Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
29 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China enters annual chunyun time with coronavirus lessons Global Times 29 Dec 2020 -- Ahead of chunyun and days before the New Year's holiday, the Chinese Center For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued some personal hygiene and public health guidelines including preventive measures against COVID-19 epidemic, travel advice, mandatory mask-wearing on public transport and social distancing requirements.
- 10,000 have received emergency COVID-19 vaccination in Guangxi Global Times 29 Dec 2020 -- Southern China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region has started COVID-19 emergency vaccination for key population, the authority said on Monday. So far, 10,000 people among the first batch have received the vaccines.
- 281,800 people in E China's Zhejiang receive COVID-19 vaccines Global Times 29 Dec 2020 -- 281,800 people from key groups in East China's Zhejiang Province have received emergency COVID-19 vaccines so far, Zhejiang's health authorities said at a press conference held Tuesday. Zhejiang is reportedly the first province in China to have started its emergency vaccination campaign.
- Beijing to test airport staff amid virus resurgence Global Times 29 Dec 2020 -- Beijing will test all airport staff in the wake of continuous locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases in the Chinese capital.
- Wuhan launches emergency vaccination for high-risk groups Global Times 29 Dec 2020 -- Wuhan, the city hit the hardest by the COVID-19 epidemic in China, has been administering emergency COVID-19 vaccinations since December 24 for high-risk groups, local health authority said Monday.
- China-developed COVID-19 vaccine effective, safe -- Egyptian official People's Daily 29 Dec 2020 -- The China-developed anti-coronavirus vaccine Egypt has received is effective, safe and easier to use, an Egyptian official said.
- NE China city finds coronavirus on packaging of imported frozen meat People's Daily 29 Dec 2020 -- Kaiyuan City in northeast China's Liaoning Province has detected COVID-19 on a packaging sample collected from a shipment of frozen pork imported from Mexico, local authorities said on Tuesday.
- East China's Wuxi reports one imported asymptomatic COVID-19 case People's Daily 29 Dec 2020 -- The city of Wuxi in east China's Jiangsu Province reported one new imported asymptomatic case of COVID-19 on Tuesday, local health authorities said.
- China's Zhejiang reports one asymptomatic COVID-19 case People's Daily 29 Dec 2020 -- East China's Zhejiang Province reported one asymptomatic COVID-19 case on Tuesday, authorities said.
- Chinese mainland reports 15 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 29 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese mainland on Monday reported 27 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 15 locally transmitted cases and 12 arriving from outside the mainland, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- China's Liaoning reports 8 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 29 Dec 2020 -- Northeast China's Liaoning Province on Monday reported eight confirmed COVID-19 cases and two asymptomatic cases, all locally transmitted, the provincial health commission said Tuesday.
- Beijing reports 7 locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 29 Dec 2020 -- Beijing reported seven new locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases on Monday, local health authorities said Tuesday.
- Chinese anti-submarine aircraft enters Taiwan's southwest ADIZ CNA 29 Dec 2020 -- A Chinese military Y-8 aircraft entered Taiwan's southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Tuesday, marking the 19th day on which such a maneuver has occurred in December, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said that day.
- Aircraft carrier Shandong conducts night exercises, builds up combat-readiness Global Times 29 Dec 2020 -- China's second aircraft carrier, the Shandong, recently conducted a series of night exercises, as the warship is on its way to becoming combat-ready around-the-clock, analysts said on Tuesday.
- Revised national defense law to take effect in China on January 1, 2021 PLA Daily 29 Dec 2020 -- The Standing Committee of the 13th National People's Congress (NPC), China's top legislature, adopted the revised National Defense Law at its 24th session on December 26. The revised law further embodies the character that China's national defense is a whole-of-people cause. It added contents about strengthening the national defense awareness and the crisis consciousness of all citizens, as well as improving the technology and capability level of national defense.
- Tech key to military modernization, says general PLA Daily 29 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese military is poised to adopt more intelligent technologies in its modernization drive, a senior military official said.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on December 29, 2020 PRC MofA 29 Dec 2020
- US Treasury extends China investment ban to subsidiaries Press TV 29 Dec 2020 -- The US Treasury Department has published an addendum to an executive order by President Donald Trump clarifying which Chinese company stocks Americans were prohibited to purchase.
- On the Silencing and Prosecution of PRC Citizen Journalist Zhang Zhan US Dept. of State 29 Dec 2020 -- "The United States strongly condemns the People's Republic of China's (PRC) sham prosecution and conviction of citizen journalist Zhang Zhan on December 28."
- Xi eyes unwavering development of China-Russia partnership PLA Daily 29 Dec 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping said Monday that China is ready to work with Russia to unswervingly develop the comprehensive strategic partnership of coordination for a new era between the two countries, realize their respective development and revitalization, and make greater contributions to building a new type of international relations and a community with a shared future for mankind.
- HK secessionist Tony Chung sentenced to 4 months in prison for insulting national flag and illegal gatherings Global Times 29 Dec 2020 -- Former leader of the Hong Kong pro-secessionist group Studentlocalism, Tony Chung Hon-lam was sentenced to four months in prison on Tuesday for insulting the Chinese national flag and participating in illegal gatherings.
- Hong Kong 12 'Pleaded Guilty' to Illegal Border Crossing Charges: Reports Radio Free Asia 29 Dec 2020 -- The families of 12 Hong Kong protesters detained by the China Coast Guard on Aug. 23 as they tried to flee to the democratic island of Taiwan by speedboat say the court that tried the detainees on Monday has told them sentencing will take place on Wednesday.
- Turkish Lawmakers Vow to Block Extradition Treaty With China That Puts Uyghurs at Risk Radio Free Asia 29 Dec 2020 -- China's National People's Congress ratified a treaty with Turkey at the weekend allowing for the forcible deportation of ethnic Uyghurs fleeing persecution by authorities in Xinjiang, with opposition lawmakers in Turkey vowing to block ratification in their own parliament.
- China Moves to Replace Ethnic Mongolians in Education Sector With Han Chinese Radio Free Asia 29 Dec 2020 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has stepped up moves to eliminate the Mongolian language in schools in its northern region of Inner Mongolia, ordering Mongolian-medium primary schools to switch to Chinese-medium teaching by the third grade, RFA has learned.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list