Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
01 December 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Today's China the most convincing response to Western COVID suspicions Global Times 01 Dec 2020 -- No matter how successfully China has contained the spread of the coronavirus with all-out efforts and how the country has passed on its experiences of handling the epidemic to the world in a timely manner, some Western media has not given up its longstanding prejudices and ideological biases when looking back at the past year, after American broadcaster CNN came up with a so-called classified file on Tuesday in an attempt to sensationalize obsolete issues and mislead the world again.
- China's vaccines better suit Africa, LatAm due to 'lower costs, easier logistics' Global Times 01 Dec 2020 -- African and some Latin American countries would prefer Chinese-developed inactivated vaccines, due to their competitive costs and easier logistics, to stop their pandemic crisis, said analysts in both the vaccine and drug transportation services.
- Transit inspection on imported cold-chain foods enacted in East China's Ningbo Global Times 01 Dec 2020 -- A transit inspection process on imported cold-chain foods has been implemented in Ningbo, East China's Zhejiang Province, on Tuesday, to inspect and manage imported cold-chain foods through Ningbo customs as well as customs in other cities as COVID-19 risks surge in imported cold-chain cargo while the pandemic spirals overseas with winter approaching, reported Ningbo Evening News.
- SK Hynix Chongqing staff test negative for COVID-19, set to resume operation under strict prevention measures Global Times 01 Dec 2020 -- All staff at SK Hynix's Chongqing plant have tested negative for COVID-19 allowing operations to resume under strict prevention measures, the company said in a statement on Monday.
- Alibaba's Cainiao launches air route with Ethiopian Airlines, to deliver COVID-19 vaccines Global Times 01 Dec 2020 -- Alibaba's Cainiao Network announced on Sunday the launch of an air route in partnership with Ethiopian Airlines to aid the export of drugs that require temperature-controlled storage facilities, including COVID-19 vaccines.
- Fears over supply chain from COVID-19 cases in imported Russian seafood Global Times 01 Dec 2020 -- The rising number of coronavirus cases in cold chain imported aquatic products from Russia, China's largest source of aquatic imports, has cast a shadow of uncertainty over the seafood industry both domestically and globally, with industry insiders calling for further cooperation in cross-border cold chains in a bid to ensure smoother supply in the post-pandemic era.
- East China's Shandong Province reports one asymptomatic COVID-19 case People's Daily 01 Dec 2020 -- One asymptomatic case of COVID-19 was found during regular checks on cold-chain workers in the city of Jiaozhou in east China's Shandong Province, local authorities said Tuesday.
- Beijing reports 1 new imported COVID-19 case People's Daily 01 Dec 2020 -- One new imported COVID-19 case was reported in Beijing on Monday, the municipal health commission said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 4 new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 01 Dec 2020 -- China's National Health Commission said Tuesday that it received reports of 12 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Monday, including four domestically transmitted cases and eight imported ones.
- PLA warplane enters Taiwan's ADIZ for fourth consecutive day CNA 01 Dec 2020 -- An Y-8 anti-submarine aircraft from the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) entered Taiwan's southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ) Tuesday morning, marking the fourth straight day of such incursions, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- China urges U.S. to stop arms sales to Taiwan: spokesperson People's Daily 01 Dec 2020 -- China on Monday reiterated its firm opposition to U.S. arms sales to Taiwan, urging the United States to handle Taiwan-related issues prudently and properly and avoid "treading further down the wrong and dangerous path."
- Chang'e-5 lands on moon, lays foundation for manned mission Global Times 01 Dec 2020 -- The lander-ascender combination of China's Chang'e-5 lunar probe has successfully landed on the Mons Rumker area of the huge volcanic plain Oceanus Procellarum, known as the "Ocean of Storms," on the near side of the moon on Tuesday evening, China's National Space Administration said.
- China Space Agency: Lunar Probe Successfully Lands on Moon VOA 01 Dec 2020 -- The China National Space Administration (CNSA) has announced its Chang'e-5 spacecraft, designed to collect lunar samples and return them to Earth, successfully landed on the near side of the moon.
- US accuses China of 'flagrant violation' of North Korea sanctions Press TV 01 Dec 2020 -- The US administration has accused China of a "flagrant violation" of sanctions against North Korea, which are aimed to prevent Pyongyang from advancing its peaceful nuclear and ballistic missile programs.
- PLA holds intensive fighter jet exercises at strategic military location in NW China Global Times 01 Dec 2020 -- A large number of Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) warplanes recently conducted a series of intensive exercises around a Western Theater Command Air Force base, which is located at an important strategic point in Northwest China. The drills honed and demonstrated the Chinese military's capability to safeguard the country's western air defense border, analysts said on Tuesday.
- CPC leadership reviews regulations on military political work, united front, Party members' rights People's Daily 01 Dec 2020 -- The Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee met on Monday to review regulations on the political work in the armed forces, the Party's united front work and safeguarding Party members' rights.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on December 1, 2020 PRC MofA 01 Dec 2020
- China in 'Global Contest' With US for Power, Influence: Report Radio Free Asia 01 Dec 2020 -- China under the leadership of President Xi Jinping is increasing its efforts to replace the United States as a major world power, strengthening its military for greater force projection and seeking ways to present its one-party, authoritarian style of government as an alternative to Western models of liberal democracy, according to a new report.
- China sanctions four with U.S. links over "vicious" Hong Kong actions People's Daily 01 Dec 2020 -- China has decided to impose sanctions on four people with U.S. institutional links who have acted viciously on issues related to the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), a foreign ministry spokesperson said Monday.
- China eyes Biden team for trade talks Global Times 01 Dec 2020 -- As US president-elect Joe Biden started to pick his economic team, China is also waiting to see who will take over Washington's years-long trade and technology war with Beijing, with analysts expressing "cautious optimism" after Biden chose economists with no obvious anti-China views, including Treasury Secretary nominee Janet Yellen, to his cabinet.
- China continues push for Meng's release 2 years on Global Times 01 Dec 2020 -- Two years after Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou's arrest in Canada, the Chinese Foreign Ministry once again urged Canada to release her, and condemned the Canadian and US governments' political conspiracy in targeting the Chinese company.
- China: Australia overreaction meant to deflect attention from Afghan atrocities Press TV 01 Dec 2020 -- The Chinese Embassy in Australia has dismissed as "overreaction" Canberra's rage over a recent tweet by a Chinese official showing a digitally-altered image of an Australian soldier holding a bloodied knife to the throat of an Afghan child.
- Hong Kong's i-Cable TV Fires Dozens of Its Best Journalists Radio Free Asia 01 Dec 2020 -- Managers at Hong Kong's i-Cable TV network announced they would be firing at least 40 journalists, editors, and production crew at the morning editorial meeting on Tuesday.
- Macao to study legislating national security supporting laws Global Times 01 Dec 2020 -- The Macao Special Administrative Region will study the optimization of the national security supporting laws, and consider bringing legislation soon, the Macao Secretary for Security said on Monday.
- China Recruits Mandarin Teachers Amid Ongoing Crackdown in Inner Mongolia Radio Free Asia 01 Dec 2020 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is mass recruiting secondary school teachers to work in the northern region of Inner Mongolia amid ongoing arrests, protests, and class boycotts at plans to phase out Mongolian-medium teaching in schools.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list