Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
19 November 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Nearly 1 million receive vaccine developed by Sinopharm Global Times 19 Nov 2020 -- Chinese vaccine makers said that China's full-throttled development of COVID-19 vaccines remains in the lead among a roster of effective vaccines, although some Western media and politicians have questioned China for delays in releasing late-stage trial data after US drug makers Pfizer and Moderna's successes. The fact is, however, at least three out of five types of Chinese vaccines against the coronavirus have entered final stage trials, with the latest beginning phase-III trials in central China's Hunan Province on Thursday.
- What potential risks lay ahead for China's COVID-19 vaccine export? Global Times 19 Nov 2020 -- Brazil's sudden suspension of Chinese COVID-19 vaccine trials on November 9 raised concerns about obstacles China faces in exporting its vaccines. Although clinical trials of the vaccine soon resumed in Brazil, political wrangling behind multi-layered stakeholders and commercial interests in host countries pose increasing potential risks to Chinese vaccines' distribution abroad.
- Chinese vaccines also very effective: China's CDC director Global Times 19 Nov 2020 -- China's vaccines for COVID-19 are also very effective, Gao Fu, director of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), said in an online seminar on Thursday.
- Hong Kong loosens COVID-19 lockdown, exempts some returnees from 14-day quarantine Global Times 19 Nov 2020 -- Hong Kong started to loosen the COVID-19 lockdown for its citizens on Wednesday, months after the city began requiring all inbound people to undergo a 14-day quarantine in mid-March.
- Wuhan confirms coronavirus detected on Brazil-imported frozen beef Global Times 19 Nov 2020 -- The city of Wuhan, Central China's Hubei Province, detected on Wednesday the coronavirus on a package of frozen beef from Brazil which had been imported through a port in Tianjin, and had been distributed in the local market. No other positive tests for the virus have been reported.
- China to provide COVID-19 vaccines to Africa to support virus control: FM Global Times 19 Nov 2020 -- China supports the establishment of a free trade zone in Africa and will actively consider providing COVID-19 vaccines to African countries in need after the vaccine is developed and put into use, Chinese Foreign Ministry confirmed on Thursday, in response to a call by South African President Cyril Ramaphosa for support from the international community.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 19 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese mainland on Wednesday reported no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- China's Xinjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases for 11 days People's Daily 19 Nov 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases or asymptomatic cases were reported in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region on Wednesday, the regional health commission said Thursday.
- Wuhan finds COVID-19 on imported beef packaging People's Daily 19 Nov 2020 -- Authorities in Wuhan, capital of central China's Hubei Province, found that an imported frozen beef packaging sample tested positive for COVID-19, local health authorities said Wednesday.
- Tianjin reports one new asymptomatic COVID-19 case People's Daily 19 Nov 2020 -- North China's Tianjin Municipality reported one new asymptomatic COVID-19 case on Wednesday, local health authorities said.
- China Calls Canadian Intel Report Alleging Cyber Threat From Beijing, Moscow 'Absurd' Sputnik 19 Nov 2020 -- China has condemned a report by Canadian intelligence naming Beijing and Moscow as cybersecurity threats and claiming that state-sponsored actors are invested in developing cyber tools to disrupt the nation's electricity grid, Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian said on Thursday.
- 'The United States Stands With Tibet': US Special Coordinator for Tibet Radio Free Asia 19 Nov 2020 -- The State Department's new Special Coordinator for Tibet Issues on Thursday underscored U.S. support for fuller autonomy for Tibetan areas of China and for the preservation of Tibet's traditional culture and religion, telling youth leaders '"the United States stands with Tibet and with Tibetans."
- Z-20 to be China's most-delivered military helicopter, multiple variants expected Global Times 19 Nov 2020 -- China's latest commissioned and fully domestically made tactical utility helicopter, the Z-20, is expected to become the country's most-delivered chopper by entering service with not only the Chinese army, but also the nation's air, naval forces and armed police, with additional prospects of export sales, said the chief designer of the helicopter.
- US conducts ICBM interception test; 'tech won't work against advanced missiles' Global Times 19 Nov 2020 -- The US recently conducted an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) interception test with a missile launched from a warship. US media said on Wednesday the move could harm the mutual deterrence between major nuclear powers and force China and Russia to expand their capabilities.
- PLA makes breakthrough by drilling wells to draw water from permafrost in alpine areas Global Times 19 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army has successfully drilled wells to draw water from the permafrost in alpine areas at altitudes of more than 4,000 meters, allowing border troops to drink fresh water, and marking a breakthrough in constructions in permafrost.
