Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
28 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Four-year Jail Term for Citizen Journalist's COVID Reporting in China VOA 28 Dec 2020 -- A court in Shanghai, China on Monday sentenced former lawyer and citizen journalist Zhang Zhan to four years in prison for her reporting on the coronavirus outbreak, a harsh sentence that legal scholars say is aimed at having a chilling effect on Chinese rights activists.
- Chinese Lawyer-Turned-Citizen Journalist Gets Four Years For Wuhan Posts Radio Free Asia 28 Dec 2020 -- A court in Shanghai has handed down a four-year jail term to a citizen journalist who reported on the coronavirus pandemic as it emerged in the central Chinese city of Wuhan.
- Chinese Journalist Jailed for 4 Years Over Reports on Early COVID-19 Outbreak in Wuhan Sputnik 28 Dec 2020 -- A court in Shanghai on Monday found citizen journalist Zhang Zhan guilty of "picking quarrels and provoking trouble" in her reporting of the country's early coronavirus outbreak in the city of Wuhan early this year, Zhang's lawyer said, adding that the journalist was sentenced to four years in prison.
- China's national epidemiological survey finds COVID-19 infection rate at low level among population Global Times 28 Dec 2020 -- China's CDC has completed a national epidemiological survey of COVID-19 serum and found that the Chinese population had a low infection rate, which experts say demonstrates China's success in bringing the epidemic under control and lays a solid foundation for carrying out mass vaccinations uniformly. .
- Epidemic control tightens amid sporadic cases as holidays near Global Times 28 Dec 2020 -- As small COVID-19 flare-ups in China's capital city of Beijing and Northeastern port city of Dalian alerted the public about a new wave of outbreaks with the government ramping up strict measures restricting outings and large gatherings, concerns have emerged over a resurgence of the infections in the country as holiday season is approaching.
- Beijing tests 1.37 million residents, anti-epidemic measures to be strengthened Global Times 28 Dec 2020 -- Beijing has provided nucleic acid tests for over 1.37 million people in key areas related to COVID-19 infections in Shunyi and Chaoyang districts, the local government said, and anti-epidemic measures at airports and customs will be strengthened in an effort to curb the latest cases.
- China's speedy economic revival is owing to strict measures to contain virus: FM Global Times 28 Dec 2020 -- China's economic development not only leads to more people enjoying a better life but has also injected impetus to the recovery of global economy, which has been severely damaged by the COVID-19 pandemic, and the country will actively integrate with global market and deepen foreign cooperation, the Foreign Ministry (FM) said on Monday.
- NE Chinese city adds 3 medium-risk COVID-19 areas People's Daily 28 Dec 2020 -- Another three communities were classified as medium-risk areas for COVID-19 in Shenyang, capital of northeast China's Liaoning Province, local authorities said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 6 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported 21 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases, including six locally transmitted cases and 15 arriving from outside the mainland, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- China's Liaoning reports 6 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Dec 2020 -- Northeast China's Liaoning Province on Sunday reported six confirmed COVID-19 cases and three asymptomatic cases, all locally transmitted, the provincial health commission said Monday.
- China's Dalian sees 10 more medium-risk COVID-19 areas People's Daily 28 Dec 2020 -- Another 10 communities and villages were classified as medium-risk areas for COVID-19 in the northeastern Chinese city of Dalian, bringing the city's total number of medium-risk areas to 12, local authorities said on Sunday.
- Beijing strengthens epidemic prevention as sporadic cases emerge People's Daily 28 Dec 2020 -- Beijing has tightened epidemic prevention and control measures following new reports of local COVID-19 infections, local authorities said on Sunday.
- China's Shenzhen reports one asymptomatic COVID-19 case People's Daily 28 Dec 2020 -- South China's city of Shenzhen in Guangdong Province reported one asymptomatic COVID-19 case on Sunday, according to the city's health commission.
- Another Chinese adenovirus vector COVID-19 vaccine ready for human trials PLA Daily 28 Dec 2020 -- One more Chinese adenovirus vector vaccine candidate against COVID-19 is ready for human trials at home and abroad, its developers said Monday.
