Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
27 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- With mature anti-epidemic system, nightmare of 2020 Spring Festival 'will not return' Global Times 27 Dec 2020 -- Beijing on Sunday beefed up citywide measures against COVID-19 over concerns that the country's mass travel during the upcoming New Year holidays may trigger a new wave of infections, after the municipality reported 13 cases in three districts during the past two weeks of unknown source.
- Vigilance urged against virus mutation, sporadic outbreaks as world yet to end pandemic Global Times 27 Dec 2020 -- With more countries reporting coronavirus cases related to the new variant over the weekend and the world again escalating control measures, people are asking at the end of 2020: Will the world be mired again in a pandemic nightmare like the beginning of the year? Some senior Chinese public health experts say this prediction is unlikely because people are more prepared, while cautioning that vigilance amid a surge in sporadic outbreaks should not be relaxed.
- Experts warn of possible multiple sources of Beijing's new COVID-19 outbreak Global Times 27 Dec 2020 -- China's capital city, Beijing, home to more than 20 million residents, has reported 13 local COVID-19 infections in three districts over the past two weeks. With tracing yet to determine the source of virus and transmission chain, experts are warning the public to remain alert as there may be multiple sources behind the resurgence.
- Chinese Cities roll out vaccination projects amid sporadic cases Global Times 27 Dec 2020 -- Cities around China are gradually rolling out vaccination projects for key personnel amid sporadic outbreaks in the country. Shenzhen, South China's Guangdong Province, will provide free COVID-19 vaccinations for high-risk groups and people going abroad starting from Monday.
- China's first COVID-19 department established to normalize future coronavirus' treatment Global Times 27 Dec 2020 -- Shanghai Public Health Clinical Center has set up China's first COVID-19 department with closed-loop management in a bid to normalize the management and treatment of infectious diseases and ensure the novel coronavirus outbreak is put under control quickly as new variants emerge.
- Beijing districts, companies to enter into a state of emergency: official Global Times 27 Dec 2020 -- Senior Beijing officials have ordered all of the municipality's districts, departments and companies to enter into a state of emergency to deal with the sporadic COVID-19 cases with a more resolute attitude and more stringent measures as the city has so far reported 13 cases in three districts, the source of which is still unknown.
- Large gatherings during New Year holiday to be cancelled in Beijing Global Times 27 Dec 2020 -- Beijing is expected to embrace a New Year holiday with reduced numbers of large-scale public activities and outbound travel, as the Chinese capital city faces a resurgence of sporadic cases.
- Beijing reports 13 COVID-19 cases in 3 districts in latest wave, source remains unknown Global Times 27 Dec 2020 -- Beijing reported five more COVID-19 cases and one asymptomatic case on Saturday, bringing the total number of confirmed infections since December 14 in the Chinese capital to 13. The source of the infections remains unknown, but some experts believe it may have been imported from overseas.
- Recent sporadic COVID-19 cases won't derail China's economic recovery: experts Global Times 27 Dec 2020 -- Recent sporadic COVID-19 cases in several cities including Beijing may affect local consumption, especially with regard to holiday gatherings, experts said on Sunday, while noting that the economic recovery at large would remain intact.
- Construction starts on new plant for viral vector COVID-19 in Beijing Global Times 27 Dec 2020 -- A groundbreaking ceremony for a COVID-19 vaccine production base was held on Sunday at Daxing Biomedical Industrial Base in southwestern Beijing. The vaccine will be based on the non-replicating viral vector using chimpanzee adenovirus, the first of its kind in China, media reported.
- Xinjiang has no active COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Dec 2020 -- Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region now has no active confirmed COVID-19 cases or asymptomatic infections, after two asymptomatic cases were discharged from medical observation on Saturday.
- China's Liaoning reports 7 locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Dec 2020 -- Northeast China's Liaoning Province on Saturday reported seven confirmed COVID-19 cases and three asymptomatic cases, all locally transmitted, the provincial health commission said Sunday.
- Hong Kong reports 59 new COVID-19 cases, exceeding 8,500 in total People's Daily 27 Dec 2020 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported 59 additional confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, taking its total tally to 8,540.
- Beijing reports five locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Dec 2020 -- Beijing reported five new locally transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and an asymptomatic case on Saturday, local health authorities said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 12 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese mainland on Saturday reported 22 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 12 locally transmitted cases and 10 arriving from outside the mainland, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- 16 COVID-19 patients newly discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 27 Dec 2020 -- Sixteen COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Saturday, the National Health Commission said in a daily report Sunday.
- Temporary hospital to enhance Hong Kong's ability to cope with COVID-19: HKSAR chief executive People's Daily 27 Dec 2020 -- Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam on Saturday said that the temporary hospital under construction with the support of the central government will greatly enhance Hong Kong's ability to cope with the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Beijing tightens epidemic prevention measures People's Daily 27 Dec 2020 -- Beijing has tightened epidemic prevention and control measures after new reports of local infections of COVID-19.
- Beijing tightens coronavirus restrictions as new cases detected Press TV 27 Dec 2020 -- China has tightened restrictions imposed to contain the spread of the new coronavirus, urging residents not to leave cities and villages during the holiday period.
- PLA receives world's lightest heavy machine gun Global Times 27 Dec 2020 -- A new type of heavy machine gun, possibly the lightest of its kind in the world, was recently spotted in an amphibious landing exercise held by the People's Liberation Army (PLA), indicating that the weapon with powerful suppressive fire has now entered Chinese military service.
- China amends national defense law, shows country's sense of global justice Global Times 27 Dec 2020 -- After the approval of China's new amendment to the country's national defense law, China is expected to make itself heard more on global justice in addition to its own, and will play a unique role in safeguarding world peace at a time when evil forces are ravaging it, Chinese experts said on Sunday.
- China reaffirms defensive nature of its national defense policy in newly revised law People's Daily 27 Dec 2020 -- China has reaffirmed the defensive nature of its national defense policy as its top legislative body adopted new revisions to the National Defense Law, renewing tasks and goals as well as cementing policies.
- Xi's 'cloud diplomacy' helps world emerge from pandemic with enhanced solidarity PLA Daily 27 Dec 2020 -- In a year shadowed by the onslaught of coronavirus outbreak, the world witnessed glimmers of hope in China's unremitting efforts on rallying global consensus on COVID-19 response and charting the course for future development.
- China's top legislature to convene annual session on March 5 People's Daily 27 Dec 2020 -- The 13th National People's Congress (NPC) will hold its fourth annual session in Beijing on March 5, 2021, according to a decision made by the NPC Standing Committee on Saturday.
- Hong Kong police issues warrants for 30 secessionists who fled overseas Global Times 27 Dec 2020 -- Hong Kong police on Sunday issued warrants for about 30 Hong Kong secessionists who have fled overseas including former opposition lawmakers Ted Hui Chi-fung and disqualified opposition lawmaker Leung Chung-hang.
- Ant to embrace makeover for new starting point Global Times 27 Dec 2020 -- China's top financial regulatory authorities, including the central bank, jointly interviewed Alibaba Group's fintech offshoot Ant Group on Saturday, in a follow-up to the high-profile antitrust probe into the e-commerce giant that aims for a new starting point for the country's platform economy.
- China's top legislative body urges stronger inspection of unfair competition Global Times 27 Dec 2020 -- China's top legislative body has called for a strong inspection of unfair competition in the internet and e-commerce sectors, a signal that China will address unfair competition through a legislative mechanism, following the probe into Alibaba's alleged monopolistic practices.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list