC's malicious intent to incite conflicts.
- China urges calm, Russia warns against overdramatizing as Iran ramps up uranium enrichment Press TV 05 Jan 2021 -- China has invited all sides involved in Iran's "sensitive" nuclear issue to exercise restraint, while Russia has warned that there is nothing to overdramatize about Iran's "predictable" announcement that it is enriching uranium to a higher level.
- China to launch core module of space station in first half of 2021 PLA Daily 05 Jan 2021 -- China plans to launch the core module of its manned space station in the first half of 2021, a senior official said Friday.
- China aims for 40-plus space launch missions in 2021, space station construction to be top priority: CASC Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- China's biggest rocket contractor China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation (CASC) has outlined its aim to conduct more than 40 space launch missions in 2021, and the construction of the country's first ever space station will be its top priority, according to a CASC official press release on Monday.
- China's Z-11WB armed light helicopter set to enter PLA service: reports Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- China's domestically developed 2 ton-class Z-11WB armed helicopter is expected to enter service with the People's Liberation Army (PLA) and play a key role in ground attack, reconnaissance and antiterrorism, recent reports suggested.
- China's top warship maker builds new shipyard, phase I project to complete by 2023 Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- China's major manufacturer of amphibious assault ships, amphibious landing ships and frigates on Monday started constructing an advanced new shipyard in Shanghai, a move analysts said on Tuesday would boost China's technical level and efficiency in building such vessels.
- China opposes US' insidious attack on civilian-military integration: FM Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- China firmly opposes the US government's insidious attacks against China's civilian-military integration drive, its penchant for politicizing commercial issues and cracking down on Chinese companies by abusing its state power, Hua Chunying, a spokesperson of the Foreign Ministry, said on Tuesday during a news briefing, in response to the Global Times' report that China could ask US companies to disclose their connections to US military.
- Chinese military releases CPC regulations for armed forces PLA Daily 05 Jan 2021 -- The Central Military Commission has issued a set of regulations regarding the work of the Communist Party of China (CPC) committees in the armed forces.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on January 5, 2021 PRC MofA 05 Jan 2021
- Statement from National Security Advisor Robert C. O'Brien on the Executive Order Addressing Chinese Software Applications The White House 05 Jan 2021
- Statement from U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross on President Trump's Executive Order: "Addressing the Threat Posed by Applications and other Software Developed or Controlled by Chinese Companies" US Dept. of Commerce 05 Jan 2021 -- Today, President Donald J. Trump signed an Executive Order (E.O.) titled, "Addressing the Threat Posed by Applications and other Software Developed or Controlled by Chinese Companies."
- Trump Signs Executive Order Blacklisting Alipay, Seven Other Chinese Apps Sputnik 05 Jan 2021 -- The Trump administration's previous attempt to ban Tencent's WeChat and QQ Wallet apps in October was blocked by a US federal court, which said banning them from app stores was far too broad to be construed as protecting US national security interests.
- New York Stock Exchange Reverses Plans to Remove Three Chinese Telecom Firms from Index VOA 05 Jan 2021 -- The New York Stock Exchange says it will no longer go ahead with plans to remove three Chinese telecommunication companies from the index in compliance with an executive order issued by U.S. President Donald Trump.
- Chinese FM lashes out at Pompeo's tweet challenging China's undeniable status as near-Arctic country Global Times 05 Jan 2021 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying on Tuesday lashed out at a recent tweet by the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo challenging China's status as a near-arctic country, and asked on what grounds the US constantly conducts military drills in the South China Sea, considering its distance from the region.
- China calls on US to stop spreading 'fake info' about Beijing Press TV 05 Jan 2021 -- China has dismissed US accusations of undermining international rule of law, calling on Washington to stop manufacturing fake information about Beijing and return to rationality and reason.
- China opposes adverse provisions in US defense act: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 05 Jan 2021 -- China firmly opposes adverse provisions against China in the US National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2021 and lodges solemn representations to the United States, Senior Colonel Ren Guoqiang, spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense (MND), said in a statement released on Monday.
- Ethnic Mongolians Call on Beijing to Probe Disappearance of Poverty Funds Radio Free Asia 05 Jan 2021 -- A community of ethnic Mongolian herders in China's northern region of Inner Mongolia have called on ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) leader Xi Jinping to crack down on corruption by local officials.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list