Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
03 January 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- Longer quarantine, retrospective testing 'unnecessary' despite 2nd case of COVID-19 variant: epidemiologist Global Times 03 Jan 2021 -- China confirmed on Sunday a second imported case of the new, more transmissible coronavirus variant that has been spreading wildly in the UK. China's chief epidemiologist and public health experts said the current prevention mechanism will be effective in warding off the spread of the imported variant in China, but the measures might be escalated if more cases occur.
- NE China's Liaoning continues to strengthen COVID-19 control measures after super spreaders emerge Global Times 03 Jan 2021 -- Among the 41 "COVID-19 medium-risk areas," there are 13 in Shenyang and 16 in Dalian, two key cities in Northeast China's Liaoning Province, according to health authorities on Sunday.
- Beijing, Shandong kick off mass vaccination for key groups Global Times 03 Jan 2021 -- China's capital city Beijing, along with East China's Shandong Province, has started its first round of free mass COVID-19 vaccinations for key groups amid sporadic cases. Beijing has set up 220 vaccination sites where more than 70,000 people have received shots so far.
- Wuhan calls on public to stockpile emergency materials, drawing on lessons from early stages of epidemic Global Times 03 Jan 2021 -- Central China's Wuhan, where the COVID-19 epidemic first broke out, has released a list of emergency materials that Chinese families should stock, and called on the public to make preparations in the event that another serious outbreak occurs.
- Last local COVID-19 patient in November outbreak discharged from hospital in Shanghai Global Times 03 Jan 2021 -- Shanghai, Guangzhou, Qingdao are among Chinese cities that have announced that local COVID-19 patients have all been discharged from hospital upon recovery as of Saturday, according to daily reports released by local authorities on Sunday.
- Imported coronavirus variant case reported in Guangdong Global Times 03 Jan 2021 -- An imported coronavirus variant case has been detected in south China's Guangdong Province, the provincial center for disease control and prevention said on Sunday.
- China-Russia border city of Heihe completes mass testing, suspends public transportation amid sporadic cases Global Times 03 Jan 2021 -- Heihe, a China-Russia border city in Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, announced the suspension of all bus and taxi services starting from Sunday, as the city continues to see increasing numbers of sporadic COVID-19 cases.
- Chinese mainland reports 8 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 Jan 2021 -- China's National Health Commission said Sunday that it received reports of 24 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Saturday, including eight locally transmitted case and 16 imported ones.
- 12 COVID-19 patients newly discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 03 Jan 2021 -- Twelve COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Saturday, the National Health Commission said in its daily report Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 8 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 Jan 2021 -- China's National Health Commission said Sunday that it received reports of 24 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Saturday, including eight locally transmitted cases and 16 imported ones.
- Planned Chinese Dam Along South Asian River Triggers Concerns in India, Bangladesh VOA 03 Jan 2021 -- China's planned super dam on a major river that flows into India and Bangladesh threatens to turn into another in a series of flashpoints with New Delhi, and has sparked concerns in Bangladesh, which is critically reliant on the river for its fresh water supply.
- China warns UK against deploying warships to South China Sea Press TV 03 Jan 2021 -- China has sent a stern warning to the United Kingdom against plans to deploy warships to the disputed South China Sea, threatening that such a "hostile" move would provoke retaliation from Beijing.
- Washington claims China offered bounties for US troops in Afghanistan Press TV 03 Jan 2021 -- The out-going administration of US President Donald Trump is reportedly trying to verify intelligence alleging that China has offered to pay militants in Afghanistan to kill American troops.
- Beijing's policy toward Taiwan unlikely to change in 2021: think tank CNA 03 Jan 2021 -- Beijing's hostile policy toward Taiwan is likely to continue in 2021, according to a year-end report released by the Institute for National Defense and Security Research (INDSR), a government-funded think tank in Taiwan.
- Xi signs order to release revised regulations on military equipment People's Daily 03 Jan 2021 -- Xi Jinping, chairman of the Central Military Commission (CMC), has signed an order to release revised regulations on military equipment.
- China responds to U.S. delisting three Chinese enterprises People's Daily 03 Jan 2021 -- The United States' act of abusing national security to suppress Chinese enterprises is inconsistent with market rules and will weaken the confidence of all parties in the U.S. capital market, a spokesperson for China's Ministry of Commerce said Saturday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list