Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
10 November 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Brazil Pauses Late-Stage Trials of Experimental COVID-19 Vaccine VOA 10 Nov 2020 -- Just hours after news of a breakthrough in the effort to develop a safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine, Brazil has halted late-stage clinical trials of another potential vaccine.
- Brazilian politics, US pressure likely behind Chinese vaccine's suspension: experts Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry, the Chinese vaccine producer and a Brazilian institute clarified that Brazilian health regulator's decision to halt trials of a Chinese-produced COVID-19 vaccine in Brazil is not related to the vaccine itself, after foreign media said the suspension came following a "severe adverse event."
- Brazil's suspension of Chinese-produced vaccine trial not related to vaccine itself: FM Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry said Tuesday that Brazil's health regulator's decision to halt trials of a Chinese-produced COVID-19 vaccine in Brazil is not related to the vaccine itself, after foreign media said the suspension came following a "severe adverse event."
- China unlikely to face second onslaught of COVID-19, despite flare-ups and winter: epidemiologists Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- Sporadic COVID-19 flare-ups in Chinese cities will not lead to a higher possibility of larger-scale outbreaks as winter approaches, said Chinese epidemiologists, after confirmed cases emerged in two Chinese cities in succession. However, experts urged countries where coronavirus is rife to strengthen checks on their goods, as cold weather provides a more suitable living environment for the virus, and many Western countries are again facing an onslaught of COVID-19.
- Beijing to strictly manage travelers from medium- and high-risk areas amid Tianjin and Shanghai's anti-epidemic battle Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- Beijing has reported no new confirmed local COVID-19 cases for 95 consecutive days as of Monday, which stressed the need to strictly manage and control travelers from medium- and high-risk areas, after Tianjin and Shanghai reported several confirmed cases and raised the emergency alert in certain areas in the past few days.
- Update: Tianjin finds another silent carrier, a dockworker in cold-chain industry Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- North China's Tianjin Municipality found another asymptomatic carrier on Tuesday who works as a dockworker of cold-chain industry in one of Tianjin's ports, local official said.
- Tibet, Hainan cities require negative COVID-19 test results for Shanghai Pudong visitors Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- Several Chinese cities, including those in the southwestern Tibet Autonomous Region and southern Hainan Province, told the Global Times on Tuesday that they have started to ask visitors arriving from Pudong New Area of Shanghai for negative COVID-19 nucleic acid test results taken within seven days, shortly after the area reported a local coronavirus case on Monday.
- E China's Anhui Province reports a COVID-19 case, a close contact of the Shanghai case Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- Yingshang County in Fuyang, East China's Anhui Province, reported a confirmed case of COVID-19 on Tuesday, Fuyang authority announced. The patient is a close contact of the case reported in Pudong New Area, Shanghai, on Monday.
- Hong Kong to extend social distancing measures for 7 days Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- Matthew Cheung, Acting Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR), said on Tuesday that in view of the latest COVID-19 situation, the existing social distancing measures due to expire on Thursday will be extended for another seven days.
- Macao to lift entry ban on foreigners arriving from Chinese mainland Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- Macao will allow foreigners coming from the Chinese mainland to enter the special administrative region (SAR) starting from Dec. 1, the SAR's pandemic response center said here on Monday.
- Coronavirus in Tianjin similar to virus strain in North America Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- The COVID-19 strain taken from samples of the confirmed case found in North China's Tianjin shares a high similarity with the virus strain that was prevalent in North America from March to June, the Tianjin government said on Tuesday after analyzing the gene sequence.
- East China's Anhui Province reports one COVID-19 case People's Daily 10 Nov 2020 -- The city of Fuyang in east China's Anhui Province on Tuesday reported a new COVID-19 case related to a confirmed case in Shanghai, the local epidemic response headquarters said.
- Chinese mainland reports 1 new locally transmitted COVID-19 case People's Daily 10 Nov 2020 -- China's National Health Commission said Tuesday that it received reports of 22 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Monday, including one that was domestically transmitted and 21 imported cases.
- Israel says visitors from China need no self-quarantine People's Daily 10 Nov 2020 -- Israeli authorities on Monday announced people arriving from China will no longer be required to stay in self-quarantine.
- Fosun hopes its '90% effective,' jointly-developed COVID-19 vaccine will be available in China ASAP Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- A COVID-19 vaccine candidate developed by Chinese conglomerate Fosun in collaboration with foreign partners Pfizer and BioNTech is "90 percent effective," Fosun chairman Guo Guangchang said Monday, raising hopes the company's coronavirus vaccine will soon be available in China.
