Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
20 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Sinovac Beijing vaccine production facility works overtime to supply global inoculation Global Times 20 Dec 2020 -- The Global Times reporters on Sunday visited the COVID-19 vaccine Beijing manufacturing plant of leading Chinese vaccine producer Sinovac to see how vaccines go through a complex packaging process - from vaccine bulk grouting to packaging - before they are shipped to vaccination sites around the world.
- Top epidemiologist Zhong Nanshan warns of environment-to-human COVID-19 transmission Global Times 20 Dec 2020 -- China's top respiratory diseases expert Zhong Nanshan said environment-to-human transmission has become a new pattern in the spread of COVID-19, and called on scientists to look for answers to this growing problem.
- Sinovac secures annual output of 300 million COVID-19 vaccine doses by end of year Global Times 20 Dec 2020 -- China's leading vaccine maker Sinovac is working around the clock to prepare for mass production, with the first production line to secure 300 million doses of a COVID-19 vaccine annually, the Global Times learned after an exclusive visit to the company's plant in Beijing.
- Beijing advises returnees to take direct flights, follow 21-day medical observation on entering China Global Times 20 Dec 2020 -- Beijing authorities at a press conference on Sunday vowed to take a series of updated measures to curb imported COVID-19 cases, including advising returnees to take direct flights, requesting them to strictly follow 14+7 days of medical observation upon entering China, and strengthening management of a local medium-risk community where a recent confirmed case stayed.
- NE. China's Shenyang on alert after frozen Johnius carouna from India tests positive for COVID-19 Global Times 20 Dec 2020 -- The outer packages of two pieces of frozen Johnius carouna products imported from India to Shenyang in Northeast China's Liaoning Province have tested positive for coronavirus on Saturday.
- China tightens COVID-19 test requirements for passengers from US after imported cases spike Global Times 20 Dec 2020 -- China has tightened requirements for passengers flying in from the US amid a spike in imported COVID-19 cases among those traveling from the US.
- Medical institutions in NE. China's Dalian enter 'wartime mode' after COVID-19 flare-up Global Times 20 Dec 2020 -- The port city of Dalian, Northeast China's Liaoning Province, ordered all of its local medical institutions to enter wartime mode on Sunday, after the city reported a new confirmed COVID-19 case on Saturday, bringing the total to two confirmed cases and six silent carriers.
- E. China's Tongxiang on alert after imported beef neck bone from Argentina tests COVID-19 positive Global Times 20 Dec 2020 -- Tongxiang, East China's Zhejiang Province, has tested 72 samples from personnel, packages, and environment after a batch of contaminated beef imported from Argentina was sold to the city. All tests returned negative results.
- China tightens test requirements for passengers from US after imported cases spike Global Times 20 Dec 2020 -- China has tightened requirements for passengers flying in from the US after seeing a sharp increase of imported COVID-19 cases from the US.
- China to inoculate key groups with COVID-19 vaccines People's Daily 20 Dec 2020 -- China will start inoculating some key groups with COVID-19 vaccines in this winter-spring period, said a National Health Commission (NHC) official in Beijing on Saturday.
- Taiwan monitors Chinese aircraft carrier Taiwan Strait trip: MND CNA 20 Dec 2020 -- China's first indigenous aircraft carrier, the Shandong, transited through the Taiwan Strait on Sunday, prompting Taiwan to dispatch military assets to monitor the voyage, according to Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- US actions endanger peace and stability across Taiwan Strait: Spokesperson PLA Daily 20 Dec 2020 -- "The US Navy guided-missile destroyer USS Mustin sailed through the Taiwan Strait on the night of December 18. The naval and aerial forces under the Chinese PLA Eastern Theater Command have tracked and monitored the US destroyer throughout the whole process," said Air Force Senior Colonel Zhang Chunhui, spokesperson for the PLA Eastern Theater Command, in a written statement published on Saturday.
- Taiwan deploys ships, aircraft in Taiwan Strait as China's Shandong carrier passes island Press TV 20 Dec 2020 -- Taiwan has deployed navy and air force after a Chinese aircraft carrier group led by the country's newest carrier, the Shandong, sailed through the Taiwan Strait just one day after the US sent a warship to the sensitive waterway.
- Taipei Deploys Navy, Air Force Following Passage of Chinese Carrier Through Taiwan Strait Sputnik 20 Dec 2020 -- Beijing previously slammed the US for sending one of its destroyers through the strait, which serves as a buffer between mainland China and Taiwan, an island that Beijing considers to be an inalienable part of its territory.
- China's Chang'e-5 retrieves 1,731 grams of moon samples People's Daily 20 Dec 2020 -- China's Chang'e-5 probe retrieved about 1,731 grams of samples from the moon, according to the China National Space Administration (CNSA).
- Carrier Shandong likely to return to S.China home port for future missions after recent Straits transit: analyst Global Times 20 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy's second aircraft carrier, the Shandong, sailed through the Taiwan Straits on Sunday toward the south in a combat group of four other PLA warships media reported.
- Xi Jinping Thought on Diplomacy guides China's actions as responsible country amid pandemic People's Daily 20 Dec 2020 -- In the special year of 2020 shaped by the COVID-19 pandemic, China has fulfilled its responsibilities as a major country in the world while safeguarding its national interests and dignity.
- China opposes U.S. move to add 59 Chinese entities to export control list People's Daily 20 Dec 2020 -- China is firmly opposed to the United States adding 59 Chinese entities to its "entity list" of export controls, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Commerce said Saturday.
- Chinese Company SMIC Slams US for Blacklisting Firm, Reiterates It's Not Affiliated With Military Sputnik 20 Dec 2020 -- On Friday, the US Commerce Department announced that it will put China's Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC) and 60 other Chinese companies on a trade blacklist in order "to protect US national security".
- China unveils new foreign investment security review rules to align with intl practice Global Times 20 Dec 2020 -- China unveiled new rules for reviewing foreign investment on security grounds over the weekend in a major move to align with global practice in regulating foreign investment in the military, key energy and information technology sectors, and financial services.
- Outspoken HK lawmaker mulls national security education center to supervise reforms Global Times 20 Dec 2020 -- An outspoken pro-establishment LegCo lawmaker Junius Ho Kwan-yiu plans to establish a center for national security education with 8 million Hong Kong dollar ($1.03 million), aiming to supervise reforms of liberal studies subjects at local schools while reporting public opinion to the new national security committee and other relevant authorities to further implement the national security law for Hong Kong.
- Huge gas reserve found in NW China's Xinjiang People's Daily 20 Dec 2020 -- A massive gas reservoir with expected reserves of over 100 billion cubic meters was found in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, according to PetroChina's local branch.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list