Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
04 January 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- One Year After Li Wenliang's Death, Whistleblower, Relatives Still Feel The Heat Radio Free Asia 04 Jan 2021 -- One year after the death of whistleblowing Wuhan doctor Li Wenliang, authorities in the central province of Hubei are keeping his family under tight surveillance and restrictions, while his colleague and fellow whistleblower Ai Fen is no longer able to work after failing to receive treatment for a detached retina, RFA has learned.
- China vaccinates up to thousands every day as winter spurs COVID-19 spread Global Times 04 Jan 2021 -- More Chinese cities have begun mass COVID-19 vaccinations after the New Year holidays as China has approved its domestically produced vaccine for general use and expanded its scope of vaccination during the winter and spring seasons with the country soon embracing its largest holiday travel season by mid-February.
- Health agencies improve public vaccine approval amid nation's second offensive against virus Global Times 04 Jan 2021 -- With China's first domestically produced COVID-19 vaccine getting conditional approval for general use, local health systems throughout China have unveiled public vaccination campaigns starting with the high-risk groups, aiming to administer shots to millions of people before the travel rush of Spring Festival holidays.
- Beijing's major inoculation site vaccinates 2,000 in one day, with no serious adverse effect Global Times 04 Jan 2021 -- The largest COVID-19 vaccination site in Beijing's Chaoyang district entered the fourth day of its operation on Monday. It vaccinated more than 2,000 people on Monday, who were taken in groups to the site in minibuses.
- Chinese official guarantees safety and efficacy of domestically produced COVID-19 vaccines Global Times 04 Jan 2021 -- The Chinese government has always made the safety and efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines a priority, and vaccine manufacturers have always adhered to scientific rules and regulations in pushing forward vaccine development, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said on Monday, as more countries began rolling out Chinese-made vaccines.
- China demands evidence from US following adviser's hype on 'Wuhan lab coronavirus leak' conspiracy theory Global Times 04 Jan 2021 -- China's foreign ministry has demanded that the US immediately offer evidence over reports that Deputy National Security Advisor Matthew Pottinger recently claimed that COVID-19 was likely to be leaked from a Chinese lab, calling such a theory is shoddy lies, and that sought clarity on whether it was Pottinger's own point of view or the stance of the US government.
- New Dalian COVID-19 cases have longer incubation period, with some found to be positive after 11 tests Global Times 04 Jan 2021 -- Dalian, Northeast China's Liaoning Province, announced that it was extending the COVID-19 quarantine period to 21 days from 14 as the new cases in the recent COVID-19 outbreak in the city show a longer incubation period, faster transmission and more complex pattern.
- Beijing to quarantine intl arrivals in 'closed-loop' if they enter China less than 21 days from other domestic ports Global Times 04 Jan 2021 -- Beijing on Monday announced it would quarantine international arrivals in the closed-loop management mode if they enter China in less than 21 days from other domestic ports, a move seen as an upgraded measure from the previous 14 days in closed-loop management, to curb the spread of imported COVID-19 cases.
- N.China city Shijiazhuang enters 'wartime mode' amid sporadic cases Global Times 04 Jan 2021 -- Shijiazhuang, capital city of North China's Hebei Province, has entered " wartime mode" as sporadic cases resurged in the province.
- China's Heilongjiang reports 1 new confirmed COVID-19 case People's Daily 04 Jan 2021 -- China's Heilongjiang Province on Sunday reported one new confirmed COVID-19 case, the provincial health commission said Monday.
- Beijing reports more locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 04 Jan 2021 -- Beijing reported two new locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases on Sunday, local authorities said on Monday.
- China's Liaoning reports 6 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 04 Jan 2021 -- China's Liaoning Province on Sunday reported six locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and one imported case, the provincial health commission said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 13 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 04 Jan 2021 -- China's National Health Commission said Monday that it received reports of 33 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Sunday, including 13 locally transmitted cases and 20 imported ones.
- China's Hebei reports new locally-transmitted COVID-19 case People's Daily 04 Jan 2021 -- North China's Hebei Province reported one locally-transmitted COVID-19 case on Saturday, the provincial health commission said Sunday.
- China city traces COVID-19 infection source to imported frozen food People's Daily 04 Jan 2021 -- Preliminary investigation has traced the source of the latest local transmissions of COVID-19 in the northeastern Chinese port city of Dalian to imported cold-chain food, a local health official said Sunday.
- COVID-19 found on multiple auto part packaging samples in China People's Daily 04 Jan 2021 -- Multiple auto part packaging samples have tested positive for the novel coronavirus in various parts of China, after a company engaged in auto part sales reported a confirmed COVID-19 case.
- Beijing reports 1 locally transmitted COVID-19 case, 1 imported case People's Daily 04 Jan 2021 -- Beijing reported one new locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 case and one imported case on Saturday, local health authorities said Sunday.
- China Reports 33 New COVID-19 Cases vs 24 A Day Earlier SPA 04 Jan 2021 -- Mainland China reported 33 new COVID-19 cases on Jan. 3, up from 24 cases a day earlier, Reuters cited the country's national health authority as saying today.
- Egypt licenses China's Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use; Israel reports 7 more cases of new coronavirus strain People's Daily 04 Jan 2021 -- Egypt said on Saturday that the COVID-19 vaccine developed by Chinese drugmaker Sinopharm has been officially licensed for emergency use in the country. Meanwhile, Israel on Sunday detected seven more cases of the new coronavirus variant.
- Thailand to order 2 mln doses of China's COVID-19 vaccine: WHO People's Daily 04 Jan 2021 -- Thailand is expected to buy two million doses of COVID-19 vaccine developed by China's pharmaceutical company Sinovac Biotech, the World Health Organization (WHO) in Thailand said Sunday.
