Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
30 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China strengthens prevention work against COVID-19 for holiday travel rush Global Times 30 Dec 2020 -- China has strengthened prevention work against COVID-19 for the upcoming Spring Festival travel rush, including reserving seats for passengers with fever and improving disinfection work in stations and trains, officials said at a press conference on Wednesday.
- The first batch of China's vaccine arrived in Turkey and expected to put into use in two weeks Global Times 30 Dec 2020 -- Flight TK6175 took off from Beijing carrying China's first batch of the novel coronavirus vaccine touched down at Ankara Esenboga International Airport in Ankara, the capital of Turkey on Wednesday, and will hopefully be put into use after two weeks, marking another milestone of how China's self-developed inactivated vaccine reaching out to those in needs around the world.
- Beijing investigation finds imported case caused Shunyi cluster Global Times 30 Dec 2020 -- Beijing has released a thorough epidemiological investigation into the recent 16 cases of COVID-19 reported in the capital's Shunyi district, which showed that the sudden spike was caused by an imported case from Indonesia, Pang Xinghuo, deputy director of the municipal center for disease prevention and control, said at a press briefing on Wednesday.
- NE China's Shenyang enters 'wartime' mode amid COVID-19 flare-ups Global Times 30 Dec 2020 -- Shenyang in Northeast China's Liaoning Province announced it will heighten its emergency response and enter "wartime mode" on Wednesday, after the city experienced COVID-19 flare-ups recently.
- CNBG vaccine efficacy rate boosts confidence Global Times 30 Dec 2020 -- Chinese vaccine producer Sinopharm announced an inactivated vaccine developed by its subsidiary China National Biotech Group (CNBG) has an efficacy rate of more than 79 percent, and confirmed they have officially filed for market approval with Chinese regulators.
- Beijing workers reconsidering Spring Festival travel plans due to new COVID-19 cases Global Times 30 Dec 2020 -- The national railways are expected to transport 407 million passengers in China during the 2021 Spring Festival, with an average of 10.18 million passengers per day. However, because of recent coronavirus cases in Beijing, some are starting to reconsider their travel plans.
- Chinese mainland reports 7 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese mainland on Tuesday reported 24 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases, including seven locally transmitted cases and 17 arriving from outside the mainland, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Beijing reports one locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 case People's Daily 30 Dec 2020 -- Beijing reported one new locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 case on Tuesday, local health authorities said Wednesday.
- Beijing's Shunyi samples over 1.29 mln for COVID-19 tests People's Daily 30 Dec 2020 -- Beijing's Shunyi District has sampled over 1.29 million people for nucleic acid tests in a health screening following newly emerged COVID-19 cases, local authorities said Tuesday.
- China's Shenyang to increase nucleic acid testing frequency People's Daily 30 Dec 2020 -- The city of Shenyang in northeast China's Liaoning Province will increase nucleic acid testing frequency, the city headquarters in charge of COVID-19 epidemic prevention and control said Tuesday.
- Beijing adds 1 medium-risk COVID-19 area People's Daily 30 Dec 2020 -- Beijing added one medium-risk COVID-19 area starting from Tuesday, the Beijing municipal health commission said.
- China's Liaoning reports 5 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 Dec 2020 -- Northeast China's Liaoning Province on Tuesday reported five confirmed COVID-19 cases and four asymptomatic cases, all locally transmitted, the provincial health commission said Wednesday.
- India, China reach no 'meaningful result' from talks over border conflict Press TV 30 Dec 2020 -- India says no "meaningful" solution has been reached with China to a standoff over a section of their Himalayan border, despite several rounds of diplomatic and military talks that were held to de-escalate the border tensions between the nuclear armed neighbors.
- Mystery Torpedo-like Object Caught by Indonesian Fisherman Suspected to be Chinese Drone Sub Sputnik 30 Dec 2020 -- Media suspect the discovery may be an indication that the PRC is carrying out covert surveying activities in Indonesian waters. China has not made any formal statements on the matter. The two countries have a territorial dispute in the South China Sea, with part of Beijing's maritime claims overlapping with Jakarta's exclusive economic zone.
