Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
21 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China's clear anti-epidemic timeline refutes Western media accusations: Chinese FM Global Times 21 Dec 2020 -- China's Foreign Ministry spokesperson has reiterated China's timeline of its handling of the COVID-19 outbreak in response to accusations from an article of The New York Times, claiming that it concealed information at the start of the epidemic.
- China evaluating number of high-risk workers in need of COVID-19 vaccine Global Times 21 Dec 2020 -- China is calculating how many people working in high-risk professions, including cold-chain, medical and port workers, will need to receive COVID-19 vaccines, health officials said Monday.
- China wants to know how many high-risk workers need COVID-19 vaccine Global Times 21 Dec 2020 -- China is calculating how many people working in high-risk professions will need to receive COVID-19 vaccines, health officials said Monday, as the travel rush of the Chinese New Year, also known as the world's largest annual human migration, draws close.
- Hong Kong reports 74 new COVID-19 cases, 8,152 in total Global Times 21 Dec 2020 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported 74 confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, taking its total tally to 8,152.
- Shanghai reports eight COVID-19 cases from Russia Global Times 21 Dec 2020 -- Shanghai reported eight imported COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours. The eight patients, all Chinese nationals, took the same flight to the Chinese city from Russia, Shanghai authority announced Monday.
- Fosun's COVID-19 vaccine one step closer to hitting market Global Times 21 Dec 2020 -- The Phase II clinical trial of the vaccine developed by Fosun Pharma has completed the enrollment of 960 subjects ahead of schedule and shown no serious side effects, bringing it a step closer to being sold on market.
- Central China county detects coronavirus on imported frozen beef packaging People's Daily 21 Dec 2020 -- Samples collected from the packaging of a batch of imported frozen beef in Zhongmu County, central China's Henan Province, have tested positive for COVID-19, local health authorities said Monday.
- China's Heilongjiang reports 1 new confirmed COVID-19 case, 3 new asymptomatic cases People's Daily 21 Dec 2020 -- Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province reported one new confirmed COVID-19 case and three new asymptomatic cases on Sunday, the provincial health commission said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Dec 2020 -- China's National Health Commission said Monday that it received reports of 23 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Sunday, including 21 imported ones and two locally transmitted ones.
- China's Guangzhou reports one asymptomatic COVID-19 case People's Daily 21 Dec 2020 -- Guangzhou, capital of south China's Guangdong Province, found one asymptomatic COVID-19 case on Sunday, local authorities said.
- China's Liaoning reports new coronavirus infections People's Daily 21 Dec 2020 -- Northeast China's Liaoning Province on Sunday reported one confirmed COVID-19 case and one asymptomatic COVID-19 case, local authorities said Monday.
- China's Dalian strengthens cold-chain management amid new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Dec 2020 -- China's northeastern port city of Dalian has strengthened cold-chain management in the wake of new COVID-19 cases reported recently, local authorities said Sunday.
- China's Shenyang finds coronavirus on imported fish packaging People's Daily 21 Dec 2020 -- Two samples collected from the packaging of imported caroun croaker have tested positive for COVID-19 in Shenyang, capital of northeast China's Liaoning Province, local authorities said Sunday.
- Hong Kong to Ban Flights from UK from Dec 22 SPA 21 Dec 2020 -- Hong Kong will ban all flights arriving from the United Kingdom from midnight local time on Monday, becoming the first city in Asia to announce such a halt after a new super-virulent strain of the novel coronavirus was identified in Britain, Reuters reported.
- Hong Kong to deny entry of visitors from Britain to fend off new COVID-19 strain People's Daily 21 Dec 2020 -- Hong Kong will deny entry of visitors who have stayed for over two hours in Britain during the past two weeks, effective from midnight Monday, to fend off a more infectious strain of COVID-19 virus reported there.
- China dismisses Trump's cyberattack accusations as 'farce, politically-motivated' Press TV 21 Dec 2020 -- China has dismissed as a "farce" and "politically-motivated" accusations by US President Donald Trump that Beijing has been involved in a massive cyberattack in the United States.
- China aircraft carrier group sails through Taiwan Strait for South China Sea drills Press TV 21 Dec 2020 -- A Chinese aircraft carrier group has sailed through the Taiwan Strait on its way to routine military drills in the South China Sea, a day after a US warship transited the waterway as part of provocative movements meant to boost its military presence near Chinese territorial waters.
- PLA chides US Navy for transits in Taiwan Straits People's Daily 21 Dec 2020 -- Frequent transits by warships from the United States Navy recently have seriously jeopardized peace and stability in the Taiwan Straits and given encouragement to separatist groups in Taiwan, a spokesman for the Chinese military said.
