Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
16 November 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Was Wuhan outbreak caused by imported frozen products? Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- The latest discoveries of novel coronavirus-contaminated imported frozen food have rekindled suspicions among residents and experts that the coronavirus found in Wuhan's Huanan seafood market, to which the first batch of patients reported in China was related, could also be imported.
- COVID-19 detected in Shaanxi from packaging of imported pork from Argentina, Chile Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- A total of 13,667 kilograms of frozen pork imports have been sold to Yanliang district and other places in Xi'an of Northwest China's Shaanxi Province, Dali County of Weinan city in Shaanxi said in a Monday announcement after Yanliang district reported that the packaging of one imported pork product in the district tested positive for COVID-19 on Sunday.
- COVID-19 detected in Shaanxi from packaging of imported pork from Argentina, Chile Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- Xiamen, East China's Fujian Province, on Sunday detected the COVID-19 virus on one outer packaging of 25 tons of frozen pork imported from France. The pork entered China from Shanghai and has not been sold in markets.
- Beijing to upgrade fever clinics to bolster COVID-19 defense People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese capital Beijing will upgrade 17 fever clinics before the end of November, in an effort to strengthen the city's capacity to prevent and control COVID-19 in the coming winter and spring, local authorities said.
- China's Xiamen finds coronavirus on imported pork packaging People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- A packaging sample of imported frozen pork tested positive for COVID-19 in the city of Xiamen, east China's Fujian Province, local authorities said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese mainland on Sunday reported no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- China's Xinjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases for 8 days People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases or asymptomatic cases were reported in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region on Sunday, the regional health commission said Monday.
- China's Xinjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases or asymptomatic cases were reported in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region on Saturday, the regional health commission said on Sunday.
- East China city finds coronavirus on imported packaging People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- A packaging sample of imported frozen aquatic products tested positive for COVID-19 on Saturday in Sishui County, east China's Shandong Province, local authorities said on Sunday.
- Why China and a Bloc of Nations Led by Vietnam Just Met but Ignored Asia's Biggest Maritime Dispute VOA 16 Nov 2020 -- China and leaders from 10 Southeast Asian countries who held annual summits this month sidestepped a sticky maritime sovereignty question to focus on trade and COVID-19, signaling a tough year ahead for the rival nations, experts believe.
- China Inks Regional Trade Deal With Asia-Pacific Countries Radio Free Asia 16 Nov 2020 -- China has inked a trade agreement with 14 other countries, hailing the move as a "victory for multilateralism and free trade."
- Signing of Blockbuster Asia-Pacific Trade Deal Draws Praise, Warnings Radio Free Asia 16 Nov 2020 -- Leaders from 15 Asia-Pacific nations are hailing the signing of the world's biggest trade deal as a step toward regional economic integration, yet economists and labor activists warn it may not bring prosperity to everyone.
- Milestone RCEP to energize Asia-Pacific cooperation, facilitate global post-pandemic recovery People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- Eight years after its inception, a mega free trade agreement involving 15 countries in the Asia-Pacific region was formally signed on Sunday, a timely and inspiring move that will not only create new momentum for regional cooperation but facilitate global post-pandemic economic recovery.
- US should abide by one-China principle, not unilateral documents on Taiwan island: FM Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- The one-China principle is the basis of China-US diplomatic relations, and the US should abide by it and the three China-US joint communiquÃ©s, cease official and military contact with the island of Taiwan, as well as other words and actions that disrupt the peace and stability in the Taiwan Straits, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
- Taiwan faces Asia-Pacific isolation after RCEP exclusion Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- Taiwan-based politicians and pundits believe that failure to join the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP), the world's biggest free trade agreement, will deal a heavy blow to the already sluggish economy of the island of Taiwan, a result experts pointed out will further isolate the pro-secessionist Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) and help accelerate the reunification process.
- WHO Again Under Scrutiny for China Influence VOA 16 Nov 2020 -- Last week the World Health Organization hosted its annual summit known as the World Health Assembly to outline new policies and priorities, but a controversy involving Taiwan ended up also drawing renewed attention on how Beijing's politics continue to influence the WHO.
- Norwegian Supreme Court rejects appeal in Taiwanese nationality suit CNA 16 Nov 2020 -- The Supreme Court of Norway recently rejected an appeal made by a group of Taiwanese living in the country after losing a lawsuit earlier this year in a lower court that accused the Norwegian government of improperly changing the nationality on their residency permits from "Taiwanese"to "Chinese."
- The China Initiative: Year-in-Review (2019-20) US Dept. of Justice 16 Nov 2020 -- On the two-year anniversary of the Attorney General's China Initiative, the Department continues its significant focus on the Initiative's goals and announced substantial progress during the past year in disrupting and deterring the wide range of national security threats posed by the policies and practices of the People's Republic of China (PRC) government.
- Insulated cabins help sustain PLA border troops Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- Since the deployment, about a month ago, of the newly developed, self-powered dismountable insulated cabins along the borders in the high-altitude region in Northwest China amid the prolonged border tensions between China and India, the living conditions and combat capability of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) border defense troops have been greatly enhanced as the region entered winter.
- PLA to hold two simultaneous exercises in South China Sea Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) will hold two simultaneous exercises in the South China Sea on Tuesday, and one of them could feature amphibious landing drills, reports said on Monday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on November 16, 2020 PRC MofA 16 Nov 2020
- Trump Set to Take More Harsh Steps Against China Soon, Report Says Sputnik 16 Nov 2020 -- By doing so, Trump is reportedly trying to make it complicated for the projected Biden administration to change the US' policy on Beijing, which is being justified as an adequate response to what Washington calls "aggressive" policies by China in the Indo-Pacific region.
- Beijing prepared for Trump's final madness, hysteria on China policy Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- China has been prepared for a "final act of the madness" from the Trump administration and its staged hysteria on China-related issues, as it is highly likely that the incumbent US president will take much more extreme measures on issues such as the South China Sea, the island of Taiwan and China's high tech sector, the moves which are also seen as "setting obstacles" for Biden in his foreign policies, experts said.
- China Condemns US Ban of Chinese Military-Linked Stocks, Decries Unfair Competition Sputnik 16 Nov 2020 -- China is opposed to the pressure exerted by the United States on Chinese companies by cutting US investments under the pretext of national security, the Chinese Ministry of Commerce said in a statement on Monday.
- China urges US to stop crackdown on Chinese firms in response to its ban on investment in 31 Chinese companies Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- Disregarding the facts, US considers relevant Chinese enterprises as being military-controlled, which lacks evidence and is against legal principles. China is firmly opposed to the practice: spokesperson of Chinese Ministry of Commerce on Monday
- Chinese FM urges Canada's UN envoy to 'do homework' before making Uygur persecution accusations Global Times 16 Nov 2020 -- A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson called on Canada's ambassador to the United Nations (UN) to do his homework before accusing China of persecuting Uygurs in the Xinjiang region to avoid making himself a laughingstock.
- China brings back 7,831 graft fugitives People's Daily 16 Nov 2020 -- China's anti-graft authorities have brought back 7,831 fugitives on suspicion of corruption offenses from overseas from 2014 to June 2020.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list