Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
03 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese vaccines progress steadily as more nations mull mass inoculation Global Times 03 Dec 2020 -- As more countries, including the UK, Japan and Russia, are eager to roll out mass vaccination programs to combat the deadly coronavirus, China stressed a scientific and diversified pathway to mass vaccination that can satisfy global criteria.
- Shenzhen resident, close contact of a confirmed case from Hong Kong, tests positive for COVID-19 Global Times 03 Dec 2020 -- A resident in Shenzhen of South China's Guangdong Province tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday, Shenzhen authority announced. He is a close contact of a Hong Kong truck driver who commutes between Hong Kong and Shenzhen and was recently confirmed to be infected with the virus on Tuesday.
- China makes steady progress towards coronavirus vaccines to market Global Times 03 Dec 2020 -- Chinese vice premier Sun Chunlan stressed a scientific and rigorous preparation is required for the mass production of Chinese-developed COVID-19 vaccines during an inspection tour of vaccine production lines of some leading manufacturers in Beijing on Wednesday, the same day the UK became the first Western country to approve a coronavirus vaccine for widespread use.
- China's border city reports 1 new domestically transmitted COVID-19 case People's Daily 03 Dec 2020 -- China's border city of Manzhouli reported one new domestically transmitted COVID-19 case in the past day, local health authorities said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 03 Dec 2020 -- China's National Health Commission said Thursday that it received reports of 16 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Wednesday, all imported from outside the mainland.
- China's Hubei reports 1 new imported COVID-19 case People's Daily 03 Dec 2020 -- China's Hubei Province reported one confirmed COVID-19 case imported from Pakistan on Wednesday, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- Shenzhen reports one new asymptomatic COVID-19 case People's Daily 03 Dec 2020 -- The southern Chinese metropolis of Shenzhen reported one new asymptomatic case of COVID-19, local health authorities announced Wednesday.
- Chang'e-5 probe unfolds Chinese national flag, takes off from moon with lunar surface samples Global Times 03 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese national flag shines an even brighter red from moon, and from now on it will be a grand reminder for stargazers from all over the world of the excitement and inspiration we felt from Apollo missions more than half a century ago.
- EU Executive Plan Proposes Sanctions On Spreaders Of Fake News, Such As Russia RFE/RL 03 Dec 2020 -- European Commission Vice President Vera Jourova says the EU's executive arm will propose sanctioning entities who spread disinformation -- especially "foreign actors" from such countries as Russia and China -- in an effort to "impose a cost" on those putting out fake news.
- China's first vessel-borne lightweight helicopter drone makes maiden flight Global Times 03 Dec 2020 -- China's first domestically developed vessel-borne lightweight helicopter drone has recently made its maiden flight, its maker announced. It is designed to conduct maritime monitoring and identification tasks, and is expected to be used on board smaller vessels including corvettes and coast guard ships for missions like patrol and search and rescue, analysts predicted.
- China is pushing forward with export control law: MOFCOM Global Times 03 Dec 2020 -- China is actively advancing legislative work relating to enforcement measures of the country's new export control law, China's Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) said on Thursday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on December 3, 2020 PRC MofA 03 Dec 2020
- Outgoing US Intel Chief Warns China Seeking Global Domination VOA 03 Dec 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's top intelligence official is calling out China, describing the government in Beijing as the most pressing threat to freedom and democracy since the Second World War.
- DOD Releases List of Additional Companies, In Accordance With Section 1237 of FY19 NDAA DoD 03 Dec 2020 -- Today, the Department of Defense released the names of additional "Communist Chinese military companies" operating directly or indirectly in the United States in accordance with the statutory requirement of Section 1237 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1999, as amended.
- US should not treat everyone as a spy; 'presumption of guilt' absurd: Chinese FM Global Times 03 Dec 2020 -- The US should abandon its narrow, extreme mentality and stop treating everyone as a spy. China hopes the US will adopt a rational and objective attitude, correct its mistakes and create favorable conditions for normal personnel exchanges between the two countries, China's Foreign Ministry said at Thursday's media briefing.
- US Adds Four Chinese Companies to Defense Blacklist Over Alleged Military Ties Sputnik 03 Dec 2020 -- Days after the US media called the election for Democratic candidate Joe Biden, US President Donald Trump revealed he'd signed an executive order that would bar Americans from investing in nearly three dozen firms that allegedly do business with the Chinese military.
