Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
22 October 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 22 Oct 2020 -- No new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Wednesday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- China Agrees to Provide Year-Round Mekong River Data to Downstream Countries Radio Free Asia 22 Oct 2020 -- China formally agreed on Thursday to provide the Mekong River Commission with year-round data on water flows on the Mekong, a move aimed at better monitoring and forecasting of floods and drought on the important regional waterway.
- Biden vows deeper ties with Taiwan in new op-ed CNA 22 Oct 2020 -- U.S. presidential candidate Joe Biden pledged to deepen ties with Taiwan in an op-ed that ran Thursday in America's largest Chinese-language newspaper.
- U.S. announces sale of three arms packages to Taiwan CNA 22 Oct 2020 -- The U.S. government on Wednesday announced plans to sell Taiwan three packages of weapon systems worth a total of US$1.81 billion, including standoff land attack missiles and HIMARS rocket launchers.
- Taiwan welcomes latest U.S. arms sales CNA 22 Oct 2020 -- The government on Thursday welcomed the U.S. State Department's latest approval of arms sales involving three batches of weapons systems and said it believes the deals will strengthen Taiwan's defense capabilities.
- New U.S. arms sales will boost Taiwan's counterstrike ability: analysts CNA 22 Oct 2020 -- A proposed arms package sale approved by the U.S. State Department Wednesday will help Taiwan to improve its long-range counterstrike capability, in the event of an attack, according to Taiwanese security analysts.
- China firmly opposes U.S. arms sales to Taiwan: defense spokesperson PLA Daily 22 Oct 2020 -- China resolutely opposes the United States selling weapons to Taiwan and urges the U.S. side to stop its military contacts with the island, said Senior Colonel Tan Kefei, a spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense (MND) on Thursday.
- China threatens US with 'legitimate response' over arms sales to Taiwan Press TV 22 Oct 2020 -- China has censured the United States' approval of advanced arms sales to Taiwan as interference in its domestic affairs and warned of a "legitimate response."
- Beijing Calls on US to Cancel Arms Sale to Taiwan Sputnik 22 Oct 2020 -- In response to the latest round of US arms sales to Taiwan, the Chinese Foreign Ministry called on the United States to cancel the proposed deal on Thursday.
- China to realize smart rockets by 2025 Global Times 22 Oct 2020 -- China is developing intelligent rockets with learning capabilities, with an R&D team working to enable China's main launch vehicles currently in service to have initial learning capabilities by 2025, Science and Technology Daily reported.
- China mulls defence law amendments amid profound changes in the world Global Times 22 Oct 2020 -- China is mulling amendments to its Law on National Defence amid profound changes in the world over the past two decades by adding key formulations, including threats to the country's development interests, as reasons for defense mobilization, and involvement in global security governance.
- China's amended draft of national defense law to turn military into profession revered by whole of society Global Times 22 Oct 2020 -- China's draft revisions to the National Defense Law aim to make Chinese military service a profession revered by the whole of society, which analysts said will guarantee that they better accomplish missions in emergencies, war and occasions in which national sovereignty, security and development interests are being harmed.
- China to add threats to its development interests as reason for defense mobilization Global Times 22 Oct 2020 -- China is mulling amending its Law on National Defense amid the profound changes in the world situation over the past two decades by adding key formulations, including citing threats to the country's development interests as reasons for defense mobilization, and involvement in global security governance.
- China urges U.S. to clarify biological militarization activities: spokesperson People's Daily 22 Oct 2020 -- China on Wednesday urged the United States to offer a comprehensive clarification on its overseas biological militarization activities.
- China steadily deepens reforms on national defense and armed forces PLA Daily 22 Oct 2020 -- The reform of military policies and institutions is considered as the "third major battle" in deepening reforms on national defense and armed forces, following the reform of leadership and command system and the reform of size, structure and force composition of the Chinese armed forces. In mid-November 2018, the Central Military Commission (CMC) held the working conference on reforming military policies and institutions in Beijing, kicking off this critical battle.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on October 22, 2020 PRC MofA 22 Oct 2020
- China vows countermeasures as US labels more Chinese media as 'foreign missions' Global Times 22 Oct 2020 -- China will make a justifiable and necessary response to the US decision to designate six more Chinese media as "foreign missions," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said Thursday.
- Lawyers For 'Hong Kong 12' Turned Away by Detention Center in South China Radio Free Asia 22 Oct 2020 -- Lawyers hired to represent some of the 12 Hong Kong activists detained by the China Coast Guard as they tried to flee to the democratic island of Taiwan by speedboat on Aug. 23 have once more been denied permission to visit their clients in detention.
- Propagandist Who Purged Cutting-Edge Chinese Media Edits People's Daily Radio Free Asia 22 Oct 2020 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has appointed a propagandist who sparked protests in the southern city of Guangdong in 2013 editor-in-chief of its official newspaper, the People's Daily.
- China, Vatican extend bishops appointment agreement by two years Global Times 22 Oct 2020 -- China and the Vatican decided to extend a provisional agreement on the appointment of bishops by another two years, the Chinese Foreign Ministry announced Thursday, marking a big step toward what insiders said are greater and deeper future ties between the two sides.
- Vatican to Renew Deal With China on Bishops After 'Friendly Consultations' Radio Free Asia 22 Oct 2020 -- The Vatican on Thursday announced it would renew a controversial deal with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) over the running of the Catholic Church in China.
- Some 20,000 Former Camp Detainees Working at Xinjiang Factory Tied to Forced Labor Radio Free Asia 22 Oct 2020 -- Around 20,000 former internment camp detainees are working at the Aksu (in Chinese, Akesu) prefecture branch of an eastern China-based textile producer that has been identified as part of a forced labor scheme in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR), according to a company official.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list