Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
23 October 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China set to retaliate if hurt by US virus blame game: sources Global Times 23 Oct 2020 -- Sources told the Global Times on Friday that China will resolutely take countermeasures if the US risks damaging China's interests using the COVID-19 pandemic as a cover.
- China launches mobile COVID-19 testing lab People's Daily 23 Oct 2020 -- Since the outbreak of the novel coronavirus epidemic, waiting in long queues for a COVID-19 test has been a major hurdle in getting tested. However, the advent of a mobile laboratory may help alleviate the problem.
- Bulgaria, Kosovo, North Macedonia Join U.S. Initiative To Block Chinese Equipment In 5G Network RFE/RL 23 Oct 2020 -- Bulgaria, Kosovo, and North Macedonia have signed declarations with the United States on the security of 5G wireless communications networks under which they committed to protect their networks from "untrusted" Chinese tech companies such as Huawei.
- Bulgaria Joins U.S. Initiative To Block Chinese Companies From Building 5G Networks RFE/RL 23 Oct 2020 -- The United States and Bulgaria on October 23 signed a memorandum on the security of 5G wireless communications networks under which Bulgaria commits to protecting its 5G networks from "untrusted" Chinese tech companies such as Huawei.
- United States - Republic of Bulgaria Joint Declaration on 5G Security US Dept. of State 23 Oct 2020 -- The text of the following joint declaration was released by the Governments of the United States of America and the Republic of Bulgaria on October 23, 2020.
- United States - Republic of North Macedonia Joint Declaration on 5G Security US Dept. of State 23 Oct 2020 -- The text of the following joint declaration was released by the Governments of the United States of America and the Republic of North Macedonia on October 23, 2020.
- United States - Slovak Republic Joint Declaration on 5G Security US Dept. of State 23 Oct 2020 -- The text of the following joint declaration was released by the Governments of the United States of America and the Slovak Republic on October 23, 2020.
- Statement from National Security Advisor Robert C. O'Brien The White House 23 Oct 2020
- US Coast Guard to Post Patrol Cutters in Western Pacific to Deter Chinese Boats - O'Brien Sputnik 23 Oct 2020 -- United States National Security Advisor Robert O'Brien says the US Coast Guard (USCG) is evaluating the possible basing of Sentinel-class fast response cutters in American Samoa as a response to illegal activity and harassment by China.
- China urges U.S. to stop arms sales to Taiwan: spokesperson People's Daily 23 Oct 2020 -- China urges the United States to cease arms sales to and military contact with Taiwan, and cancel relevant arms sales plans, to avoid further damages to China-U.S. ties and peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait, a spokesperson with the Foreign Ministry said Thursday.
- China Reports Spike in US Surveillance Flights VOA 23 Oct 2020 -- A reported spike in U.S. military flights over the seas near China reflects Washington's drive to understand and deter Chinese expansion in contested waters, analysts say.
- China sends stern warning via commemoration of war it won against the US 70 years ago in Korea Global Times 23 Oct 2020 -- Almost at the same time, while the world was focused on the theatrical presidential debate in the US, across the Pacific Ocean was a grand ceremony on Friday celebrating China's victory in a war against US aggression in Korea 70 years ago. There, Chinese President Xi Jinping mounted a scathing denunciation of forces that seek to contain China's development and issued a stern warning that the Chinese people were not to be trifled with, and any aggression against China would be dealt with head-on.
- Xi underscores five areas in advancing socialism with Chinese characteristics for new era Global Times 23 Oct 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday underscored five areas in advancing socialism with Chinese characteristics for a new era when addressing a meeting commemorating the 70th anniversary of the Chinese People's Volunteers (CPV) entering the Korean front in the War to Resist US Aggression and Aid Korea.
- War must be fought to deter invaders, Chinese nation will never cower before threats: Xi Global Times 23 Oct 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping said that Chinese people will never sit idly by while China's sovereignty, security and development interests are undermined, and if such situations occur, they will certainly deal with them head-on.
- Xi calls for promoting spirit demonstrated in War to Resist U.S. Aggression and Aid Korea People's Daily 23 Oct 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday urged efforts to carry forward the great spirit demonstrated in the War to Resist U.S. Aggression and Aid Korea.
- Xi delivers speech on War to Resist US Aggression and Aid Korea PLA Daily 23 Oct 2020 -- President Xi Jinping delivers an important speech at a grand gathering in Beijing on Friday that commemorates the 70th anniversary of the Chinese People's Volunteers army entering the Democratic People's Republic of Korea to help in the war to resist US aggression.
- China warns 'enemies' of its military might Press TV 23 Oct 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping says his country stands ready to fight anyone "creating trouble," for the mainland, in a clear message to the United States not to misjudge its determination to defend the nation.
- China's Xi Says Beijing 'Ready to Fight' Potential Invaders Sputnik 23 Oct 2020 -- China would never allow any forces to violate its national sovereignty or separate its sacred territory and would be able to fight such threats, Chinese President Xi Jinping said on Friday.
- PLA Navy conducts exercise above South China Sea PLA Daily 23 Oct 2020 -- The naval aviation force under the People's Liberation Army Southern Theater Command conducted a large-scale live-fire exercise over the South China Sea earlier this week, according to the PLA Navy.
- More metals besides rare earths can be used against US suppression Global Times 23 Oct 2020 -- Besides a group of 17 rare-earth metals that China can cut supplies to the US for the latter's crackdown on Chinese companies, the Chinese government has another seven nonferrous metals vital for US defense and high-tech industries up its sleeves in reserve for retaliation, a senior expert said on Friday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on October 23, 2020 PRC MofA 23 Oct 2020
- China to take further action if UK keeps "hyping up" BNO passport issues: FM Global Times 23 Oct 2020 -- The Chinese foreign ministry warned the UK that China will consider not recognizing Hong Kong British national overseas (BNO) passports as valid travel documents, following the UK government's announcement on Thursday that it will start to process BNO applications for residents in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) from January 31, 2021.
- Australian Writer Facing Spy Trial in Beijing 'Worked as Chinese Spy': Professor Radio Free Asia 23 Oct 2020 -- As the ruling Chinese Communist Party gets ready to try Chinese-Australian writer Yang Hengjun for espionage, his former university professor in Australia has claimed that Yang admitted to working as a Chinese spy for 10 years.
- Concerns Grow Over Beijing's Influence, Smear Campaigns Targeting Academia Radio Free Asia 23 Oct 2020 -- As Washington detailed growing concerns this week over foreign funding and influence in U.S. educational institutions, international China scholars have described behind-the-scenes pressure and murky smear campaigns in support of the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP)..
- China's Economic Growth Claims Raise Data Doubts Radio Free Asia 23 Oct 2020 -- As China returns to economic growth, the country's official report for the third quarter has drawn mixed reviews on the strength of the recovery.
- Trump Aide Urges Democracies to Reject Chinese Campaign of Global Influence Radio Free Asia 23 Oct 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's top Asia adviser on Friday urged the world's democracies to call out China's abuses and reject a campaign of global influence to co-opt nations into a mindset conducive to Beijing's "grand ambitions."
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list