Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
24 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese drug regulators accept application for Sinopharm vaccine rollout Global Times 24 Dec 2020 -- Chinese drug regulators formally accepted the country's leading vaccine producer Sinopharm's application for market rollout of its COVID-19 vaccines on Wednesday, which marks a closer step to China's approval for this vaccine candidate to combat the coronavirus.
- Sinovac may further optimize its vaccines before releasing efficacy data Global Times 24 Dec 2020 -- Sinovac Biotech Ltd may further optimize its vaccines in late-stage clinical trials and release efficacy data along with results obtained from Indonesia and Turkey in 15 days to meet the increasing international demand for its vaccines, Chinese experts said on Thursday, after Brazil postponed the release of detailed data on the effectiveness of the vaccines the company co-developed with the Sao Paulo-based Butantan Institute.
- China's Dalian collects 2.13 mln samples for coronavirus testing People's Daily 24 Dec 2020 -- The city of Dalian in northeast China's Liaoning Province collected samples from some 2.13 million residents for coronavirus testing by 6 p.m. Wednesday, according to the provincial health commission.
- East China reports COVID-19 reinfection case People's Daily 24 Dec 2020 -- A recovered COVID-19 patient in east China's Zhejiang Province was found to have been re-infected with the novel coronavirus, authorities in Lishui City said Thursday.
- Two communities classified as medium-risk for COVID-19 in northeastern Chinese city People's Daily 24 Dec 2020 -- Two communities in Shenyang, capital of northeast China's Liaoning Province, were upgraded to medium-risk areas for COVID-19 after a new case was reported, the city headquarters in charge of COVID-19 epidemic prevention and control said on Thursday.
- China's Liaoning reports 6 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, 4 asymptomatic infections People's Daily 24 Dec 2020 -- Northeast China's Liaoning Province on Wednesday reported six new confirmed COVID-19 cases and four asymptomatic infections, the provincial health commission said on Thursday.
- Beijing launches community test after asymptomatic case emerges People's Daily 24 Dec 2020 -- Beijing has conducted nucleic acid tests for all residents in the city's Lianzhu Garden community after a man living there was found to be an asymptomatic carrier of the novel coronavirus on Wednesday.
- China's Hubei reports 4 imported asymptomatic COVID-19 cases People's Daily 24 Dec 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province reported four imported asymptomatic COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports six new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 24 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported 17 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases, including six locally transmitted cases in northeast China's Liaoning Province, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- Hong Kong detects 2 COVID-19 cases related to mutant strain in Britain People's Daily 24 Dec 2020 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) said on Wednesday that the gene sequencing analysis of samples of two COVID-19 cases in Hong Kong matched with those of the mutant strain found in Britain.
- Shanghai reports 12 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 24 Dec 2020 -- Shanghai reported 12 imported COVID-19 cases and zero locally transmitted cases on Tuesday, the municipal health commission said on Wednesday.
- 180,000 people in Guangdong receive COVID-19 vaccine candidates People's Daily 24 Dec 2020 -- Some 180,000 people with higher risks of coronavirus infection in south China's Guangdong Province have been given COVID-19 vaccine candidates as of Tuesday, the provincial government said on Wednesday.
- China's Liaoning reports one confirmed COVID-19 case People's Daily 24 Dec 2020 -- Shenyang, the capital of northeast China's Liaoning Province, reported one confirmed COVID-19 case with severe symptoms on Wednesday, together with one imported asymptomatic case, according to the provincial health commission.
- China halts flights with UK over mutated strain Global Times 24 Dec 2020 -- Taking into account the practices of other countries, China on Thursday announced the suspension of flights to and from the UK due to a new coronavirus strain, the Chinese foreign ministry announced.
- China suspends flights to and from UK in wake of new virus strain Global Times 24 Dec 2020 -- Taking into account the practices of other countries, China on Thursday announced the suspension of flights to and from the UK due to the discovery of new virus strain, said the Chinese Foreign Ministry.
- US Warship Performs Second FONOP in South China Sea This Week, Near Vietnam's Con Dao Islands Sputnik 24 Dec 2020 -- Although the United States has cast itself as the global enforcer of the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), Washington has never been a signatory to the treaty.
- Improved J-11B fighter jet variant enters batch production: reports Global Times 24 Dec 2020 -- An improved variant of China's J-11B aircraft has reportedly entered batch production, and experts said on Thursday that this type of heavy fighter jet has possibly received upgrades on its radar system that can increase its situational awareness and combat range.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on December 24, 2020 PRC MofA 24 Dec 2020
- Trials of Hong Kong 12 Likely Around New Year: Defense Lawyer Radio Free Asia 24 Dec 2020 -- Authorities in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong will likely hold the trials of 12 Hong Kong protesters detained as they fled to the democratic island of Taiwan in the very first days of the New Year, according to a defense lawyer representing one of them.
- Chinese University of Hong Kong to 'Restructure' China Study Center Radio Free Asia 24 Dec 2020 -- Moves are afoot to restructure the Universities Service Center for Chinese Studies at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), RFA has learned.
- China's Economy Looks Ahead to Stronger 2021 Radio Free Asia 24 Dec 2020 -- After a tumultuous year of partial recovery and record lows, China's economy can look forward to a booming rebound in 2021.
- China will carry out bilateral investment agreement negotiations with EU at its own pace: MOFCOM Global Times 24 Dec 2020 -- As more hurdles are reportedly emerging amid the ongoing negotiations on a China-EU bilateral investment treaty (BIT), also called Comprehensive Agreement on Investment (CAI), and concerns arising whether the pact could be inked by the year end, China's Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) said late Thursday that China will carry out negotiations at its own pace while striving to reach a comprehensive, balanced and high-level BIT with EU.
- Chinese Regulators Open Anti-Monopoly Probe Into E-Commerce Giant Alibaba VOA 24 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese government is opening an anti-monopoly investigation into online retail giant Alibaba, a move that signifies Beijing's increasing efforts to tighten control over the country's dominant technology sector.
- China's top market regulator launches anti-trust probe into Alibaba Global Times 24 Dec 2020 -- China's top market watchdog has launched a probe into e-commerce giant Alibaba's suspected monopolistic acts including forcing merchants to choose one platform between two competitors, the Xinhua News Agency reported on Thursday, in an effort considered to rectify market order and facilitate free, fair and non-discriminative business environment.
- China's financial watchdogs to conduct regulatory talks with Ant Group Global Times 24 Dec 2020 -- China's central bank and three financial watchdogs will conduct regulatory talks with Ant Group within the next few days.
- China to address supply chain bottlenecks during 14th Five-Year Plan: official Global Times 24 Dec 2020 -- During the 14th Five-Plan (2021-25) period, China aims to strengthen innovation, and enhance efforts to deliver more breakthroughs in core technologies to create a more efficient domestic supply chain, while enhance its industrial base, officials said Thursday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list