Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
27 October 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Oct 2020 -- No new locally-transmitted confirmed cases of COVID-19 were reported Monday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- China's Xinjiang reports 26 new asymptomatic COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Oct 2020 -- Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region identified 26 new asymptomatic cases of COVID-19 between 4 p.m. Sunday and 4 p.m. Monday, a local health official said at a press conference on Monday.
- More evidence shows cold-chain imports behind recent COVID-19 cases in China Global Times 27 Oct 2020 -- Mounting evidence and studies point to imported cold-chain products as the source of COVID-19 flare-ups in the Chinese cities of Beijing and Qingdao, a finding that one Chinese virologist said may help solve the puzzle of the coronavirus origin.
- Kashi reports 5 new confirmed, 19 new asymptomatic COVID-19 cases Global Times 27 Oct 2020 -- A total of 5 new confirmed cases and 19 new asymptomatic cases of the novel coronavirus were reported in the city of Kashi in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region as of Tuesday afternoon, the local health authority said.
- China Strikes Deal With Fellow Mekong River Countries for Year-Round Data VOA 27 Oct 2020 -- China last week agreed to share year-round data from the upper Mekong River with downstream countries, where its dams are being blamed for muting the natural rhythms of one of Asia's great waterways and adding to the pain of recent droughts.
- Experts Question China's Claim of 'Victory' in Anti-Poverty Drive in Tibet Radio Free Asia 27 Oct 2020 -- China's campaign to eradicate "absolute poverty" in Tibetan areas of China has been pushed at the expense of Tibetans' national and cultural identity, eroding minority language rights and forcing thousands of herders into bleak resettlement towns far from traditional grazing land, experts say.
- Chinese electronic warfare aircraft enters Taiwan's ADIZ CNA 27 Oct 2020 -- A Chinese military electronic warfare aircraft entered Taiwan's southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Tuesday, the 17th day such an incursion has occurred in October alone, according to the Ministry of National Defense (MND).
- Coastal missiles will boost asymmetrical warfare ability: experts CNA 27 Oct 2020 -- A proposed coastal defense missile system sale approved by the U.S. Monday will be complementary to the nation's existing anti-ship missile system and boost Taiwan's asymmetrical warfare capabilities, local military experts said Tuesday.
- US arms sales to Taiwan 'offensive, but useless' Global Times 27 Oct 2020 -- The US has announced plans for a new round of arms sales to arm the secessionist Taiwan authorities with offensive Harpoon missiles that can attack the Chinese mainland, shortly after the Chinese central government announced on Monday sanctions against US military industrial firms and individuals involved in the arms sales to Taiwan.
- China warns of measures to uphold sovereignty over US arms sales to Taiwan Press TV 27 Oct 2020 -- China has again called on the United States to halt its weapons sales to Taiwan, reiterating that it will take all the measures necessary to uphold its sovereignty and security interests.
- China to impose sanctions on U.S. firms, individuals, entities over Taiwan arms sales People's Daily 27 Oct 2020 -- A foreign ministry spokesperson said on Monday China has decided to impose sanctions on relevant U.S. enterprises involved in the latest arms sales to Taiwan as well as individuals and entities playing a "vile role" in the process, as "necessary steps" to protect its national interests.
- U.S. announces sale of coastal defense systems to Taiwan CNA 27 Oct 2020 -- The United States government announced Monday that it has approved a possible sale to Taiwan of up to 100 Harpoon Coastal Defense Systems (HCDS) and related equipment for approximately US$2.37 billion.
- China launches new remote-sensing satellites People's Daily 27 Oct 2020 -- China successfully sent a group of new remote-sensing satellites into orbit from the Xichang Satellite Launch Center in southwest China's Sichuan Province on Monday.
- China's 2nd aircraft carrier Shandong completes testing, training mission, to be combat-ready by year-end Global Times 27 Oct 2020 -- China's first domestically made aircraft carrier, the Shandong, has completed regular testing and training missions at sea that focused on actual combat after serving in the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy for 10 months, China Central Television (CCTV) reported Tuesday.
- High-tech backed militia forces take spotlight in non-war military operations PLA Daily 27 Oct 2020 -- In a flood prevention and rescue drill held by militia detachments in central China's Hunan Province in mid October, new quipment including commanding vehicles, communication supporting vehicles and reconnaissance drones appeared together and displayed fully their prowess , rendering the drill of a full-on "hi-tech style".
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on October 27, 2020 PRC MofA 27 Oct 2020
- China slaps 2 reciprocal sanctions on US Global Times 27 Oct 2020 -- China announced two reciprocal sanctions on the US over its latest arms sales to the island of Taiwan and its crackdown on Chinese media on Monday a week ahead of the US presidential election.
- Chinese FM slams false accusations by US envoy to UN, lambasts American politicians' ignorance Global Times 27 Oct 2020 -- Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Wang Wenbin Tuesday slammed the New York Post article by Kelly Craft, US envoy to the United Nations (UN), saying that it shows once again US politicians' ignorance and prejudice.
- Beijing slams Pompeo for aggressive anti-China posturing on Asia tour Press TV 27 Oct 2020 -- China has blasted US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's "Cold War mentality" for repeatedly referring to what he calls a China threat during an Asian tour.
- Central govt supports HK law enforcement agencies to perform duties: FM response to Tony Chung arrest Global Times 27 Oct 2020 -- A spokesperson for China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Tuesday that China is a country under the rule of law and Hong Kong is a society ruled by law, stressing that the central government supports Hong Kong's law enforcement agencies to perform their duties.
- Independence Activists Rearrested in Hong Kong Under National Security Law Radio Free Asia 27 Oct 2020 -- Hong Kong police on Tuesday rearrested pro-independence activist Tony Chung, who faces criminal charges for his views under China's draconian national security law, outside the U.S. Consulate as he tried to seek political asylum, fellow activists said.
- In Hong Kong, Teen Pro-Democracy Activist Awaits Word of His Fate VOA 27 Oct 2020 -- At only 19 years old, Tony Chung should be focusing on his college studies or choosing a career path. But in today's Hong Kong, like many other young pro-democracy activists who have been arrested, Chung's focus is elsewhere.
- US Senators Introduce Resolution to Designate China's Abuses in Xinjiang as 'Genocide' Radio Free Asia 27 Oct 2020 -- A group of U.S. senators have introduced a resolution to designate China's rights abuses against Uyghurs and other ethnic minorities in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) as genocide.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list