Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
02 January 2021 - China Special Weapons News
- NE China's Shenyang puts 100,000 people in lockdown amid rising COVID-19 cases Global Times 02 Jan 2021 -- More than 100,000 people in Shenyang, capital of Northeast China's Liaoning Province, have been told not to leave their homes, and 90,000 other "close contacts" of confirmed COVID-19 cases have been placed in quarantine, amid a rising number of cases.
- Beijing brings latest outbreak 'under control,' ups risk prevention at suburban village Global Times 02 Jan 2021 -- The Beijing municipal government said its latest round of the #COVID19 epidemic situation in the city is being brought under control. The local government of Shunyi district in the capital has sent 1,924 close contacts of confirmed cases to 15 hotels that are designated for quarantine as of 15:00 Saturday.
- Beijing Vows to Retaliate Against UK Aircraft Carrier's Possible Mission in S. China Sea Sputnik 02 Jan 2021 -- Chinese Defence Ministry spokesman Tan Kefei has warned the Western powers against sending warships to the South China Sea, vowing that Beijing may retaliate.
- 2020 saw most PLA intrusions into Taiwan's ADIZ since 1996: report CNA 02 Jan 2021 -- In 2020, the Chinese military violated Taiwan's Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) more times than in any year since 1996, with the majority observed in the southwest corner of the ADIZ, according to a recent government-funded report.
- China calls Taiwan's offer of talks as 'cheap trick' Press TV 02 Jan 2021 -- China has dismissed a call for talks from Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen, saying no dialogue can change the reality of Beijing's sovereignty over the self-ruled island.
- China Rejects Taiwan's Proposed Talks as Beijing Blames Taipei for 'Cheap Tricks' Sputnik 02 Jan 2021 -- Beijing views Taiwan as an essential part of Chinese territory that it says will eventually have to reunify with mainland China.
- New regulation on military equipment takes effect, to boost PLA modernization Global Times 02 Jan 2021 -- Xi Jinping, chairman of the Central Military Commission, has signed an order to release revised regulations on military equipment. A military expert said this will speed up the People's Liberation Army's task of modernization in terms of military equipment.
- Chinese military releases regulations on officer management People's Daily 02 Jan 2021 -- Approved by Xi Jinping, chairman of the Central Military Commission (CMC), the CMC has released a set of interim regulations on the management of military officers on active service as well as multiple supporting regulations.
- "For the people", "by the people" defining feature of China's diplomacy: FM Global Times 02 Jan 2021 -- The principle of for the people and by the people has been a source of strength for the Communist Party of China. It is also the defining feature of China's diplomacy, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said.
- China sees 'no limit' in developing strategic ties with Russia in 2021 Press TV 02 Jan 2021 -- China has expressed strong determination to continue strategic ties with Russia in the year ahead, with the Chinese foreign minister saying Beijing sees "no limit" as to how far the cooperation between the two sides can reach.
- China vows 'necessary measures' after US move of delisting telecom firms Global Times 02 Jan 2021 -- China on Saturday vowed to take necessary measures to protect Chinese enterprises' legitimate rights and interests after the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) moved to delist three Chinese telecom companies as per Trump administration's order.
- China's Civil Code takes effect People's Daily 02 Jan 2021 -- China's Civil Code officially takes effect on Friday, replacing the country's previous standalone civil laws.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list