Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
26 October 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Kashi returns to quasi lockdown after virus spike Global Times 26 Oct 2020 -- The sudden spike in coronavirus infections in Kashi prefecture, Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region brought the region back to a quasi lockdown mode, where one in five residents are undergoing nucleic acid tests, and many businesses were closed, and classes were suspended. But the source of the infections remains a mystery.
- Kashi reports 26 new asymptomatic COVID-19 cases Global Times 26 Oct 2020 -- Kashi of Northwest China's Xinjiang Autonomous Region recorded 26 asymptomatic COVID-19 infections from 4pm Sunday to 4pm Monday, city officials announced at a daily press conference.
- Xinjiang asymptomatic cases a 'small-scale sporadic outbreak'; low temperatures blamed Global Times 26 Oct 2020 -- Low temperatures could be one reason for the soaring number of newly reported asymptomatic cases in Kashi, Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, Yang Gonghuan, former vice director of China's CDC, said, calling it a small-scale sporadic outbreak which is controllable.
- China's Xinjiang reports 137 asymptomatic COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Oct 2020 -- Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region has identified 137 new asymptomatic cases of COVID-19, as of 2 p.m. on Sunday, a local health official said at a press conference.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Oct 2020 -- No new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Sunday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- Chinese health authority sends working group to Xinjiang People's Daily 26 Oct 2020 -- China's National Health Commission on Sunday sent a working group to northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region to oversee COVID-19 epidemic-control work.
- Hong Kong sees another untraceable COVID-19 case People's Daily 26 Oct 2020 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported six additional confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, taking Hong Kong's tally to 5,295.
- Scores of Coronavirus Cases Detected Amid New Outbreak in Xinjiang's Kashgar Radio Free Asia 26 Oct 2020 -- Authorities in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) have detected an outbreak of the coronavirus in Kashgar (in Chinese, Kashi) city, leading to a lockdown of the area and the mandatory testing of millions of residents of the Silk Road oasis city.
- 137 more silent virus carriers detected in Xinjiang's Kashi, mass testing in full swing Global Times 26 Oct 2020 -- Nucleic acid testing in Kashi prefecture, Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region covering more than 4.7 million people was in full swing on Sunday, aiming to curb virus transmissions after 138 asymptomatic cases were reported in two days.
- Philippine Fishermen: Basing Coast Guard Ships in Western Pacific is Washington's Right Radio Free Asia 26 Oct 2020 -- A U.S. plan to permanently base Coast Guard ships in the western Pacific â€“ which includes the contested South China Sea â€“ is an assertion that no country, especially China, can claim international waters as its own, but the move may also fuel tensions, a Filipino fishermen's group said Monday.
- China Lurks Around Disputed South China Sea Features For Months on End Radio Free Asia 26 Oct 2020 -- China's coastguard and maritime militia are nothing if not persistent when it comes to making their presence felt around hotly disputed reefs and islets in the South China Sea.
- Hyping China influence in India-Myanmar submarine deal attempts to provoke: experts Global Times 26 Oct 2020 -- India has delivered a submarine to Myanmar for the latter to train soldiers, but this has been hyped by some Indian and Western media as a move to counter China's growing influence in Southeast Asia, which Chinese experts said is an over-interpretation and provocation meant to disrupt China's relationship with countries in the region.
- Iran China Trade Plummets Further Despite Grand Plans Radio Farda 26 Oct 2020 -- Official data released by Iran's major trading partners, including China, show the continuing widespread impact of U.S. government sanctions on Tehran's foreign trade and the significant decline in Iranian exports to these countries in the first nine months of 2020.
- PLA issues new equipment to protect frontline soldiers from extreme weather in Xinjiang and Tibet Global Times 26 Oct 2020 -- Chinese patrol soldiers in the plateau areas have been equipped with new equipment and suits, including glare-reducing lenses, multifunctional kettles and cold protective suits, to protect them from extreme weather, the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Daily reported Monday.
- Chinese military achieves solid progress in strengthening civilian staff force PLA Daily 26 Oct 2020 -- Recently, the shortlist of candidates who have passed the unified examinations of public recruitment of civilian personnel for the Chinese military in 2020 was released. Next, interviews will be held by the employing units as scheduled.
- Chinese peacekeepers conclude cleanup and assistance mission in Beirut PLA Daily 26 Oct 2020 -- A 41-member detachment of the 19th Chinese peacekeeping multi-functional engineer contingent to Lebanon concluded the cleanup and reconstruction assistance in Beirut, the capital city of Lebanon on October 23, after the huge explosions at the Beirut Port, and returned to the mission area in South Lebanon last Friday.