- Indonesian Navy Probes 'Sea Glider' Drone Found in National Waters Radio Free Asia 04 Jan 2021 -- The Indonesian Navy said on Monday it was investigating the discovery of an unmarked underwater surveillance drone, which is capable of collecting military data, to determine its country of origin.
- Exiled Tibetans Hold First-Round Voting for New Leaders of India-Based Government Radio Free Asia 04 Jan 2021 -- Tens of thousands of Tibetans in exile have voted in the first round of elections for a new political leader of their exile government in Dharamshala, India.
- Tibetan 'government-in-exile' elects 'leader' under rising uncertainty, won't affect China's policy in region Global Times 04 Jan 2021 -- The so-called "Tibetan government-in-exile" held an election of its new "political leader" over the weekend, who is expected to face several uncertainties, such as the impact from the 14th Dalai Lama succession issue and the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as the needs of the US to use Tibet issue as part of its strategy against China.
- Four Chinese military planes enter Taiwan's ADIZ CNA 04 Jan 2021 -- Four Chinese military aircraft entered Taiwan's southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Monday, the third consecutive day on which such an incursion has occurred, according to Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- China's DF-17 hypersonic missile seen to get stealth upgrade, reports show Global Times 04 Jan 2021 -- One of China's most advanced weapons, the DF-17 hypersonic missile, was seen in media reports to have received an upgrade that experts said on Monday can improve the weapon's capability to disguise itself from hostile reconnaissance and protect itself from complicated battlefield environments.
- J-10C, J-11B fighter jets shine in just-concluded China-Pakistan air exercises Global Times 04 Jan 2021 -- The recently concluded China-Pakistan air exercises benefited both sides, as Chinese pilots could learn from their Pakistani counterparts' maneuvers and experiences, and China's J-10C and J-11B fighter jets could be used to simulate India's Rafale and Su-30 fighter jets in mock battles, Chinese analysts said on Monday.
- Xi signs mobilization order for military training of PLA in 2021 PLA Daily 04 Jan 2021 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping, also general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission (CMC), on Monday signed the first order of the CMC for 2021, a mobilization order for the training of the Chinese armed forces in the new year.
- PLA Hong Kong Garrison conducts 22nd routine rotation PLA Daily 04 Jan 2021 -- According to the Law of the People's Republic of China on Garrisoning the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and approved by the Central Military Commission (CMC), the Hong Kong Garrison of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) conducted its 22nd officer rotation on December 30, 2020.
- PLA Navy develops new submarine escape immersion equipment PLA Daily 04 Jan 2021 -- The new individual Submarine Escape Immersion Equipment (SEIE) has completed the combat performance test in the waters of a sea area of the East China Sea recently, indicating that the PLA Navy submariners' self-rescue and escape capabilities have reached the advanced international level.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on January 4, 2021 PRC MofA 04 Jan 2021
- FM kicks off Africa visit in new year for 31 straight years, showcasing the unshakable friendship Global Times 04 Jan 2021 -- Following a tradition of China's foreign ministers making Africa their first visit of the new year, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi kicked off his official visit to five African countries - Nigeria, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Tanzania, Botswana and Seychelles - on Monday, showcasing an unshakable China-Africa friendship in the post-COVID era under increasing world turbulence, and marking a new beginning in the next 10 years on the "Promised Land."
- China's Nuclear Madness US Dept. of State 04 Jan 2021 -- Op-Ed by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State, Ambassador Marshall S. Billingslea, Special Presidential Envoy for Arms Control
- China may ask US companies to reveal their military links after NYSE's delisting of telco firms: expert Global Times 04 Jan 2021 -- Delisting of major Chinese telecom giants by the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) will have a limited impact on these firms and other companies listed in the US market, and the Chinese government is expected to return in kind to the US for its crackdown on Chinese companies, with possible reciprocal requirement asking US companies doing business in China to reveal their links to the US military, Chinese analysts said on Monday.
- Chinese FM rejects US accusations that China is 'undermining international rule of law' Global Times 04 Jan 2021 -- In a tweet posted on Sunday, the US State Department claimed that China was undermining international rule of law, citing an article accusing the Communist Party of China of "threatening global peace and security‚Ä¶ to serve its own hegemonic ambitions."
- Lawyers Hired to Defend Hong Kong Speedboat Detainees to Lose Licenses Radio Free Asia 04 Jan 2021 -- Authorities in China are moving to strike off two lawyers who defended 12 Hong Kong protesters jailed last week for "illegally crossing a border" after they tried to flee to Taiwan by speedboat.
- Uyghur Iron Traders 'Taught' Cooking at Xinjiang Internment Camp Radio Free Asia 04 Jan 2021 -- Two Uyghurs in the iron trade who expanded their business to Kazakhstan in recent years have been detained in an internment camp in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) where they are being "taught" culinary skills, according to fellow traders.
- Former aircraft carrier program commander expelled from Party for severe discipline violations Global Times 04 Jan 2021 -- Hu Wenming, the former chairman of China's shipbuilding conglomerate and former chief commander of China's aircraft carrier program, was expelled from the Communist Party of China (CPC) for severely violating Party discipline and being suspected of taking bribes and misfeasance, China's top anti-graft agency said on Monday.
- China-Vietnam Border Wall Would Target Smugglers, Chinese Economic Refugees VOA 04 Jan 2021 -- Reports that China is building a wall along the border with Vietnam to keep its own citizens at home spotlights economic hard times on the Chinese side and frustration on both sides with rampant smuggling, analysts believe.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list