Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
12 October 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China's Qingdao Orders Mass Testing After New Cluster of COVID-19 Cases Radio Free Asia 12 Oct 2020 -- Authorities in the eastern Chinese city of Qingdao have ordered coronavirus testing for all of the city's nine million residents after a fresh cluster of confirmed COVID-19 cases following the National Day Golden Week holidays.
- East China's Qingdao to test 9 million residents over five days after 12 COVID-19 cases found Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- East China's Qingdao in Shandong Province has launched a citywide nucleic acid test campaign that will cover its 9 million residents over the next five days after the coastal city reported six confirmed COVID-19 and six asymptomatic patients on Sunday alone, all connected to one local hospital.
- East China's Qingdao conducts city-wide COVID-19 testing after new cases emerge People's Daily 12 Oct 2020 -- The city of Qingdao in east China's Shandong Province has activated a plan to conduct a city-wide nucleic acid testing for COVID-19 after new cases were reported.
- 'Low risk of infection' despite Qingdao receiving 4m passenger trips Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- The city of Qingdao in East China's Shandong Province, where 12 people have tested positive for COVID-19 in a latest outbreak, announced that it received over 4.47 million passenger trips during the National Day holidays in early October, prompting concerns of epidemic spread, but locals and experts assured the public that the risk of wider spread of infections is low.
- Global pandemic's 2nd wave 'likely to peak in December' Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- As many parts of the world face a rebound in COVID-19 cases, with almost all European countries tightening their anti-epidemic measures and local media claiming the second wave of the pandemic has begun, Chinese medical experts predicted that the latest wave is likely to peak in December and January 2021, but will be less worrisome than the first wave.
- Reservations being taken for COVID-19 vaccine in Beijing, Wuhan: media reports Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- State-owned China National Pharmaceutical Group (Sinopharm) has launched an online reservation system for people seeking the company's COVID-19 vaccine in Beijing and Wuhan, Central China's Hubei Province, media reported on Monday.
- China's basic medical insurance funds cannot afford nationwide free COVID-19 vaccination: healthcare authority Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- In a reply to a National People's Congress deputy's proposal that would see the country's medical insurance cover the cost of COVID-19 vaccinations, China's Healthcare Security Administration said on Friday that the basic medical insurance funds can't afford to provide no-charge inoculations for everyone and discussions will be held with related authorities over the cost of COVID-19 vaccines.
- Working group sent to east China city for COVID-19 control People's Daily 12 Oct 2020 -- China's National Health Commission on Monday sent a working group to Qingdao City in east China's Shandong Province to guide COVID-19 epidemic control.
- China's decision to join COVAX will strengthen global vaccine cooperation People's Daily 12 Oct 2020 -- China has announced that it will join COVAX, an international initiative aimed at ensuring equitable global access to COVID-19 vaccines, becoming the largest economy to support the initiative so far. This is an important step for China, as it honors its commitment to turning COVID-19 vaccines into a global public good.
- Taiwan spy used Europe academic post to infiltrate mainland, harm China-Europe ties: sources Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- Sources in the Chinese mainland's state security agency recently provided details to the Global Times of the case against a Taiwan spy who used his academic post in Europe as a cover to collect intelligence, recruit mainland personnel to become Taiwan spies, and sow discord between the People's Republic of China (PRC) and other nations.
- Taiwan tells China to stop political manipulation CNA 12 Oct 2020 -- Taiwan urged China on Monday to stop engaging in political manipulation to avoid hurting cross-Taiwan Strait relations at a time when bilateral ties have dipped to a new low.
- Two new guided missile destroyers enter Chinese naval service Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- Two new and advanced guided missile destroyers have recently entered service with the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy, official reports show. This takes the tally of new destroyers that have been commissioned into the PLA Navy this year known to the general public up to four, which analysts said shows a strong momentum of growth for the PLA Navy amid external instability and pressure.
- China launches new optical remote-sensing satellite PLA Daily 12 Oct 2020 -- China successfully launched a new optical remote-sensing satellite from the southwestern Xichang Satellite Launch Center at 12:57 a.m. on Monday (Beijing Time).
- China readies draft export control to protect national security Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- China is set to advance a new export control law with four new amendments to protect the country's national security.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on October 12, 2020 PRC MofA 12 Oct 2020
- China's Foreign Minister Visits Malaysia Days After Chinese Boats Detained Radio Free Asia 12 Oct 2020 -- China's foreign minister was due to arrive in Kuala Lumpur late Monday while touring five Southeast Asian nations, amid tensions in the South China Sea and days after Malaysia's coast guard detained six Chinese fishing boats and their crews on suspicion of trespassing in territorial waters.
- HK postpones address as Lam will visit Beijing to seek policy support Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) will postpone this year's annual policy address which was originally scheduled for Wednesday, as Chief Executive Carrie Lam has been invited to attend the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone's anniversary event on the same day and she will visit Beijing to seek central government policy support.
- HKSAR chief executive postpones policy address Global Times 12 Oct 2020 -- Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam on Monday announced that she will postpone her annual policy address originally scheduled on Wednesday.
- Former HKSAR chief executive warns of structural damage to economy, sees hope in "dual circulation" People's Daily 12 Oct 2020 -- Hong Kong must avoid structural damage to its economy, and the first step toward recovery is to bring the COVID-19 epidemic under control, Vice Chairman of the National Committee of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference Leung Chun-ying told Xinhua in an exclusive interview.
- China's Xi Heads South, Prompting Last-Minute Change of Plans in Hong Kong Radio Free Asia 12 Oct 2020 -- Ruling Chinese Communist Party general secretary Xi Jinping will head south to Shenzhen this week, in a nod to the economic reforms launched during a similar trip by late supreme leader Deng Xiaoping nearly three decades earlier.
- China Confirms Jailing of Five Missing Relatives of Netherlands-Based Uyghur Activist Radio Free Asia 12 Oct 2020 -- At least five of nearly 20 missing relatives of a Netherlands-based Uyghur activist have been sentenced to prison, he recently learned, after receiving a letter confirming the incarcerations from the Chinese government in response to an inquiry by the Dutch foreign ministry.
- Beijing begins preparation for national population census People's Daily 12 Oct 2020 -- Beijing kicked off 21-day door-to-door household visits starting on Sunday until Oct. 31 in preparation for China's seventh national population census, said the Beijing Municipal Bureau of Statistics.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list