Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
18 October 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Use of Chinese-developed vaccines limited in scope, not open to general public Global Times 18 Oct 2020 -- Several cities in eastern China have been cautiously rolling out COVID-19 vaccines to the public for emergency use, which is limited to specific groups including workers and students who need to travel abroad. As Chinese vaccines are still in clinical trials, the scope of vaccination is limited to special groups in urgent need and not available to the general public, local officials and health workers told the Global Times on Sunday.
- More cities in Zhejiang ramp up efforts to offer COVID-19 vaccines to public for urgent use Global Times 18 Oct 2020 -- Three more cities in East China's Zhejiang Province are stepping up efforts to offer COVID-19 vaccines for urgent use, with priority being given to key groups in need before they can be rolled out to the general public, according to media reports.
- China finds living coronavirus on cold chain food packaging, marking world first Global Times 18 Oct 2020 -- China's Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Saturday that it has detected and isolated living novel coronavirus in a positive sample from the outer packaging of imported frozen cod, when the CDC was tracing a new small-scale outbreak occurred in Qingdao, East China's Shandong Province.
- China passes first biosafety law following COVID-19 epidemic, raises level to national security Global Times 18 Oct 2020 -- China approved its first law dedicated to biosafety, a move analysts said showed a determination to strengthen biosafety management, given controversy regarding biological labs' management and problems of distribution of the power and responsibility for different government authorities revealed during the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Living coronavirus detected in imported frozen food packaging in Qingdao for 1st time, may push forward study of virus origins: virologist Global Times 18 Oct 2020 -- Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced it has detected and isolated living coronavirus in a positive sample from the outer packaging of imported frozen cod, progress that virologists said could push forward research into the virus' origin, which may be aquatic creature.
- Living novel coronavirus isolated from packaging of imported frozen food in Qingdao: China CDC People's Daily 18 Oct 2020 -- It is the first time in the world that living novel coronavirus has been isolated from the outer packaging of cold-chain food.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 18 Oct 2020 -- No new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Saturday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- Asymptomatic COVID-19 case in Guangzhou close contact of imported case People's Daily 18 Oct 2020 -- One local asymptomatic COVID-19 case reported in Guangzhou, capital of south China's Guangdong Province, Friday should be treated as a close contact of an imported COVID-19 case in the city, local health authorities said Saturday.
- China beefing up coastal missile deployment to target Taiwan: report CNA 18 Oct 2020 -- China has been building up its coastal missile deployment in preparation for a possible invasion of Taiwan, Hong Kong media reported Sunday.
- Rumored PLA deployment of DF-17 hypersonic missiles near Taiwan Straits could deter US meddling in China's internal affairs: analysts Global Times 18 Oct 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has deployed its most advanced hypersonic missile, the DF-17, to the Chinese mainland's southeast coast near the island of Taiwan, Hong Kong media reported on Sunday, sparking fear on the island. Although the reports are merely speculation, the PLA missile that is impossible to be intercepted can effectively deter Taiwan secessionists, control the Taiwan Straits and keep foreign interventions away, Chinese mainland analysts said on Sunday.
- China's FY satellites contributes to production, lifts people's livelihood People's Daily 18 Oct 2020 -- According to China Meteorological Administration (CMA), 4 to 5 typhoons might be generated in northwest Pacific Ocean and the South China Sea, and 1 or 2 of them could possibly hit or have an obvious impact on the coastal areas in south China.
- China unveils first practical drone swarm tech, 'to be used in amphibious landing missions' Global Times 18 Oct 2020 -- China has grasped the technology to practically use a drone swarm, a concept featuring the simultaneous and coordinated operation of a large number of drones that could prove to be very difficult to defend against, a Chinese arms firm recently demonstrated in tests. Capable of deployment from the ground, sea and air, this new tool could play a vital role in challenging missions including amphibious landing operations, analysts said on Sunday.
- Laws amended to further regulate use of national flag, emblem PLA Daily 18 Oct 2020 -- Amendments to the National Flag Law and the National Emblem Law were adopted by China's top legislature Saturday in Beijing.
- China passes law restricting sensitive technology export to US Press TV 18 Oct 2020 -- China has passed a new law that restricts export of sensitive items vital to national security in reprisal for a similar move by the United States.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list