Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
25 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China ramps up COVID-19 restrictions ahead of two major festivals Global Times 25 Dec 2020 -- Western countries have been gripped by the coronavirus nightmare since before Christmas with mega-cities being locked down, flights halted and daily new cases continuing to break records, a familiar scene to many Chinese who experienced the nation's early COVID-19 outbreak during its largest festival in 2020.
- Anhui starts its emergency vaccination project amid sporadic local cases in China Global Times 25 Dec 2020 -- Hefei city in East China's Anhui Province has started its emergency vaccination project on Thursday, local media revealed on Friday, amid sporadic outbreaks in China before the Spring Festival that includes family reunions in February.
- Beijing imposes fresh travel restrictions ahead of New Year holidays amid looming new COVID-19 surge Global Times 25 Dec 2020 -- Beijing's COVID-19 epidemic prevention and control faces a major test with sporadic cases re-emerging and the New Year and Spring Festival holidays fast approaching, the Beijing government said on Friday, calling on companies not to arrange business trips outside of the capital and abroad and advising residents not leave the city during the Spring Festival holidays in addition to schools and companies staggering their holidays.
- NE. China's Dalian tightens COVID-19 control amid latest cluster outbreak, collects 4.76 million samples for nucleic acid tests Global Times 25 Dec 2020 -- The port city of Dalian, Northeast China's Liaoning Province, has tightened COVID-19 control measures and accelerated nucleic acid testing after entering "wartime mode" amid the latest local cluster outbreak, which brought 19 confirmed cases and 20 silent carriers between December 15 and 24.
- Sinovac's COVID-19 vaccine shows 91.25% efficacy in Turkey trials Global Times 25 Dec 2020 -- Chinese vaccine producer Sinovac's inactivated COVID-19 vaccine CoronaVac shows 91.25 percent efficacy in Phase III clinical trials in Turkey, Turkish health ministry announced Thursday local time.
- Expert team dispatched to aid COVID-19 control in China's Dalian People's Daily 25 Dec 2020 -- China's National Health Commission (NHC) on Tuesday dispatched an expert team to Dalian, a port city in northeast China's Liaoning Province, to guide and assist in tackling cluster COVID-19 infections, according to a statement issued by the NHC on Friday.
- Chinese border city cleared of COVID-19 cases People's Daily 25 Dec 2020 -- Manzhouli, a border city in north China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, was cleared of COVID-19 cases Friday, the regional health commission said.
- Three major Chinese airlines announce suspension of flights between China and UK Global Times 25 Dec 2020 -- Three major Chinese airlines, Air China, China Eastern and China Southern, all announced the suspension of flights between China and the UK.
- Two Chinese military planes fly into Taiwan's ADIZ CNA 25 Dec 2020 -- A Chinese Shaanxi Y-8 anti-submarine patrol plane and another Y-8 surveillance plane entered Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Friday but left the area after Taiwan responded to their intrusion.
- China to launch space station core cabinet by Spring 2021 Global Times 25 Dec 2020 -- China is set to launch the core cabinet of the country's first space station by spring 2021, Zhou Jianping, chief designer of China's manned space program, disclosed on Friday.
- China Coast Guard conducts joint Beibu Gulf patrol with Vietnamese counterpart People's Daily 25 Dec 2020 -- The China Coast Guard (CCG) and its Vietnamese counterpart carried out a joint patrol in the Beibu Gulf from Monday to Wednesday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on December 25, 2020 PRC MofA 25 Dec 2020
- Facing 'Warrior Wolf' charge, China's diplomacy must speak up for itself People's Daily 25 Dec 2020 -- After some Chinese "public intellectuals" with a pro-U.S. stance falsely called China's diplomacy "Wolf Warrior diplomacy," this fallacy has fallen into the hands of anti-China politicians and media outlets in the U.S. and other western countries, who immediately jumped on the bandwagon.
- China reiterates 'joint efforts' in concluding China-EU investment treaty: FM Global Times 25 Dec 2020 -- China on Friday has again stressed that "joint efforts" are needed to achieve a China-EU bilateral investment treaty (BIT), also called the Comprehensive Agreement on Investment (CAI), calling on each side to meet each other halfway, as the pact will provide more opportunities and good institutional guarantees for bilateral investment.
- EU-China Investment Talks Near Completion, Raising Concerns VOA 25 Dec 2020 -- The European Union agreement with Britain on how to handle affairs post-Brexit has been widely celebrated, yet another of the bloc's tentative deals â€“ that of a comprehensive investment agreement with China â€“ is creating new headaches for European leaders.
- Chinese premier stresses formulating five-year plan to deepen reform, opening-up People's Daily 25 Dec 2020 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang has stressed adopting a practical approach in formulating the 14th Five-Year Plan (2021-2025) for National Economic and Social Development that takes into account the current and long-term situation and will promote the deepening of reform and opening-up.
- China to Tighten Political Security Operations Targeting 'Potential' Dissent Radio Free Asia 25 Dec 2020 -- One year after a nationwide police operation rounded up some of China's most prominent rights activists and lawyers following a gathering in the southeastern port city of Xiamen, the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) looks set to further tighten its grip on public speech with a renewed focus on "political security."
- China Moves Towards Nationalization With Probe Into Alibaba Radio Free Asia 25 Dec 2020 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has taken further steps to curb e-commerce giant Alibaba with the launch of an antitrust investigation into the tech company headed by tycoon Jack Ma.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list