Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
07 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Shenzhen sees influx of HK residents fleeing epidemic Global Times 07 Dec 2020 -- There has been a spike in the number of people from Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) entering the Chinese mainland via Shenzhen Bay Port in South China's Guangdong Province, with numbers of up to 3,000 in one day, as the fourth wave of the epidemic engulfs the international financial hub.
- Chengdu on high alert after domestic COVID-19 cases found in nine months Global Times 07 Dec 2020 -- The city of Chengdu, Southwest China's Sichuan Province, is on high alert after a reporting two local COVID-19 cases on Monday. The local government sealed off the hospital where the first patient received treatment, conducted an overall epidemiological survey, traced and quarantined all close contacts of the patient, and arranged a large-scale nucleic acid test procedure for local residents.
- Coronavirus found in Shanghai's six local cases the same as European virus strain Global Times 07 Dec 2020 -- The COVID-19 strain from samples of the six local cases confirmed from November 20 to 23 in Shanghai is the same as that which is prevalent in Europe, indicating the infection source of those cases was from overseas, a Shanghai government official said during a press conference on Monday.
- Sinovac receives $500 million in funds for coronavirus vaccine development Global Times 07 Dec 2020 -- Chinese vaccine developer Sinovac Life Sciences Co has received about $500 million in funds from Sino Biopharmaceutical for the development, manufacturing and capacity expansion of vaccines against novel coronavirus.
- More nations plan 1st anti-virus dose from China Global Times 07 Dec 2020 -- As global vaccine providers speed up trials and various countries scramble to set up distribution, December has become a flashpoint for the global vaccine race as COVID-19 vaccine candidates approach the end of late-stage testing.
- Chinese mainland reports 3 new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 07 Dec 2020 -- China's National Health Commission said Monday that it received reports of 15 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Sunday, three of which were domestically transmitted in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region.
- East China county finds coronavirus on imported frozen food packaging People's Daily 07 Dec 2020 -- Three imported frozen beef packaging samples tested positive for the novel coronavirus in Juye County, east China's Shandong Province, local health authorities said Sunday.
- China's Wuhan finds coronavirus on packaging of imported frozen meat People's Daily 07 Dec 2020 -- Two imported frozen food packaging samples tested positive for the novel coronavirus in Wuhan, capital of central China's Hubei Province, local health authorities said Sunday.
- Beijing's Military Bases in Contested South China Sea Vulnerable to Enemy Attack, Claims Report Sputnik 07 Dec 2020 -- China, which lays claim to almost all of the South China Sea, despite overlapping territorial claims in the waterway from at least six other governments, including the Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei and Taiwan, has been building up reefs and sandbars into fortified man-made artificial islands since 2014.
- Chang'e 5 set to start journey to Earth People's Daily 07 Dec 2020 -- Lunar samples collected by China's Chang'e 5 robotic probe will soon start their journey toward Earth, according to the China National Space Administration.
- China urges US to rejoin JCPOA, to lift anti-Iran sanctions IRNA 07 Dec 2020 -- China Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying described current situation of Iran nuclear deal as complex, urging the United States to return to Iran nuclear deal and to lift sanctions against Iran.
- China: US must return to JCPOA unconditionally, resume compliance Press TV 07 Dec 2020 -- China has called for an 'unconditional' return of the United States to the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), and resumption of Washington's compliance with its obligations under the accord.
- Chinese troops go to Pakistan for "Shaheen (Eagle) - IX" joint air force exercise PLA Daily 07 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese air force's troops set off on Dec. 7 for the Pakistani Air Force's air base in Bholari at Thatta District in Sindh, northeast of Pakistan's Karachi to participate in the China-Pakistan Joint Air Force Exercise "Shaheen (Eagle) - IX".
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on December 7, 2020 PRC MofA 07 Dec 2020
- China, US likely to prioritize business dialogues, diplomatic exchanges to come after Biden takes office: expert Global Times 07 Dec 2020 -- China and the US are likely to prioritize trade and business dialogues, while diplomatic dialogues could reopen after Joe Biden takes office in January, meanwhile it would be a slow process for the two countries' return to cooperation.
