Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
09 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Italian Study Doesn't Contradict Theory That COVID-19 Came From Wuhan: Researcher Radio Free Asia 09 Dec 2020 -- An Italian medical researcher who reported finding signs of antibodies to COVID-19 in Italian patients before China confirmed its first official case of the disease on Dec. 31 have said the findings don't undermine the prevailing view that the virus originated in Wuhan.
- China delivers 2nd batch of anti-coronavirus medical aid to Arab League Global Times 09 Dec 2020 -- China on Tuesday delivered the second batch of anti-coronavirus medical aid, including 130,000 N95 masks, to the Arab League based in Cairo, capital of Egypt.
- Chinese COVID-19 vaccine registered in UAE with 86% efficacy, no serious safety concerns Global Times 09 Dec 2020 -- Chinese-developed inactivated COVID-19 vaccine has shown 86 percent efficacy against the virus, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) health ministry said on Wednesday, based on their interim analysis of Phase-III clinical trials.
- Chengdu tightens COVID-19 control in communities, expands nucleic acid testing Global Times 09 Dec 2020 -- After entering "wartime mode" amid a fresh COVID-19 outbreak, the southwest Chinese city of Chengdu has tightened epidemic control measures in residential compounds citywide and further expanded nucleic acid tests on Wednesday to cover some college students and faculty members.
- Sichuan starts emergency vaccine use for 12 priority groups, mass inoculation to follow Global Times 09 Dec 2020 -- Southwest China's Sichuan Province has started coronavirus vaccine emergency use for 12 types of high-risk groups - about 2 million people - with inoculation scheduled to be completed by the end of the year. The public will have access to the vaccine after the upcoming 2021 Chinese Spring Festival begins on February 12.
- China's Chengdu reports 4 new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases, 1 asymptomatic case People's Daily 09 Dec 2020 -- Chengdu, capital city of southwest China's Sichuan Province, reported four new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases and one asymptomatic case on Tuesday, local authorities said.
- Chinese-made COVID-19 Vaccine Nearly 90% Effective, UAE Says VOA 09 Dec 2020 -- One day after Britain became the first Western nation to begin mass COVID-19 vaccinations, the United Arab Emirates says a Chinese-made vaccine has proven to be 86% effective in preventing moderate and severe cases of the disease.
- China, ASEAN vow to jointly safeguard South China Sea PLA Daily 09 Dec 2020 -- Attending the 14th ASEAN Defense Ministers' Meeting, which started on Wednesday morning via video link, the Chinese State Councilor and Defense Minister Wei Fenghe said that China and countries from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) have the wisdom and ability to properly handle the South China Sea issue and jointly safeguard the peace and stability in the region.
- How China‚Äôs Offshore Oil Driller Will Keep Grip in Disputed Sea Despite US Sanctions VOA 09 Dec 2020 -- The United States imposed sanctions this month on a major Chinese offshore oil driller that Washington considers aligned with the Chinese military. But some regional experts say the oil and gas company, which counts U.S. citizens among its investors and does billions of dollars of work including in the contested South China Sea, will find ways to remain China‚Äôs commercial flagbearer.
- Chinese defense ministry firmly opposes U.S. arms sale to Taiwan People's Daily 09 Dec 2020 -- A Chinese military spokesperson on Tuesday voiced firm opposition to the U.S. sale of military communications systems to Taiwan.
- Chinese defense ministry denounces $280 million US arms sales to Taiwan PLA Daily 09 Dec 2020 -- ‚ÄúChina firmly opposes US arms sales to Taiwan and urges the US to immediately cancel the projects of selling weapons to Taiwan,‚ÄĚ said Senior Colonel Ren Guoqiang, spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense (MND) on Tuesday night, when commenting on the sale of about $280 million worth of military communications equipment to Taiwan region approved by the US State Department on December 7.