- 7th Fleet Destroyers Transit Taiwan Strait US Navy 30 Dec 2020 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyers USS John S. McCain (DDG 56) and USS Curtis Wilbur (DDG 54) conducted a routine Taiwan Strait transit Dec. 31 (local time) in accordance with international law. The ships' transit through the Taiwan Strait demonstrates the U.S. commitment to a free and open Indo-Pacific. The United States military will continue to fly, sail and operate wherever international law allows.
- Singaporean Special Services Arrest Man, Who Spied in US for China, Security Department Says Sputnik 30 Dec 2020 -- The internal security department (ISD) of Singapore on Wednesday arrested the Singaporean man, Dickson Yeo Jun Wei, who was spying on the United States for China and spent 14 months in a US prison, the ISD said.
- UN Agencies Appeal to China Not to Repatriate Five North Korean Refugees Radio Free Asia 30 Dec 2020 -- Five North Koreans in Chinese government custody would face grave danger if they are sent back to the North, said a United Nations appeal made public Wednesday that urged Beijing to uphold its U.N. member obligations against returning refugees to places they might be harmed.
- From 3rd aircraft carrier to fighter jets: weapons to expect in 2021 Global Times 30 Dec 2020 -- The progress of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) in modernizing and expanding its arsenal will continue over the upcoming year after an unsettling 2020 in which recently developed equipment played major roles in protecting Chinese people from COVID-19, safeguarding national sovereignty and development interests in regions like the China-India border, the South China Sea and the Taiwan Straits.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on December 30, 2020 PRC MofA 30 Dec 2020
- China, EU complete long talks over bilateral investment treaty Global Times 30 Dec 2020 -- China and the EU have completed negotiations over an epic bilateral investment treaty (BIT), signaling that the top agenda for bilateral economic and trade relations has run its planned course for the world's top developed economy and the largest developing economy. A comprehensive, balanced and high-level investment deal is expected to be reached soon.
- Sentencing of 10 Hong Kong detainees underscores rule of law Global Times 30 Dec 2020 -- A local court in Shenzhen on Wednesday sentenced 10 Hong Kong detainees to imprisonment from seven months to three years for illegally crossing the border into the Chinese mainland and organizing the crime in August, after a two-day trial where the 10 suspects had pleaded guilty.
- Shenzhen court sentences 10 HK detainees for imprisonment from seven months to three years Global Times 30 Dec 2020 -- Shenzhen's Yantian District People's Court on Wednesday sentenced 10 Hong Kong detainees to imprisonment from seven months to three years for organizing illegal border crossing and illegally entering Chinese mainland waters in August, after a two-day trial where the 10 suspects had already pleaded guilty.
- Hong Kong activist sentenced to 4 months in prison for insulting national flag, illegal assembly People's Daily 30 Dec 2020 -- Hong Kong activist Tony Chung Hon-lam was sentenced to 4 months for insulting the national flag and participating in an illegally assembly, according to local media on Tuesday.
- Chinese court jails 10 Hong Kong fugitives, returns 2 minors Press TV 30 Dec 2020 -- A Chinese court has sentenced 10 of the 12 Hong Kong fugitives who sought to flee to Taiwan by boat to up to three years in prison.
- Court in China's Shenzen Jails 10 of Hong Kong 12 For 'Illegal Border Crossing' Radio Free Asia 30 Dec 2020 -- A court in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong on Wednesday handed down jail terms of up to three years to 10 of the 12 Hong Kong protesters detained on Aug. 23 as they tried to flee a national security crackdown in the city, on charges linked to "illegally crossing a border."
- Lawyer-Turned-Citizen Journalist Zhang Zhan Hit Out at Judge During Trial: Lawyer Radio Free Asia 30 Dec 2020 -- Jailed citizen journalist Zhang Zhan, who was sentenced to four years' imprisonment for posting reports from Wuhan during the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic in the city, spoke up in court and challenged the judge during her trial earlier this week, RFA has learned.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list