Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
19 October 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Imported case found in E. China, sounding alarm over COVID-19 Global Times 19 Oct 2020 -- An asymptomatic coronavirus carrier from abroad was reported in East China's Shandong Province after a 14-day quarantine, sounding the alarm to prevent the COVID-19 from re-entering the country and causing a new epidemic.
- Guangzhou's new COVID-19 case confirmed infected by inbound traveler Global Times 19 Oct 2020 -- The domestic asymptomatic case of COVID-19 in South China's Guangzhou reported on Thursday has been tracked to a strain of the coronavirus bought to the city by an inbound traveler, local Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed on Sunday. Guangzhou has conducted 148,295 tests for the virus, and none was positive.
- Beijing urges disinfecting outer packaging of goods ordered from overseas People's Daily 19 Oct 2020 -- The Beijing Municipal Health Commission on Monday urged citizens to disinfect the outer packaging of goods ordered from overseas via e-commerce platforms or purchasing agents.
- Qingdao cranks up epidemic prevention and control measures People's Daily 19 Oct 2020 -- Qingdao has ordered hospitals to strengthen management and monitoring of key departments, including fever clinics, emergency units, and CT rooms, after 13 confirmed COVID-19 cases emerged in the city.
- 16 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 19 Oct 2020 -- The National Health Commission said Monday that 16 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Sunday.
- Update: China urges India to fulfill promises on returning missing soldier: PLA command spokesperson Global Times 19 Oct 2020 -- The Global Times has learned from sources that a missing Chinese has been detained in India and will likely be returned to his base.
- Indian Army Apprehends a Chinese Soldier in Demchok Sector of Eastern Ladakh India PIB 19 Oct 2020 -- A PLA soldier identified as Corporal Wang Ya Long was apprehended in the Demchok sector of Eastern Ladakh on 19 October 2020 after he had strayed across the LAC.
- Chinese Soldier Captured by Indian Army in Ladakh, He is Being Questioned, Sources Say Sputnik 19 Oct 2020 -- The Indian Army is now questioning a Chinese soldier, captured in the disputed border region of Ladakh, he is likely to be handed over to the Chinese armed forces later, the Indian Army said in a statement on Monday.
- PLA's hypersonic missile to target 'foreign military intervention' in reunification-by-force Taiwan operation Global Times 19 Oct 2020 -- Media reports in and outside Taiwan have been hyping that the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) is preparing to strike the Taiwan island with new weapon deployment, and Chinese military experts believe weapons like hypersonic missile, the DF-17, should actually target foreign military forces if they intervene in PLA's reunification operations, and that targeting the island would be a waste.
- Taiwan Lodges Protest Over Assault by Chinese Diplomats at Fiji Reception Radio Free Asia 19 Oct 2020 -- The democratic island of Taiwan said on Monday it had lodged a protest with Fiji after it emerged that one of its diplomats was taken to hospital following an assault by Chinese officials who gatecrashed an event in Suva earlier this month.
- Taiwan separatists stir up conflicts in Fiji to attract attention of US, Australia Global Times 19 Oct 2020 -- Chinese authorities denounced the allegations by the separatist Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) on the Taiwan island of Chinese Embassy diplomats in Fiji attacking DPP representatives on the ground.
- The United States Imposes Sanctions on Chinese and Hong Kong Persons for Activities Related to Supporting the Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines US Dept. of State 19 Oct 2020 -- The international community has long recognized that the Iranian regime uses the Islamic Republic of Iran Shipping Lines (IRISL) to transport proliferation-sensitive items intended for Iran's ballistic missile and military programs.
- China slams US sanction threats after arms embargo against Iran terminated Press TV 19 Oct 2020 -- China has lambasted the United States for 'peddling arms' and 'interfering' in the domestic affairs of other countries in the wake of Washington's threat that it will impose sanctions against any country that trades arms with Iran.
- Beijing Calls US Threats to Impose Sanctions Over Arms Supply to Iran Senseless Sputnik 19 Oct 2020 -- The US threats to impose sanctions on anyone supplying weapons to Iran are senseless, as such restrictions would be illegitimate, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Zhao Lijian said at a briefing on Monday.
- PLA soldiers stationed in Tibet receive new QBU-191 assault rifles Global Times 19 Oct 2020 -- People's Liberation Army (PLA) soldiers stationed in Southwest China's Tibet Autonomous Region have received new marksman rifles QBU-191, which have 30-shot magazine and variable magnification scope that can increase long-distance hit precision.
- The Chinese military's new cold-weather quilts effective at minus 40â„ƒ Global Times 19 Oct 2020 -- The Chinese military has made a batch of new cold-weather quilts and clothing for troops stationed on the Tibetan plateau border defense posts, the People's Liberation Army News reported Sunday.
- Xi stresses carrying forward China's volunteers army's spirit in War to Resist U.S. Aggression and Aid Korea PLA Daily 19 Oct 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Monday stressed carrying forward the great spirit demonstrated by the Chinese People's Volunteers (CPV) army in the War to Resist U.S. Aggression and Aid Korea in the new era and striving to achieve national rejuvenation.
- CMC unveils decision on advancing new-type military personnel training PLA Daily 19 Oct 2020 -- With the approval of Xi Jinping, chairman of the Central Military Commission (CMC), the CMC has issued a decision on advancing the training system to cultivate new-type military personnel.
- Video: China's New H-6N Bomber Spotted Armed With New Hypersonic Cruise Missile Sputnik 19 Oct 2020 -- Video has emerged of a Xian H-6N, China's new ballistic missile-hauling bomber, carrying what Chinese military insiders said is a new type of hypersonic cruise missile.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on October 19, 2020 PRC MofA 19 Oct 2020
- Fresh Wave of Chinese Diplomacy Bolsters Resistance to US in Southeast Asia VOA 19 Oct 2020 -- China scored points in Southeast Asia against the United States, a rival superpower trying to curtail Chinese influence abroad, through a slate of ministerial visits last week, analysts in the region believe.
- Germany Grants Political Asylum to Chinese University of Hong Kong Student Radio Free Asia 19 Oct 2020 -- A former university student who fled Hong Kong after riot police surrounded their university campus in November 2019 has been granted political asylum in Germany, a rights group said on Monday.
- China Scholars Hit Out at New Zealand University Over Probe of Professor Radio Free Asia 19 Oct 2020 -- Dozens of academics and experts on China have hit out at a New Zealand university for its investigation of Anne-Marie Brady, a university professor who publicized links between the country's universities and Chinese state interests.
- Uyghur Afghan National Detained in Xinjiang Internment Camp Radio Free Asia 19 Oct 2020 -- Authorities in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) have detained an ethnic Uyghur who is a citizen of Afghanistan, according to members of his family who say they have called on Kabul's Ministry of Foreign Affairs to assist in advocating for his case.
- Two Ethnic Kazakhs From Xinjiang Obtain Rare Temporary Refugee Status In Kazakhstan RFE/RL 19 Oct 2020 -- In a rare occurrence, two ethnic-Kazakh men from China's northwestern region of Xinjiang who were convicted of illegally crossing the border a year ago have obtained temporary refugee status in Kazakhstan.
- China Is Stepping Up Its Control over Religion VOA 19 Oct 2020 -- China appears to be strengthening its censorship controls over Christian religious publications that are approved for distribution by the state.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list