- High alert needed with Biden administration on S.China Sea, Taiwan Straits Global Times 07 Dec 2020 -- US warships once again entered the South China Sea on Sunday, a bluff and muscle-flexing action that pundits believe would damage regional stability.
- Chinese Foreign Minister urges China, US to open dialogues at all levels Global Times 07 Dec 2020 -- China and the US should launch dialogues at all levels, as all issues can be brought to the table for discussion, whether they are strategic, comprehensive and long-term tasks or specific ones, Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said at a video conference with the US-China Business Council board of chairs on Monday.
- Designations of National People's Congress Officials Undermining the Autonomy of Hong Kong US Dept. of State 07 Dec 2020 -- Beijing's unrelenting assault against Hong Kong's democratic processes has gutted its Legislative Council, rendering the body a rubber stamp devoid of meaningful opposition.
- Outgoing Trump administration sanctions 14 Chinese officials over Hong Kong Press TV 07 Dec 2020 -- The administration of outgoing US President Donald Trump has imposed sanctions on a number of Chinese officials for what Washington claims to be their role in Beijing's disqualification of elected opposition legislators in Hong Kong.
- US preparing new sanctions on Chinese officials over Hong Kong Press TV 07 Dec 2020 -- The United States is gearing up to impose sanctions on a number of Chinese officials for what Washington claims to be their role in Beijing's disqualification of elected opposition legislators in Hong Kong.
- Hong Kong National Security Police Arrest Eight Over Slogans at Graduation Protest Radio Free Asia 07 Dec 2020 -- Police in Hong Kong on Monday arrested eight people -- including two directly elected members of the District Council -- over a peaceful graduation protest at the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK), three of them under the national security law for "inciting secession."
- US Designates 14 Chinese Officials in New Sanctions Over Hong Kong Sputnik 07 Dec 2020 -- The United States has targeted more than a dozen Chinese officials in a new round of sanctions over Hong Kong, the Department of the Treasury announced on Monday.
- China strongly opposes looming US sanctions on Chinese officials over disqualification of HK lawmakers Global Times 07 Dec 2020 -- Following media reports that the US government has been mulling new sanctions on at least 12 Chinese officials for the recent disqualification of Hong Kong Legislative Council lawmakers, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying reiterated China's position of opposing US interference in China's internal affairs through Hong Kong-related issues.
- HK's framework for fighting money laundering in compliance with intl standards: HKMA Global Times 07 Dec 2020 -- Hong Kong's framework for fighting money laundering and its specific anti-money laundering efforts are in compliance with international standards, a spokesperson with the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) said on Monday, after local police revealed ex-lawmaker Ted Hui Chi-fung is being investigated for money laundering.
- HK police arrest 8 involved in CUHK graduation pro-secession parade Global Times 07 Dec 2020 -- The Hong Kong Police Force (HKPF) arrested at least eight people on Monday who were involved in the pro-secession parade in the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) on November 19, including District Council member Eason Chan Yik-shun and CUHK graduate Arthur Yeung.
- China slams looming sanctions on officials in HK Global Times 07 Dec 2020 -- Several Chinese officials and prominent academics on Hong Kong affairs said the looming US sanctions on at least 12 Chinese officials would not be as meaningful as several Hong Kong-related bills passed by the US Congress since the social turmoil in the Chinese city in 2019. Those so-called punitive moves made by Washington are purely political gestures.
- HKSAR gov't official stresses education on Constitution, Basic Law People's Daily 07 Dec 2020 -- A senior official of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government on Sunday stressed the education on the Constitution and the Hong Kong Basic Law to correct the misunderstanding of some people about "one country, two systems."
- Rare-earth exports plunge in first 11 months: Chinese customs Global Times 07 Dec 2020 -- China's rare-earth exports plunged 26.7 percent year-on-year in the first 11 months of 2020, despite some improvement in November, according to customs data released on Monday. Experts said the decline reflected dropping demand as major export markets, including the US, were still mired in the COVID-19 pandemic.
- China's rare earth exports plunge for eight months in Nov, narrowing from previous drops Global Times 07 Dec 2020 -- China's rare earth exports plunged for the eighth consecutive month in November, to 2,611.1 tons, according to customs data released on Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list