Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
30 October 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- 2nd national outbreak unlikely in China: top experts Global Times 30 Oct 2020 -- The second global COVID-19 outbreak has begun as some European cities enter lockdowns again, and the US has reported tens of thousands of new cases a day, China's top respiratory expert Zhong Nanshan said Friday, warning that the situation may continue to worsen as the weather gets colder in the northern hemisphere.
- Three Chinese military planes enter Taiwan's ADIZ CNA 30 Oct 2020 -- Three Chinese military aircraft entered the southwestern part of Taiwan's air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Friday, the 29th such maneuver since mid-September, according to Taiwan's defense ministry.
- PLA capable of, determined in safeguarding national sovereignty, territorial integrity: spokesperson People's Daily 30 Oct 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has always been capable of and determined in safeguarding national sovereignty and territorial integrity, as well as defeating separatist forces seeking "Taiwan independence" in any form, said a military spokesperson on Thursday.
- China to accelerate national defense, military modernization People's Daily 30 Oct 2020 -- China will accelerate the modernization of national defense and the military, according to the communique of the fifth plenary session of the 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China released Thursday.
- China, US hold military talks for crisis communication; 'October Surprise' a rumor: Chinese MOD Global Times 30 Oct 2020 -- With the situation in the West Pacific remaining tense due to the increasing US military provocations against China in recent months, the Chinese Defense Ministry said on Thursday that the US Department of Defense has communicated with China and will make more communication and cooperation to ease tensions and avoid conflict.
- China to upgrade security guarantee for development in new plan Global Times 30 Oct 2020 -- China will further upgrade the protection of its national security by incorporating "security and development" in all aspects and process of the country's development, and accelerate the modernization of its military to build a prosperous country and a strong military in the coming years, according to the communiquÃ© of the fifth plenary session of the 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC).
- China sticks to opening despite self-reliance push Global Times 30 Oct 2020 -- Chinese officials reiterated Friday that the country's long-standing opening-up policy will remain intact, although it would adopt new development strategies that put heavy emphasis on boosting the domestic market and pursuing indigenous innovation in the next five to 15 years.
- Xi addresses CPC symposium with non-Party members on drafting development proposals PLA Daily 30 Oct 2020 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, made an important speech at a symposium the Party leadership held to solicit opinions from non-Party members on drafting proposals to formulate a blueprint for China's economic and social development.
- Key CPC session draws 15-year roadmap for China's modernization PLA Daily 30 Oct 2020 -- The Communist Party of China (CPC) has charted the course for China's development in the next 15 years to guide the country's march towards modernization.
- CPC vows to grasp opportunities amid major strategic devt period Global Times 30 Oct 2020 -- The Communist Party of China (CPC) vowed to grasp new opportunities as the country is in a major strategic development period, although both opportunities and challenges the country faces have changed, reads the communique of the fifth plenary session of the 19th CPC Central Committee released on Thursday.
- Communique of 5th plenary session of 19th CPC Central Committee released People's Daily 30 Oct 2020 -- The communique of the fifth plenary session of the 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) was released on Thursday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on October 30, 2020 PRC MofA 30 Oct 2020
- China urges US to stop persecuting Chinese citizens Global Times 30 Oct 2020 -- Is the US really upholding the spirit of the rule of law, Chinese Foreign Ministry asked Friday, after a series of events that show how American law-enforcement agencies could be easily manipulated by political agenda, and take on Chinese cases just to complete a quota.
- Beijing Says China Ready to Work With US Partners on Improving Bilateral Relations Sputnik 30 Oct 2020 -- China is ready to work with the United States on restoring stability and cooperation if Washington is willing to be more objective concerning their bilateral relations, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said at a briefing on Friday.
- Pompeo Wraps 5-Nation Asia Visit in Vietnam, with Recurring Anti-China Theme VOA 30 Oct 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo wrapped up a five-nation visit of Asia in Vietnam Friday, repeating the theme that the U.S. is against China's encroachment on sovereign nations of Southeast Asia, Asia and the Indo-Pacific regions.
- China urges U.S. to stop concocting lies, undermining ties People's Daily 30 Oct 2020 -- China on Thursday urged some senior U.S. officials to stop concocting lies and undermining the relations between the two countries.
- Hong Kong National Security Hotline Will Sow Fear, Social Division: Activists Radio Free Asia 30 Oct 2020 -- Hong Kong's national security police are planning a hotline that will encourage the city's seven million residents to inform on alleged breaches of a draconian new law that criminalizes peaceful criticism of the authorities.
- Interview: 'Grassroots Participation in Democracy is Crucial,' Says Veteran Hong Kong Activist Radio Free Asia 30 Oct 2020 -- On April 24, 2019, a court in Hong Kong handed down jail terms to four pro-democracy activists accused of "inciting" the 2014 Occupy Central movement, after finding them guilty of public order charges. Movement co-founders Benny Tai and Chan Kin-man were both sentenced to 16 months' imprisonment by the West Kowloon District Court for "conspiracy to cause a public nuisance," while fellow movement leader Chu Yiu-ming, 75, and Civic Party lawmaker Tanya Chan were given suspended prison terms owing to poor health.
- Two More Ethnic Kazakhs From Xinjiang Given Temporary Refugee Status In Kazakhstan RFE/RL 30 Oct 2020 -- Two more ethnic Kazakhs from China's northwestern Xinjiang region who illegally crossed the border have obtained temporary refugee status in Kazakhstan.
- Activists Hail Canadian Parliamentary Committee Report on Uighur 'Genocide' VOA 30 Oct 2020 -- After the Canadian parliamentary Subcommittee on International Human Rights concluded last week that China's treatment of the Uighurs in the Xinjiang region amounts to genocide, some experts and international human rights activists say the international community could be entering a new phase of action to hold officials in Beijing accountable.
- China Now Has The Ability to Track Internet Users Who 'Scale The Wall' Radio Free Asia 30 Oct 2020 -- Authorities in the eastern Chinese province of Zhejiang recently detained and warned an internet user after they were detected using a circumvention tool to read information on Wikipedia, which lies outside China's complex network of blocks, filters, and human censorship known as the Great Firewall.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list