Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
29 October 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- COVID-19 patients in Kashi will move to Urumqi hospital for better treatment Global Times 29 Oct 2020 -- COVID-19 patients identified in Kashi, Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region will be transferred to the regional capital city Urumqi for more professional treatment, a Xinjiang-based expert told the Global Times on Thursday.
- Man tests positive for coronavirus 19 days after returning to China from oversea Global Times 29 Oct 2020 -- A 43-year-old man in Puyang of Central China's Henan Province tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday, 19 days after returning to China from Guinea, the local health authority announced on Thursday. He was diagnosed as an asymptomatic patient on Wednesday.
- COVID-19 likely spread by cold-chain products People's Daily 29 Oct 2020 -- Chinese scientists have discovered that the COVID-19 outbreak in Beijing in June was likely to have been triggered by cold-chain imports from overseas, adding to mounting evidence that the virus can be transmitted from contaminated cold-chain products to humans.
- Chinese mainland reports 47 new confirmed COVID-19 cases, including 23 in Xinjiang People's Daily 29 Oct 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Thursday that it received reports of 47 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Wednesday, including 23 that were domestically transmitted and 24 imported.
- Vietnam Cracks Down on Growing Wave of Migrant Workers From China Radio Free Asia 29 Oct 2020 -- Vietnamese authorities say they are cracking down on a growing number of migrants crossing the border illegally from neighboring China, in an apparent reversal of previous trends.
- China's Panchen Lama Tours Tibet to Push CCP Agenda, 'Sinification' of Buddhism Radio Free Asia 29 Oct 2020 -- A Tibetan Buddhist leader appointed by China left his home in Beijing recently for a three-month tour of Tibet, joining in religious rituals and visiting monasteries in a bid to push the political agenda of the ruling Chinese Communist Party and raise his personal profile, state media and other sources said.
- Chinese Energy Company, U.S. Oil & Gas Affiliate and Chinese National Indicted for Theft of Trade Secrets US Dept. of Justice 29 Oct 2020 -- A federal grand jury has returned an indictment alleging corporate entities conspired to steal technology from a Houston-area oil & gas manufacturer, announced U.S. Attorney Ryan K. Patrick and Assistant Attorney General John C. Demers of the Department of Justice's National Security Division.
- U.S. Department of Defense Hosts First Crisis Communications Working Group With the People's Republic of China People's Liberation Army DoD 29 Oct 2020 -- On October 28 and 29, 2020, U.S. and Chinese defense officials convened the first Crisis Communications Working Group by video teleconference to discuss concepts of crisis communications, crisis prevention, and crisis management.
- Chinese MOD announces military interaction with US 'aims to cool down tensions' Global Times 29 Oct 2020 -- The Chinese Defense Ministry said on Thursday that the militaries of China and the US were currently holding a virtual meeting for crisis communication, and more exchanges and consultations on issues including maritime military security will be held by the year end.
- PLA Tibet command conducts ultra-limit range live fire drills for new equipment Global Times 29 Oct 2020 -- A brigade of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Tibet Military Command has carried out ultra-limit range live fire drills of multiple types of artillery in an area at an altitude of 4,400 meters to test new equipment at extreme ranges in plateau conditions.
- China-US military exchange activities continue: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 29 Oct 2020 -- The China-US military relationship plays an important role in the bilateral relations. It is in both sides' interests to maintain the stability of the China-US military relationship, which requires joint efforts, said Senior Colonel Wu Qian, a spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of National Defense (MND), at the regular press conference in Beijing on Thursday.
- No "October Surprise" and urge US to stop provocations: defense spokesman PLA Daily 29 Oct 2020 -- The US should walk with China toward the same goal instead of continuing provocations in sea and air spaces around China, said Senior Colonel Wu Qian, a spokesperson for the Ministry of National Defense (MND) of China, at a regular MND press conference in Beijing on October 29, 2020.
- High-tech serves to improve border troops' training and living conditions: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 29 Oct 2020 -- Senior Colonel Wu Qian, a spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense (MND)ï¼introduced more details on the improvement of border defense troops' training and living conditions on plateau by the high-tech applications at the regular press conference in Beijing on October 29.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on October 29, 2020 PRC MofA 29 Oct 2020
- US poisons China's international anti-graft efforts Global Times 29 Oct 2020 -- As US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo goes on an anti-China roadshow in South and Southeast Asian countries, the US has also stepped up efforts on US soil by abruptly charging eight people with "involvement in China's Fox Hunt anti-graft campaign," smearing it as an operation that targets dissidents and critics of Chinese leaders rather than economic crime suspects.
- US slander of China's united front work aims to 'discredit China's political system': FM Global Times 29 Oct 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's recent remarks on China's united front work are lies and malicious slander whose real intention is to discredit China's political system, Chinese Foreign Ministry said Thursday in response to US' recent accusations of China "spreading influence and propaganda overseas."
- During Visit to Indonesia, Top US Diplomat Targets China in Fresh Diatribe Radio Free Asia 29 Oct 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo launched a fresh diatribe against Beijing on Thursday, criticizing the Asian superpower over its persecution of Uyghur Muslims and military expansionism in the South China Sea, as he visited Indonesia as part of a regional tour.
- Pompeo Says China 'Gravest Threat to Future of Religious Freedom' VOA 29 Oct 2020 -- U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday described Communist-run China as "the gravest threat to the future of religious freedom," during a visit to Indonesia.
- Communique of 5th plenary session of 19th CPC Central Committee released PLA Daily 29 Oct 2020 -- The communique of the fifth plenary session of the 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) was released on Thursday.
- China sets 'pragmatic' targets through 2035 Global Times 29 Oct 2020 -- With decisive progress in the past five years and a strategic victory against the COVID-19, top leadership of the Communist Part of China (CPC) on Thursday unveiled a steady and bright picture for the country's future, as it sets sweeping social and economic development goals for the next five to 15 years that aim to build the world's most populous nation into a modern socialist power in the economic, technological and other fields by 2035.
- China to build powerful domestic market, modernize industry chain in next five years: CPC 5th plenum Global Times 29 Oct 2020 -- China set its goals for economic and social development in the 14th Five-Year Plan (2021-25) on Thursday, including realizing healthy and continuous economic development; enhancing the country's response to public emergencies; and enhancing progress on national defense and modernization of the country's army.
- China to be a 'moderately developed' economy by 2035: CPC plenum Global Times 29 Oct 2020 -- China is aiming to become a moderately developed economy by 2035, with "big leaps" in a wide range of areas from economic strength and technological prowess to overall national capability, according to the communiquÃ© of the fifth plenary session of the 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC).
- HK secessionist Tony Chung denied bail, charged with secession Global Times 29 Oct 2020 -- The former leader of Hong Kong pro-secession group Studentlocalism Tony Chung Hon-lam, who has been charged with secession and money laundering, was denied bail by a Hong Kong court on Thursday, local media reported.
- Hong Kong Police Charge Pro-Independence Activist Tony Chung With 'Secession' Radio Free Asia 29 Oct 2020 -- Authorities in Hong Kong have charged 19-year-old pro-independence activist Tony Chung with "secession" under a draconian national security law that took effect in the city on July 1.
- Arrest and Detention of Student Democracy Activists in Hong Kong Under the National Security Law US Dept. of State 29 Oct 2020 -- The United States strongly condemns the arrest and detention of three student democracy activists and calls on Hong Kong authorities to release those that remain detained immediately.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list