Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
17 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- WHO: China Welcoming COVID-19 Investigators VOA 17 Dec 2020 -- World Health Organization regional officials said Thursday China will welcome an international team of WHO experts to investigate the origins of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.
- Irradiation technology could be used in killing coronavirus on cold chain food packaging: China National Nuclear Corporation Global Times 17 Dec 2020 -- China National Nuclear Corporation and other institutions are researching irradiation technology to kill the coronavirus.
- Sichuan to vaccinate all high-risk groups by Feb 5 Global Times 17 Dec 2020 -- A total of 118,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines have arrived in Southwest China's Sichuan Province and the province plans to vaccinate all high-risk groups by February 5, local health officials said Thursday.
- Regulator extends suspension time for carriers taking in 5-10 infection cases Global Times 17 Dec 2020 -- China's civil aviation regulator has decided to extend the suspension time for air flights if five or more on-board passengers test positive for the coronavirus, always putting safety as its top concern.
- WHO intl team studying coronavirus origin to visit China in Jan, may also visit other countries: team member Global Times 17 Dec 2020 -- Wuhan may not be the location where the coronavirus made the zoonotic jump from animals to humans, with the transmission chain in the city potentially originating from humans, Chinese analysts said regarding the World Health Organization (WHO) international team's scheduled visit to Wuhan, noting that the team needs to investigate visitors, both Chinese and foreign, who came to Wuhan before the outbreak began, including foreign athletes attending the Military World Games held in Wuhan in October 2019.
- New US Maritime Strategy Targets Russia, China Moves to Control Sea Lanes Sputnik 17 Dec 2020 -- The United States plans to target "aggressive moves" by China and Russia to dominate key international waterways in a maritime strategy jointly announced by the Navy, Marines and Coast Guard in a report on Thursday.
- "Peaceful reunification and one country, two systems" the best way to achieve national reunification: Spokesperson PLA Daily 17 Dec 2020 -- "Peaceful reunification and one country, two systems" is the best way to achieve national reunification, and most in the fundamental interests of the Chinese nation, including Taiwan compatriots, said Zhu Fenglian, spokesperson of the Taiwan Affairs Office of China's State Council on a regular press conference on December 16.
- China rejects any renegotiation of Iran deal, urges US to rejoin JCPOA Press TV 17 Dec 2020 -- China says it does not support any renegotiation of the 2015 Iran nuclear agreement, reaffirming that the key to ending the stalemate over the multilateral deal is for the US to return to compliance and lift its anti-Iran sanctions.
- Xi congratulates complete success of Chang'e-5 mission Global Times 17 Dec 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Thursday congratulated the complete success of the Chang'e-5 mission that brings back the country's first samples collected from the moon.
- Xi congratulates complete success of Chang'e-5 mission PLA Daily 17 Dec 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Thursday congratulated the complete success of the Chang'e-5 mission that brings back the country's first samples collected from the moon.
- Chang'e-5 lands in North China, concludes epic lunar round trip Global Times 17 Dec 2020 -- Carrying around 2 kilograms of lunar samples, China's Chang'e-5 safely landed at its designated landing area in Siziwang Banner, North China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region around 2 am Thursday, bringing the craft's epic round trip between Earth and its celestial neighbor located some 380,000 kilometers away to a perfect conclusion.
- Chang'e 5's reentry capsule lands with moon samples People's Daily 17 Dec 2020 -- China's most sophisticated and challenging space adventure â€“ the Chang'e 5 robotic lunar mission â€“ ended successfully early Thursday morning with its load of rocks and dust from the moon landing on the grasslands in northern China.
- China's spacecraft brings home moon samples PLA Daily 17 Dec 2020 -- The return capsule of China's Chang'e-5 probe touched down on Earth in the early hours of Thursday, bringing back the country's first samples collected from the moon, as well as the world's freshest lunar samples in over 40 years.
- US cooks up mistrust on China by accusing China of 'missing maritime security meeting' Global Times 17 Dec 2020 -- The US should rethink the reason why China didn't appear at a meeting based on the China-US Military Maritime Consultative Agreement (MMCA) rather than rudely accuse China of not honoring agreements, said Chinese military and diplomatic experts, after the US commander of the Indo-Pacific Command criticized China for missing the meeting on Wednesday.
- PLA Nansha Garrison adopts new-type camouflage combat uniforms PLA Daily 17 Dec 2020 -- The PLA Navy's Nansha Garrison has recently begun to try on the new-type camouflage combat uniforms specially designed for the troops in the tropical areas, which is another major improvement on the combat equipment of troops stationed on the Nansha Islands following the provision of new combat boots.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on December 17, 2020 PRC MofA 17 Dec 2020
- Hong Kong Search Data Indicate Unease, Migration Plans Among Middle Class Radio Free Asia 17 Dec 2020 -- Google search engine results have indicated a sharp rise in the number of searches for emigration-related topics from Hong Kong since China first mooted the draconian national security law for the city, which took effect from July 1.
- 'Beijing's Plan to Export Revolution Hasn't Changed': Ching Cheong Radio Free Asia 17 Dec 2020 -- Veteran political journalist Ching Cheong, who moved to Hong Kong after serving three years of a five-year sentence in a mainland Chinese prison on national security charges, is now living through a city-wide crackdown on peaceful dissent under a draconian national security law imposed by Beijing. He told RFA that the newly established Bauhinia Party, which has close ties to the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP), is part of a broader strategy to control every aspect of life in the former British colony by eventually replacing its people:
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list