- Unmanned helicopters fit for high-altitude combat aid China's Tibetan military command at the border with India Global Times 19 Nov 2020 -- The most cutting-edge Chinese self-produced unmanned helicopters were recently equipped to People's Liberation Army (PLA) Tibet Military Command troops at the border with India. The command had ordered smart weapons and customized equipment - from portable oxygen generators to a multi-purpose dining car - from 22 domestic manufactures, CCTV reported on November 3.
- PLA troops in Tibet successfully drill water well over 200 meters deep PLA Daily 19 Nov 2020 -- Recently, service members of a radar station assigned to a brigade of the PLA Air Force stationed in Tibet successfully drilled a well over 200 meters underground, ending their 57-year history of water supply shortage.
- Over 500 border defense posts connected to state power grid PLA Daily 19 Nov 2020 -- Through the joint efforts of the Logistic Support Department of the Central Military Commission (CMC) and the National Energy Administration (NEA), more than 500 frontier defense outposts of the PLA are connected to the national power grid after more than four years of efforts, according to the CMC Logistic Support Department. A safe and stable power supply is guaranteed at all times and all days. It indicates that the combat readiness training and support capabilities of China's border and coastal defense troops have been further improved.
- Xi: China welcomes cooperation with everyone People's Daily 19 Nov 2020 -- President Xi Jinping delivered a keynote speech at the APEC CEO Dialogues via video link in Beijing on Thursday. Here are some highlights.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on November 19, 2020 PRC MofA 19 Nov 2020
- US document depicting China as threat doomed to end up in dustbin of history: FM Global Times 19 Nov 2020 -- A recent document released by the US State Department's Office of Policy Planning depicting China as a threat is another collection of anti-China lies concocted by some "living fossils of the Cold War," and is doomed to end up "being consigned to the dustbin of history," a spokesperson of the Chinese Foreign Ministry said Thursday.
- Beijing Hopes US to Get More Rational About China's Development, Foreign Minister Said Sputnik 19 Nov 2020 -- Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Thursday his country expects the United States to change its stance on China's pursuit of development, taking a more objective and rational approach.
- Aussie provocation 'root cause' of frosty China ties, new US govt's China policy 'will determine Canberra's stance' Global Times 19 Nov 2020 -- After Australia's erroneous China policy deteriorated ties with China, the Australian prime minister's denial that Australia acted at the behest of the US in crafting its foreign policy is not convincing, as Chinese experts pointed out that Australia's China policy is the result of consultations with the US and division of labor and collusion with the US to contain China.
- Australia should squarely face crux of current setback: Chinese FM Global Times 19 Nov 2020 -- China is firmly opposed to Australia's action of undermining the interests of other countries under the pretext of safeguarding its own national interests, Chinese Foreign Minister spokesperson Zhao Lijian warned Thursday following Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison's statement that Australia will not change its policies.
- China to accelerate establishing laws on foreign parties to counter suppression during globalization Global Times 19 Nov 2020 -- China has vowed to accelerate the establishment of laws on matters involving foreign parties amid the US' suppression on Chinese companies and Western countries' smearing of China during the COVID-19 pandemic, which experts said is a necessary and helpful move to better protect the interests of China and Chinese companies during globalization.
- 'Five Eyes' could be poked blind if China's sovereignty and security harmed, warns Chinese FM spokesperson Global Times 19 Nov 2020 -- Rebutting the Five Eyes' joint statement stigmatizing the recent decision by China's top legislature to disqualify four unpatriotic lawmakers of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian expressed strong dissatisfaction and firm opposition to repeated external interference in China's internal affairs, warning the Five Eyes alliance not to harm China's sovereignty and security.
- Foreign forces meddling in HK affairs 'doomed to failure': Chinese FM on Five Eyes' statement Global Times 19 Nov 2020 -- Foreign forces meddling in Hong Kong affairs are "doomed to failure," said the Chinese Foreign Ministry, condemning the Five Eyes Alliance's announcement stigmatizing China's top legislature's decision to disqualify four unpatriotic Hong Kong lawmakers, and urged the countries to stop their double standards.
- Hong Kong Police Breaking Rights Law With Complaints System, Lack of ID: Court Radio Free Asia 19 Nov 2020 -- Hong Kong's High Court ruled on Thursday that the city's police force is in breach of human rights protections by refusing to allow an independent body to examine complaints against officers.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list