Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
21 November 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese border city to test all residents, close schools after reporting new local COVID-19 cases Global Times 21 Nov 2020 -- Starting Saturday, all transfer flight services via Hohhot, capital of North China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region, in Manzhouli airports have been suspended. Earlier in the day, two #COVID19 cases were reported in Manzhouli, a Chinese city bordering Mongolia and Russia.
- Shanghai hospital locked down after caregiver tests positive for coronavirus Global Times 21 Nov 2020 -- The Shanghai Pudong Hospital has suspended its outpatient and emergency services and has been locked down, after a caregiver was confirmed on Friday to have been infected with the coronavirus, Shanghai's health authority told a press conference on Saturday.
- Inner Mongolia reports 2 local transmitted COVID-19 cases, both in Manzhouli Global Times 21 Nov 2020 -- North China's Inner Mongolia reported two locally transmitted COVID-19 cases in the region's Manzhouli city on Saturday. Epidemiological investigation and screening work over close contacts are underway.
- Shanghai's recent COVID-19 cases show risk of imported cases in winter and spring Global Times 21 Nov 2020 -- The coronavirus will become a resident virus and it is very probable new outbreak peaks in the global pandemic will surface if each country does not take strong preventive measures, while the critical elements in the successful containment of the sporadic cases under the new normal are preciseness, swiftness, and measures in advance, Zhang Wenhong, a prominent Chinese infectious disease expert, pointed out after two new COVID-19 cases were confirmed in Shanghai on Friday.
- Hong Kong tightens social distancing measures on surging COVID-19 cases Global Times 21 Nov 2020 -- Hong Kong has moved to strengthen social distancing measures in response to a rebound in confirmed COVID-19 cases, with the chief executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) describing the situation as "fairly severe."
- Tianjin reports 5 new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Nov 2020 -- Five new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases were confirmed in north China's Tianjin Municipality on Friday, local authorities said Saturday.
- Chinese mainland reports 7 new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Nov 2020 -- China's National Health Commission said Saturday that it received reports of 16 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Friday, including seven domestically transmitted and nine imported.
- Shanghai reports two new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Nov 2020 -- Shanghai reported two new confirmed locally transmitted COVID-19 cases on Friday, local authorities said.
- China ready to increase global COVID-19 vaccine cooperation: Xi Press TV 21 Nov 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping says his country is ready to increase global COVID-19 vaccine cooperation, and calls for better international coordination on policies to facilitate the movement of people.
- Tibetan Government Leader Makes Historic White House Visit VOA 21 Nov 2020 -- The head of the Tibetan government in exile visited the White House on Friday, the first such meeting in 60 years and one that could draw the ire of Beijing.
- President of Self-Declared Tibetan Government Makes 'Historic' First White House Visit in 60 Years Sputnik 21 Nov 2020 -- Amid the ongoing US-China trade war and the relentless opposition from the Trump administration toward the Communist Party of China, the White House has accused Beijing of infringing on the rights of self-administrating and autonomous regions within China.
- Assault vehicles, drones assist border control troops in Tibet Global Times 21 Nov 2020 -- China's new-generation off-road assault vehicles, intelligent equipment have been commissioned to the People's Liberation Army (PLA) border defense troops stationed in Southwest China's Tibet Autonomous Region as cold weather descends on the region and border tensions remain high.
- US Optimistic Economic Sanctions Hurting Chinese Company in Cambodia VOA 21 Nov 2020 -- The U.S. Treasury Department says the economic sanctions imposed under the Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act on a Chinese development company operating in Cambodia and its Cambodian liaison are an "effective and appropriate tool" for improving human rights and democracy.
- China pushes for multilateralism, vaccine cooperation and WTO reforms at G20 Global Times 21 Nov 2020 -- China reiterated its determination to safeguard multilateralism and support WTO reforms during the Group of 20 (G20) summit's opening ceremony, while vowing to strengthen teamwork with overseas countries, such as in COVID-19 vaccine research and production, to combat the pandemic crisis.
- Remarks by the Spokesperson of the Chinese Embassy in the United States on the Joint Statement on Hong Kong by the Five Eyes Alliance Countries Global Times 21 Nov 2020 -- "The Foreign Ministers of Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom, and the Secretary of State of the United States issued a joint statement on Hong Kong, making irresponsible comments about the decision of the Standing Committee of China's National People's Congress on the eligibility of the Legislative Council members of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region."
- HK police detain 3 people for sponsoring secessionists, hampering national security Global Times 21 Nov 2020 -- The national security department of Hong Kong police on Saturday arrested three people accused of crowdfunding and sponsoring secessionist activities.
- Central gov't condemns foreign meddling in Hong Kong affairs People's Daily 21 Nov 2020 -- A Chinese central government spokesperson on Friday strongly condemned a statement by the so-called "Five Eyes" intelligence alliance for its unreasonable demand on reinstating the disqualified Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Legislative Council (LegCo) members.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list