Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
04 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China ensures COVID-19 vaccine with full supply chain amid Pfizer doses cuts Global Times 04 Dec 2020 -- Just as US pharmaceutical giant Pfizer was reported to cut in half its original doses due to supply chain-related obstacles, a top Chinese expert said that China could roll out as many as 600 million doses of injections before the year's end, marking the start of what could shape up to be a fierce competition for production of vaccine, where the countries' supply chains and technological prowess will be on test, after the initial research and development stage.
- China will approve 600m doses of inactivated COVID-19 vaccine by yearend Global Times 04 Dec 2020 -- China plans to approve 600 million doses of an inactivated COVID-19 vaccine by the end of 2020, Wang Junzhi, an academician and a member of the national vaccine R&D specialist group, said on Friday at a pharmaceutical conference held in Central China's Wuhan.
- China's border city reports 3 new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 04 Dec 2020 -- China's border city of Manzhouli reported three new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases in the past day, local health authorities said Friday.
- 12 COVID-19 patients newly discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 04 Dec 2020 -- A total of 12 COVID-19 patients were newly discharged from hospitals after recovery across the Chinese mainland on Thursday, the National Health Commission said in a daily report Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports 15 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 04 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 15 new imported COVID-19 cases Thursday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 3,904.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 04 Dec 2020 -- China's National Health Commission said Friday that it received reports of 17 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Thursday, two of which were domestically transmitted in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region.
- Three Chinese military planes enter Taiwan's ADIZ CNA 04 Dec 2020 -- Three Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) warplanes entered Taiwan's southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Friday, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said that day.
- China's spacecraft takes off from moon with samples People's Daily 04 Dec 2020 -- A Chinese spacecraft carrying the country's first lunar samples blasted off from the moon late Thursday, the China National Space Administration announced.
- PLA naval escort taskforce conducts in-port replenishment in Djibouti PLA Daily 04 Dec 2020 -- The comprehensive supply ship Dongpinghu (Hull 960) attached to the 36th escort taskforce of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy left the Port of Djibouti recently after more than 7 hours' in-port replenishment. This is the first in-port replenishment of the taskforce since it set sail from China on September 3. And all the supplies of the in-port replenishment came from domestic China.
- China rotates its peacekeeping infantry battalion in South Sudan PLA Daily 04 Dec 2020 -- The first echelon's 350 peacekeepers of the Chinese 7th peacekeeping infantry battalion to South Sudan departed on December 3 from north China's Tianjin Municipality for a one-year peacekeeping mission.
- China sends 350 peacekeepers to South Sudan People's Daily 04 Dec 2020 -- A 350-member echelon of China's seventh peacekeeping infantry battalion to Juba, South Sudan, on Thursday departed north China's Tianjin on a one-year mission.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on December 4, 2020 PRC MofA 04 Dec 2020
- Rubio, Warner Joint Statement on National Security Threat Posed by China Senator Rubio 04 Dec 2020 -- Senate Select Committee on Intelligence Acting Chairman Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Vice Chairman Mark Warner (D-VA) released the following joint statement regarding the challenge posed to the United States by the Chinese government and Communist Party:
- U.S. Imposes Sanctions on People's Republic of China Officials Engaged in Coercive Influence Activities US Dept. of State 04 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has long sought to spread Marxist-Leninist ideology and exert its influence all over the world. The CCP's United Front Work Department funds and supports overseas organizations to spread propaganda and coerces and bullies those who would oppose Beijing's policies.
- Termination of PRC-Funded Propaganda Programs US Dept. of State 04 Dec 2020 -- Today, the Department of State terminated five programs, disguised as "cultural exchanges," with the People's Republic of China (PRC).
- US Slaps Sanctions on Chinese Officials Over 'Coercive Influence Activities' Sputnik 04 Dec 2020 -- Washington has repeatedly accused Beijing of allegedly luring neighbouring states into its sphere of influence with lucrative economic offers or business deals in order to influence their domestic and foreign policies. China, however, denies being involved in "malign" activities in regards to its neighbours.
