Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
23 November 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Shanghai reflects China's speed in fighting virus Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- After overnight nucleic acid tests on more than 17,700 people working in the Shanghai Pudong International Airport, the busy transportation hub where seven COVID-19 cases were found returned to normal on Monday.
- China pledges global vaccine cooperation amid unequal distribution fears Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- China said it will prioritize the strengthening of international cooperation on vaccine development, and make concrete efforts to promote equal distribution, as the Chinese leader has promised to make the vaccines accessible to developing countries on major diplomatic occasions, including the recent G20 summit.
- UPS and FedEx employees at Shanghai Pudong International Airport tested positive for COVID-19 Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- UPS and FedEx employees at Shanghai Pudong International Airport tested positive for COVID-19 after the airport tested 17,719 staff members since it initiated nucleic acid tests on Sunday for all staff, the local CDC reported on Monday night.
- Pudong cargo business not impacted by recently confirmed COVID-19 cases Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- At least seven new confirmed local COVID-19 cases all related to cargo operations in Shanghai Pudong International Airport during the last two weeks were reported, making the freight coming into the city (and its COVID-19 prevention measures) the main focus for the public as Shanghai plays an important role in international freight transportation.
- COVID-19 found in Shanghai highly similar to North American virus strain Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- The local COVID-19 case discovered on November 9 who worked at Pudong International Airport in Shanghai and his colleague who was confirmed the next day in Anhui Province were infected with a virus strain similar to that from North America, Shanghai authorities announced on Monday.
- Shanghai Pudong Airport starts testing all staff after COVID-19 cases discovered Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- Shanghai Pudong Airport started on Sunday night testing all staff after the airport found several cargo handlers and close contacts tested positive for the coronavirus over the past several days.
- Beijing reports 1 new imported COVID-19 case People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- One new imported COVID-19 case was reported in Beijing on Sunday, the municipal health commission said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- China's National Health Commission said Monday that it received reports of 11 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Sunday, including two domestically transmitted cases and nine imported ones.
- 12 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- The National Health Commission said Monday that 12 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Sunday.
- Shanghai reports 2 new confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, 1 new imported case People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- Shanghai reported two new confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases and one imported COVID-19 case on Sunday, the municipal health commission said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 11 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese mainland registered 11 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday, of which nine cases were from overseas, the National Health Commission announced on Monday.
- Tibetan Exile Political Leader Makes 'Landmark' First Visit to White House Radio Free Asia 23 Nov 2020 -- The head of Tibet's India-based exile government visited the White House last week for talks with administration officials in what is being called a 'landmark' development in U.S. policy regarding China's rule in the politically sensitive Himalayan region.
- Pangda village hyped by Indian media as in Bhutan is Chinese territory, satellite images, documents show Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- With some Indian media hyping a Chinese village two kilometers within Bhutanese territory, which is claimed to the first one to be noticed in the area since the Doklam standoff, Chinese experts on border issues and China-India relationship refuted the reports, with a satellite image showing the village inside Chinese territory.
- US Pledges Support for Manila on Counterterrorism, South China Sea Radio Free Asia 23 Nov 2020 -- Washington will "stand with" Manila against pro-Islamic State militants and help defend its interests in the South China Sea, American National Security Adviser Robert O'Brien pledged as he turned over missiles and other weapons valued at $18 million during a visit here Monday.
- Indonesian Navy to Move Combat Squad's HQ to Natuna Islands Radio Free Asia 23 Nov 2020 -- Indonesia's navy chief said Monday it would move its combat squad's headquarters to the Natuna Islands to protect Jakarta's territorial interests near the South China Sea, amid incursions in national waters by Chinese and Vietnamese fishing boats.
- Chinese Rocket Chang Zheng 5 for Lunar Mission Chang'e 5 Launched From Spaceport in Hainan Sputnik 23 Nov 2020 -- A Chinese heavy-lift Chang Zheng 5 launch vehicle with a Chang'e 5 return vehicle, which is planned to land on the Moon, collect samples of lunar soil, and return with them to Earth, was launched from the cosmodrome at Hainan, a Sputnik correspondent reported.
- China Launches Lunar Probe VOA 23 Nov 2020 -- China successfully launched an unmanned spacecraft to the moon Monday to land, gather soil and rock samples, and return them to Earth.
- China's Long March-5 rocket filled with propellant for launch PLA Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- A Long March-5 rocket began to be filled with liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen cryogenic propellant at about 6:30 p.m. (Beijing Time) Monday, said the China National Space Administration (CNSA).
- PLA Western Theater Command commissions more J-16 fighter jets: reports Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Western Theater Command is reportedly commissioning more J-16 aircraft, a type of powerful fighter jet capable of controlling air, sea and land, in a move to better safeguard China's territorial integrity in the country's western regions, analysts said on Monday.
- China's aircraft carrier Shandong holds year's 3rd voyage Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- The Shandong, China's first domestically developed aircraft carrier, the second in all, recently embarked on its third voyage of the year, after it was declared to have completed regular testing and training missions in late October.
- Foreigners suspected of destroying border military facilities arrested in Guangxi PLA Daily 23 Nov 2020 -- Border authorities in Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region have tightened border control recently and the border police have thus cracked eight cases of destroying border military facilities within a week, arresting 15 foreign suspects.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on November 23, 2020 PRC MofA 23 Nov 2020
- High-Level US Visit to Asia Seen as Locking In Trump's Tough China Policy VOA 23 Nov 2020 -- U.S. national security advisor Robert O'Brien is visiting Vietnam and the Philippines this month to help bulk up international resistance against Chinese maritime expansion, a sore spot between the superpowers, in ways that outlast President Donald Trump's term in office, analysts say.
- China opposes US potential move to restrict 89 Chinese firms from buying US goods Global Times 23 Nov 2020 -- China firmly opposes US wanton suppression of Chinese companies and the US actions violate the principle of market competition as well as international economic and trade rules, and harm the interests and image of the US, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said Monday.
- Three Hong Kong Democracy Activists Behind Bars in Police Protest Case Radio Free Asia 23 Nov 2020 -- Democracy activists Joshua Wong, Agnes Chow, and Ivan Lam on Monday pleaded guilty to public order charges in a Hong Kong court hearing, before being held in police custody pending a sentencing hearing scheduled for Dec. 2.
- 3 Hong Kong Prominent Pro-Democracy Activists in Custody VOA 23 Nov 2020 -- Three prominent pro-democracy activists were taken into custody Monday in Hong Kong after pleading guilty to charges related to a protest outside a police headquarters last June.
- China Obscures Probes Into Xinjiang Cotton Supply Chain Radio Free Asia 23 Nov 2020 -- Investigators looking for evidence of forced labor in clothing supply chains in the northwestern Chinese region of Xinjiang on behalf of global fashion companies are unable to mount effective investigations into what is happening on the ground, auditors, rights activists and a former detainee told RFA.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list