- Taiwan Says Chinese Warplanes Are Crossing a Median Line, But Is There a Median Line? VOA 26 Oct 2020 -- A median line cited by Taiwan's military, when it wards off Chinese fighter jets, has never become a formal agreement, giving the Chinese side license to cross it without violating any agreement, analysts in Taipei say.
- Taiwan 'deeply regrets' China's threat against U.S. arms suppliers CNA 26 Oct 2020 -- Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) on Monday expressed "deep regrets" in response to Beijing's threats to sanction American companies that participate in the United States' latest round of arms sales to Taiwan.
- Taiwan supply plane completes trip to Pratas following row with Hong Kong CNA 26 Oct 2020 -- A civilian aircraft from Taiwan chartered by the military successfully completed a flight to the Dongsha Islands in the South China Sea Monday, 11 days after a previously scheduled trip was cut short by Hong Kong air traffic controllers for no apparent reason.
- Beijing Says It Will Impose Sanctions on Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Raytheon Over Arms Sales to Taiwan Sputnik 26 Oct 2020 -- Last week, the Chinese Foreign Ministry vowed an appropriate and necessary response after the United States had approved arms sales to Taiwan worth about 1.8 billion dollars.
- China slaps sanctions on Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Raytheon over arms sales to Taiwan island Global Times 26 Oct 2020 -- China has decided to sanction firms including Lockheed Martin, Boeing Defense, Raytheon as well as individuals and entities that are involved in arms sales to the island of Taiwan, the Chinese Foreign Ministry announced on Monday.
- China may restrict rare-earth imports, issue financial blockades over US arms sale to Taiwan: analysts Global Times 26 Oct 2020 -- China announced to sanction firms including Lockheed Martin, Boeing Defense, Raytheon as well as individuals and entities that are involved in arms sales to the island of Taiwan.
- China to sanction Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Raytheon over US Taiwan arm sales Press TV 26 Oct 2020 -- China and the United States seem to be headed toward a new high in tensions, with Beijing announcing plans to slap sanctions on major American firms involved in arms sales to Taiwan
- China makes historic progress over 13th Five-Year Plan period under Xi's leadership People's Daily 26 Oct 2020 -- The Chinese economy's exceptional recovery from the impact of COVID-19 may have surprised many overseas observers, but it is just one of a host of achievements China has made during its 13th Five-Year Plan period (2016-2020).
- 19th CPC Central Committee holds 5th plenary session in Beijing People's Daily 26 Oct 2020 -- The 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) started its fifth plenary session in Beijing on Monday.
- Key meeting set to address domestic, external challenges Global Times 26 Oct 2020 -- Top officials of the Communist Party of China (CPC) on Monday convened a key policy meeting that would set the trajectory of the country's social and economic development in the coming five years and outline vision for the next 15 years, which would offer a clear window into how China plans to tackle a litany of domestic and external challenges and what the emerging global power aims to achieve in the medium-to-long term.
- Ruling Chinese Communist Party Paves Way for 'Circular Economy', Greater State Role Radio Free Asia 26 Oct 2020 -- Authorities in Beijing tightened security on Monday, taking dissidents on out-of-town trips, as the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) met to change the course of Chinese economic policy for the first time in four decades, RFA has learned.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on October 26, 2020 PRC MofA 26 Oct 2020
- China Imposes New Restrictions on US News Outlets in Retaliatory Move Against Washington Sputnik 26 Oct 2020 -- As Washington steps up restrictive policies against Chinese owned media outlets, Beijing has periodically introduced rules which require US media outlets to register details with the authorities in a tit-for-tat response.
- China's 'Dark' Fishing Fleet Lays Waste to Global Ecosystems Radio Free Asia 26 Oct 2020 -- China's fleet of illegal fishing vessels is netting multimillion-dollar catches in Korean, Taiwanese, and Japanese waters, in defiance of international bans and treaties, and has been blamed for a sharp fall in squid populations.
- Lawmakers Urge Trump Administration to Expedite Visas, Refugee Status For Uyghurs Radio Free Asia 26 Oct 2020 -- Dozens of lawmakers called on the Trump administration Monday to expedite the visa applications, grant refugee status, and ensure the protection of Uyghurs already in the U.S., noting that the ethnic group faces "heightened risk from persecution" by the Chinese government.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list