- Chinese military aircraft enters Taiwan's ADIZ CNA 28 Dec 2020 -- A Chinese military Y-8 RECCE tactical reconnaissance aircraft entered the southwestern part of Taiwan's southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Monday, where it stayed until Taiwanese fighter jets scrambled in response, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- Taiwan mulls censoring books by Chinese Communist Party, PLA CNA 28 Dec 2020 -- The Ministry of Culture (MOC) may propose an amendment that would regulate publications released by the Chinese Communist Party and People's Liberation Army (PLA) before they can enter the Taiwan market.
- Tactical information system for individual soldiers in service for PLA Tibet Military Command Global Times 28 Dec 2020 -- Individual soldiers with the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Tibet Military Command are now equipped with a new type of tactical information system that can share real-time combat dynamics, receive mission objectives and allow the soldiers to comprehensively grasp the battlefield situation, boosting their combat capabilities in cold, mountainous regions, media reported on Monday.
- China reaffirms defensive nature of its national defense policy in newly revised law PLA Daily 28 Dec 2020 -- China has reaffirmed the defensive nature of its national defense policy as its top legislative body adopted new revisions to the National Defense Law, renewing tasks and goals as well as cementing policies.
- Photos: China's Third Amphibious Assault Ship Nears Completion as First Docks With Shandong Carrier Sputnik 28 Dec 2020 -- China's new class of amphibious assault ship - part helicopter carrier, part marine landing dock - is growing quickly. While the first Type 075 ship is finishing up sea trials alongside its bigger comrade, the aircraft carrier Shandong, the third one is coming together in a Shanghai shipyard.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on December 28, 2020 PRC MofA 28 Dec 2020
- Protecting U.S. Investors from Financing Communist Chinese Military Companies US Dept. of State 28 Dec 2020 -- "President Trump took decisive action last month to protect American investors and pension holders from funding Communist Chinese military companies (CCMCs) through Executive Order (13959) Addressing the Threat from Securities Investments that Finance Communist Chinese Military Companies."
- China urges US to stop interfering in Taiwan, Tibet, Hong Kong Press TV 28 Dec 2020 -- China has called on the United States to stop interfering in its internal affairs after outgoing US President Donald Trump signed into law acts aimed to further enhance support for Taiwan and Tibet.
- High-level CPC delegation's Nepal visit eyes issues of common interest, upholds noninterference principle: Chinese FM Global Times 28 Dec 2020 -- Indian media outlets have paid close attention to the inter-party exchanges between the Communist Party of China (CPC) and the Communist Party of Nepal (CPN), which is the ruling party of the country. Some Indian media have been even speculating and criticizing this as a move by China to "interfere in the internal affairs" of other countries. Chinese experts say that the inter-party exchanges are not India's business, with India actually acting as the biggest external power interfering in Nepal's internal affairs.
- Shenzhen starts trial for HK detainees' illegal border crossing Global Times 28 Dec 2020 -- Shenzhen's Yantian District People's Court opened the trial of 10 Hong Kong residents who were detained in August for illegally entering Chinese mainland waters, with the court hearing the public prosecution's opinions as well as the suspects' defense. It will announce the sentencing another day, the court said on Monday.
- Chinese FM rejects US embassy call to 'release' 12 Hong Kong residents arrested in mainland Global Times 28 Dec 2020 -- China firmly opposes the remarks made by the US Embassy in China concerning the 12 Hong Kong residents who were detained in August for illegally entering Chinese mainland waters, and those remarks ignore the facts and confuse right and wrong, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian told a routine press conference on Monday.
- Hong Kong Protesters Who Fled by Speedboat Stand Trial in China's Shenzhen Radio Free Asia 28 Dec 2020 -- Ten out of 12 Hong Kong protesters arrested as they tried to flee the city to the democratic island of Taiwan stood trial at a court in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen on Monday, on charges linked to illegal border crossings.
- Ant Group must fix problems, meet supervision requirements: regulators People's Daily 28 Dec 2020 -- China's financial regulators have identified major problems in Ant Group's business operations and have urged the company to make plans and set a timetable as soon as possible to fix the problems in accordance with supervision requirements.
- China's Central Bank Orders Ant Group to Meet Strict Regulatory Guidelines VOA 28 Dec 2020 -- Regulators with China's central bank have ordered online financial services giant Ant Group to restructure its operations to meet regulatory guidelines.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list