- Two Tianjin regions classified as COVID-19 medium-risk areas People's Daily 10 Nov 2020 -- Two regions in north China's Tianjin Municipality will be classified as medium-risk areas for COVID-19 starting from Tuesday, the municipal health commission said on Monday.
- Why US Wants to Send Coast Guard to the Seas Near China VOA 10 Nov 2020 -- A U.S. plan to steer Coast Guard vessels toward waters frequented by Chinese vessels will bulk up Washington's resolve to contain Beijing's maritime expansion without inviting a hot conflict, analysts believe.
- US and Chinese Armies Conduct Virtual Collaboration on HA/DR Army News 10 Nov 2020 -- Soldiers from U.S. Army Pacific (USARPAC) and the People's Republic of China (PRC) People's Liberation Army (PLA) will participate in a virtual Disaster Management Exchange (DME) from Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, Nov. 10-12.
- Photos: China May Have New Anti-Radar Missile for Suppressing Enemy Air Defenses Sputnik 10 Nov 2020 -- Photos recently posted on social media from a People's Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) recruitment video seem to show a new anti-radiation missile under the wings of a J-11BS fighter jet, signaling that China may have a potent new weapon for hunting enemy radars.
- SCO members to be 'more united in post-Trump era' Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and Russian President Vladimir Putin on Tuesday attended a virtual meeting of the Council of Heads of State of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) via video link hosted by Russia, which holds the rotating SCO presidency this year.
- President Xi emphasizes multilateralism, joint efforts among SCO countries amid COVID-19 Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- China's top leader emphasized that the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) member countries should adhere to multilateralism amid the COVID-19 pandemic, shedding light on the joint efforts needed to safeguard the international order, suggesting that China will actively consider the COVID-19 vaccine needs of SCO member countries.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on November 10, 2020 PRC MofA 10 Nov 2020
- Contenders for key posts in Biden's cabinet hint tougher stance on China: experts Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- After Democrat Joe Biden was declared victory for the US presidential election on Saturday night, US media have presented lists of contenders for the new cabinet in recent days and Chinese experts said that the candidates for key posts which would greatly influence the China-US ties under the new administration hint a tougher stance on pressuring China with varied and flexible tactics if Biden is officially confirmed as the new president.
- China follows international conventions to engage with incoming US administration Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- While some world leaders rush to congratulate Democrat Joe Biden on his victory in the presidential election, China is sticking to its long-standing tradition of reaching out to the incoming administration and may wait until the election result is confirmed, in a move, experts say, out of respect for international norms and the US.
- Hong Kong suspends fugitive offender agreement with Netherlands, Ireland Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- The HKSAR govt announced it would suspend the fugitive offenders agreement and mutual legal assistance on criminal matters between the SAR, the Netherlands and Ireland, in opposition to the their interference in China's internal affairs regarding the National Security Law.
- HK officials shrug off US sanctions, vow to continue protecting national security Global Times 10 Nov 2020 -- The US has imposed sanctions on four more Chinese officials in the Chinese mainland and the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) over the Hong Kong issue, which Hong Kong Chief Secretary called "barbaric." The sanctioned officials shrugged off the sanctions, and pledged to continue to safeguard the security of Hong Kong in the future.
- China decries US 'barbaric' interference over Hong Kong sanctions Press TV 10 Nov 2020 -- China has decried the United States for "barbaric" interference in the internal affairs of Hong Kong, after Washington imposed new sanctions on four more Chinese officials over the national security law enacted in the semi-autonomous city.
- Hong Kong Journalist Says Her Arrest Isn't Just a Personal Matter Radio Free Asia 10 Nov 2020 -- An investigative journalist arrested by Hong Kong police after she made a documentary exposing their handling of the July 21, 2019 mob attacks on train passengers in Yuen Long has been released on bail, pending a further court hearing in January.
- Uyghur Businessman Faces Deportation to Xinjiang by Saudi Authorities Radio Free Asia 10 Nov 2020 -- A Uyghur businessman who is a legal resident of Turkey and recently became stranded in Saudi Arabia because of coronavirus travel restrictions is being hunted by Saudi authorities for deportation to China, where he faces persecution, he told RFA's Uyghur Service.
- China Jails Activist Who Helped Huang Qi's Mother For 'Terrorism' Radio Free Asia 10 Nov 2020 -- A court in the Chinese capital has handed down a three-and-a-half year jail term to a veteran rights activist after finding him guilty of "terrorism."
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list