- Despite calling China a 'security threat,' US is the most militant nation on earth: FM Global Times 04 Dec 2020 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry and Chinese Embassy to the US on Friday refuted an article in the Wall Street Journal which called China "national security threat No. 1," criticizing the fact-distorting article which laid bare the Cold War mentality and ideological prejudice in the current administration, ignoring the fact that the US is the most militant country on earth.
- US urged to stop abusing 'state power' in crackdown on Chinese firms Global Times 04 Dec 2020 -- China's Foreign Ministry on Friday harshly criticized the latest decision by the US to blacklist four Chinese companies, including leading chipmaker Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC), saying it violates international trade rules and will hurt the US' national interests and image.
- China braces for "open-ended confrontation with America': US spy chief Press TV 04 Dec 2020 -- The top US spy chief has accused China of preparing for "an open-ended period of confrontation with the US," in another effort by the outgoing administration of Donald Trump to further escalate tensions with Beijing in its final days in the White House.
- Trump adds China's SMIC and CNOOC to defense blacklist Press TV 04 Dec 2020 -- The administration of US President Donald Trump has added China's main chipmaker SMIC and national offshore oil and gas producer CNOOC to a blacklist of alleged Chinese military companies.
- US Imposes Visa Sanctions on Chinese Officials Active in United Front Activities Radio Free Asia 04 Dec 2020 -- The U.S. on Friday imposed new visa sanctions on Chinese officials it said are "engaged in coercive influence activities" to overcome opposition to Beijing's political goals, including policies that have led to rights abuses in Xinjiang and Tibet.
- China replaces US to become largest trade partner of EU Global Times 04 Dec 2020 -- China replaces the US to become the largest trade partner of the EU in the third quarter of this year, reflecting the resilience and potential of China-EU economic and trade relationship, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said at a regular press briefing on Friday.
- Taiwan to implement special visa, investment rules for Hong Kongers CNA 04 Dec 2020 -- Taiwan will introduce a special set of immigration and other rules for people from Hong Kong who wish to enter for the purposes of study, work or investment, the nation's top China policymaking body said Thursday, after three pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong were sentenced to prison the previous day.
- HK stresses lawmakers' loyalty 'bottom-line' on Constitution Day Global Times 04 Dec 2020 -- The decision adopted by China's top legislature on the qualifications of Hong Kong lawmakers further clarifies the "bottom line" and political rules for "patriots governing Hong Kong," ensuring that all politicians uphold the Constitution, the Basic Law, and are loyal to the country and Hong Kong, expelling those who pose a danger to the country and Hong Kong from the local governance structure, a senior Chinese official said on Friday.
- Hong Kong police vow to arrest absconding ex-lawmaker People's Daily 04 Dec 2020 -- The Hong Kong police said they will track down and arrest ex-lawmaker Ted Hui who absconded during a trial.
- China Hits Out at 'Interference' Amid Growing Concerns Over Hong Kong Crackdown Radio Free Asia 04 Dec 2020 -- China on Friday hit out at Denmark for what it termed "interference in Hong Kong's affairs" after former Democratic Party lawmaker Ted Hui traveled to the country at the invitation of Danish lawmakers.
- Chinese company wins bid for the first phase of the African CDC project Global Times 04 Dec 2020 -- A Chinese company wins bid for the first phase of the African Center for Disease Control and Prevention project (African CDC) of the African Union on Wednesday. A milestone in cooperation between China and African countries to strengthen their public health and epidemic prevention systems.
- Over 152,000 Chinese officials held accountable in China's anti-corruption campaign this year Global Times 04 Dec 2020 -- A total of 152,850 officials have been held accountable across China this year for violating the eight-point regulation, rules that were released by the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China Central Committee in December 2012 to improve Party and government conduct.
- China Urged to Stop Coal Projects Immediately Radio Free Asia 04 Dec 2020 -- Environmental advocates are zeroing in on the conflict between China's plans to build hundreds of new coal-fired power plants and its pledge to become carbon-neutral four decades from now.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list