- Taiwan authority ‚Äėpersecutes mainlanders, pro-reunification activists‚Äô Global Times 09 Dec 2020 -- The local authority of Taipei, in the island of Taiwan, has investigated a Chinese mainland woman, who is the head of a pro-reunification female NGO on the island, with the excuse of "threatening national security."
- PLA introduces new, highly mobile assault vehicle-based howitzer: report Global Times 09 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) recently introduced a type of newly developed assault vehicle-based howitzer, which experts said on Wednesday is more mobile than truck-based howitzers and can operate in challenging, off-road terrains where other types of other artillery cannot.
- Military-civilian joint environment emergency response drill conducted in southwest China PLA Daily 09 Dec 2020 -- Military and civilian departments in Chongqing Municipality and Sichuan Province jointly launched a large-scale drill for environmental emergencies in the Jialing River basin of southwest China on November 26.
- Chinese Defence Industry Reportedly Became World's Second Largest in 2019 Sputnik 09 Dec 2020 -- Even the limited amount of available data suggests that Chinese military companies' share on the global arms market is second only to that of their American rivals.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on December 9, 2020 PRC MofA 09 Dec 2020
- US Visa Restrictions on China to Pose Test for Biden VOA 09 Dec 2020 -- As tensions between Beijing and Washington have worsened over the past year, U.S. officials have tightened visa restrictions, kicking out hundreds of Chinese researchers accused of hiding military ties and branding some Chinese technology companies security threats.
- The Chinese Communist Party on the American Campus US Dept. of State 09 Dec 2020 -- Speech by Michael R. Pompeo, Secretary of State
- China, US should strive to resume dialogue, return to right track and rebuild mutual trust: Chinese FM Global Times 09 Dec 2020 -- A most pressing issue for China and the US is to work together to remove all obstacles and achieve a smooth transition in bilateral relations and to resume dialogue, return to the right track and rebuild mutual trust, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday.
- China declares bid to uphold rights of firms against US sanctions Press TV 09 Dec 2020 -- Tension between the Chinese and American governments seems to be nowhere near the end. Beijing has reacted to Washington's blacklisting of its companies and ships over accusations of defying sanctions against North Korea, saying China is sure to adopt measures to sustain the rights of the targeted firms.
- 'Reciprocal sanctions' in NPC's high-level warning likely apply to Pompeo, anti-China congressmen Global Times 09 Dec 2020 -- A spokesperson of the Standing Committee of the 13th National People's Congress (NPC) on Wednesday slammed the US for its brutal and despicable sanctions on top officials of China's top legislature over the national security law for Hong Kong, the highest-level warning to the US since 1999.
- China summons U.S. embassy official, protests against U.S. sanctions on NPC officials People's Daily 09 Dec 2020 -- Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Zheng Zeguang on Tuesday summoned Robert Forden, the deputy chief of mission at the U.S. Embassy in China, to lodge solemn protest and strong condemnation over the U.S. so-called sanctions against 14 vice chairpersons of China's National People's Congress Standing Committee.
- Religious Groups Fear Crackdown After Raid on Hong Kong Protest Church Radio Free Asia 09 Dec 2020 -- Hong Kong religious groups, seen by the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) as hotbeds of foreign influence, are now in danger of being targeted for political reasons under China's draconian national security law, Christian community leaders warned on Wednesday.
- FM refutes US accusations about suppressing Xinjiang ethnic minorities' cultures and languages Global Times 09 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry slammed the US government over its accusations that China is wiping out languages, cultures and religions of ethnic minorities in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
- Rights Group Details Role Of Big Data To Target Uyghurs In China's Xinjiang RFE/RL 09 Dec 2020 -- Human Rights Watch (HRW) says it has analyzed a leaked list of more than 2,000 Uyghur detainees in China's Xinjiang suggesting that the authorities are using an expansive data-collection program to "arbitrarily" select Turkic Muslims in the region for possible detention.
- China to ensure sustainability of macro policies: Premier Li People's Daily 09 Dec 2020 -- China will ensure the continuity, stability, and sustainability of its macro policies and try to keep the economy running within a reasonable range, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said on Tuesday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list