- China Announces Plans to Allow International Access to Giant Radio Telescope VOA 21 Dec 2020 -- China has announced it will allow access by international scientists to its massive radio telescope â€” the Five-hundred-meter Aperture Spherical Telescope, or FAST, in southwestern Guizhou province. It is now the largest and only instrument of its kind in the world following the recent collapse of a Puerto Rico-based observatory.
- Shandong aircraft carrier group enters S.China Sea for exercises via Taiwan Straits: PLA Navy Global Times 21 Dec 2020 -- The Shandong aircraft carrier group on Sunday sailed through the Taiwan Straits and entered the South China Sea for exercises, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy confirmed on Monday.
- Chinese aircraft carrier passes through Taiwan Straits People's Daily 21 Dec 2020 -- A Chinese aircraft carrier passed through the Taiwan Straits on Sunday to conduct training in relevant waters of the South China Sea, according to a spokesperson for the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy.
- Aircraft carrier Shandong sails through Taiwan Strait for training in South China Sea PLA Daily 21 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese PLA Navy's aircraft carrier Shandong sailed through the Taiwan Strait and headed to the South China Sea for trans-regional maneuver training on December 20, according to Senior Captain Liu Wensheng, spokesperson for the Chinese PLA Navy.
- Xi signs order to publish regulations on military professional education PLA Daily 21 Dec 2020 -- Xi Jinping, chairman of the Central Military Commission (CMC), has signed an order releasing trial regulations on military professional education for armed forces.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on December 21, 2020 PRC MofA 21 Dec 2020
- Commerce Department Will Publish the First Military End User List Naming More Than 100 Chinese and Russian Companies US Dept. of Commerce 21 Dec 2020 -- The Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) will amend the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) by adding a new 'Military End User' (MEU) List, as well as the first tranche of 103 entities, which includes 58 Chinese and 45 Russian companies. The U.S. Government has determined that these companies are 'military end users' for purposes of the 'military end user' control in the EAR that applies to specified items for exports, reexports, or transfers (in-country) to the China, Russia, and Venezuela when such items are destined for a prohibited 'military end user.'
- Acting Secretary Wolf Addresses The Chinese Threat At Heritage Foundation DHS 21 Dec 2020 -- Today, Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Chad F. Wolf delivered remarks at a virtual event hosted by the Heritage Foundation detailing the enduring threat from the People's Republic of China (PRC) and DHS's strategy to confront it.
- Acting Secretary Chad F. Wolf Remarks As Prepared: Homeland Security And The China Challenge DHS 21 Dec 2020
- Additional Restrictions on the Issuance of Visas for People's Republic of China Officials Engaged in Human Rights Abuses US Dept. of State 21 Dec 2020 -- China's authoritarian rulers impose draconian restrictions on the Chinese people's freedoms of expression, religion or belief, association, and the right to peaceful assembly. The United States has been clear that perpetrators of human rights abuses like these are not welcome in our country.
- US Issues Visa Restrictions on Chinese Officials Suspected of Rights Abuses VOA 21 Dec 2020 -- The U.S. State Department has issued additional visa restrictions on Chinese officials suspected of human rights abuses.
- China opposes US discriminatory provisions against Chinese companies Global Times 21 Dec 2020 -- China firmly opposes US' intention to sign the Holding Foreign Companies Accountable Act into law, which will contain clauses that clearly work against Chinese companies, in spite of the active efforts of the Chinese regulatory authorities and the US to carry out auditing and supervision cooperation, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said on Monday.
- UK picks new diplomatic fight with China over recruitment of local staff as Sinophopbia intensifies Press TV 21 Dec 2020 -- The alleged recruitment of members of the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) by UK diplomatic missions has triggered alarm in the British national security apparatus, exacerbating Sinophobia in the process.
- 'Forced labor' rumors abuse Xinjiang workers' rights: officials reject West's slandering at rare Beijing press conference Global Times 21 Dec 2020 -- At a rare press conference held in Beijing on Monday, Xinjiang regional government officials and ordinary citizens were bombarded with a flurry of tough questions from foreign media outlets over so-called "forced labor" and "re-education camps." They answered with facts, statistics and personal stories.
- Rules issued on security review of foreign investment People's Daily 21 Dec 2020 -- The newly released rules on China's security review of foreign investment will effectively restrain national security risks while actively promoting and protecting foreign investment, analysts said on Sunday.
- China issues white paper on energy People's Daily 21 Dec 2020 -- China on Monday released a white paper on the country's energy development.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list