- US Tightens Visa Limits on Chinese Communist Party Officials Amid Spike in US-China Trade Tensions Sputnik 03 Dec 2020 -- The measures come after US secretary of state Mike Pompeo said in November the US was "not finished yet" with China, calling the nation's ruliing party a "Marxist-Leninist monster" that was "authoritarian, brutish and antithetical to human freedom".
- China denounces new US visa 'restrictions' for members of Chinese Communist Party Press TV 03 Dec 2020 -- China has lambasted the outgoing administration of US President Donald Trump for imposing travel restrictions on members of the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) and their families.
- Aussie foreign relations bill could further worsen China ties Global Times 03 Dec 2020 -- Australia's parliament on Thursday passed legislation empowering its federal government to veto any agreement struck with foreign states, a move likely to further worsen China-Australia ties which are already extremely tense, as Chinese experts warned that Canberra should be careful and avoid any escalation to cause non-repairable damage.
- US Bans Cotton Imports from Chinese Company Over Allegations of Human Rights Violations VOA 03 Dec 2020 -- The Trump administration has imposed a ban on imports of cotton products manufactured by a Chinese state-controlled firm because of its reliance on the forced labor of detained ethnic minorities.
- China Denounces US Claim About Forced Labour of Uyghurs at Cotton Facility in Xinjiang Sputnik 03 Dec 2020 -- The United States' allegation that a cotton producing facility in China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region uses forced labour is fabricated and is aimed at containing the Asian country's economic development, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying said on Thursday.
- Is US trying to create 'forced unemployment, poverty' in Xinjiang? Chinese FM asks Global Times 03 Dec 2020 -- Helping people get a job and "forced labor" are two different concepts. Does the US want to create "forced unemployment" and "forced poverty" in China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region by cracking down on local enterprises through sanctions?
- US Blocks China Cotton at Border Claiming Use of Convict Labor Sputnik 03 Dec 2020 -- The US government issued an order to block cotton imports from a Xinjiang governmental organization in China, claiming that they were produced through the use of convict labor, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced in a press release.
- On the Political Persecution of Hong Kong Democracy Advocates US Dept. of State 03 Dec 2020 -- The United States is appalled by the Hong Kong government's political persecution of Hong Kong's courageous pro-democracy advocates.
- US Lawmakers Denounce Sentencing of Hong Kong Activists VOA 03 Dec 2020 -- The Hong Kong government's decision to sentence three prominent activists to prison for organizing an unauthorized assembly drew fire from several key member of the U.S. Congress.
- Hong Kong Publishing Tycoon, Pro-Democracy Activist Arrested Again VOA 03 Dec 2020 -- Hong Kong media tycoon and pro-democracy advocate Jimmy Lai has been arrested and charged with fraud.
- Jimmy Lai denied bail, may be detained till April given risks of fleeing HK Global Times 03 Dec 2020 -- Jimmy Lai, founder of Hong Kong media group Next Digital, was denied bail in his fraud case on Thursday and may be detained until his next trial â€” scheduled for April â€” while his violation of the national security law for Hong Kong is still in the legal process. Observers familiar with Hong Kong affairs suspected the denial was due to risks that Lai may flee Hong Kong.
- Hong Kong Pro-Democracy Media Magnate Jimmy Lai Behind Bars Over 'Fraud' Charge Radio Free Asia 03 Dec 2020 -- A court in Hong Kong on Thursday denied bail to pro-democracy media mogul Jimmy Lai after charging him with "fraud," in a decision that will see Lai remain behind bars until his next court appearance on April 16.
- Trends of Major Power Relations heatedly discussed at Beijing Xiangshan Forum PLA Daily 03 Dec 2020 -- A panel focused on "Trends of Major Power Relations" of the Beijing Xiangshan Forum video workshop was held on December 2. Experts and scholars from countries, including China, the US, Australia, and Singapore had a deep exchange of views. Yuan Peng, President of China Institutes of Contemporary International Relations (CICIR), chaired the panel.
- China's Tibetan Hydropower Plan Sparks Worries Among Downstream Countries Radio Free Asia 03 Dec 2020 -- Plans by the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) to begin construction of a new dam and hydropower project on the Yarlung Tsangpo River, which becomes the Brahmaputra River in India and Bangladesh, have sparked concerns over massive environmental destruction, social impact and downstream water shortages, experts have told RFA.
- China has right to develop Yarlung Zangbo River, to stay in touch with India, Bangladesh: Chinese FM Global Times 03 Dec 2020 -- It is China's legitimate right to develop the hydropower of Yarlung Zangbo River, Chinese foreign ministry said on Thursday, noting that China will stay in touch with India, Bangladesh through existing channels.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list