Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
09 October 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Singaporean National Sentenced to 14 Months in Prison for Acting in the United States As an Illegal Agent of Chinese Intelligence US Dept. of Justice 09 Oct 2020 -- Jun Wei Yeo, also known as Dickson Yeo, was sentenced today in federal court to 14 months in prison. Yeo pled guilty on July 24, 2020 to acting within the United States as an illegal agent of a foreign power without first notifying the Attorney General, in violation of 18 U.S.C. Â§ 951.
- China joins COVAX, to provide vaccines to developing countries first Global Times 09 Oct 2020 -- China on Thursday signed an agreement with Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, to officially join COVAX, a global platform that supports the research and development (R&D) as well as manufacturing of COVID-19 vaccine candidates, China's Foreign Ministry announced on Friday.
- China joins WHO plan for global distribution of COVID-19 vaccine Press TV 09 Oct 2020 -- China has joined a global initiative, backed by the World Health Organization (WHO), to help an equitable distribution of coronavirus vaccines, in a move that is expected to anger US President Donald Trump, who already rejected the plan.
- China joins global effort to ensure COVID vaccine access for all UN News 09 Oct 2020 -- China is among three additional countries to have signed on to a global initiative that aims to ensure fair and equitable access to a COVID-19 vaccine once developed, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported on Friday.
- Public Health Experts Urge Caution on China's COVID-19 Vaccines VOA 09 Oct 2020 -- China said on Friday that it had joined a global COVID-19 vaccine distribution plan backed by the World Health Organization, becoming the biggest economy to date to pledge support to distribute the shots fairly.
- China Joins WHO Initiative to Distribute COVID Vaccine to Developing Countries VOA 09 Oct 2020 -- China said Friday it is joining a World Health Organization international initiative to distribute COVID-19 vaccines to the developing world.
- Chinese medical experts arrive in Angola to aid fight against COVID-19 Global Times 09 Oct 2020 -- A group of Chinese medical experts, who worked in the front line of the fight against the COVID-19 in Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak in China, arrived in Angola on Wednesday night to exchange experience with local professionals and aid the country's fight against the pandemic.
- Satellite Images Allegedly Depict New Chinese PLA Barracks Near India-Nepal-China Trijunction Sputnik 09 Oct 2020 -- As India's ties with Nepal deteriorate over the latter issuing a map claiming territories contested by New Delhi, the Indian and Chinese armies continue to face-off in Ladakh, the heart of the heightened tensions. China has reportedly been amassing troops and heavy artillery in the area since a mid-June clash that left 20 Indian soldiers dead.
- PLA urges US to stop provocations after US ship's 'voyage hegemony' in South China Sea Global Times 09 Oct 2020 -- The USS John S. McCain entered waters of China's Xisha Islands in the South China Sea on Friday without China's approval, and was warned and told to leave by the People's Liberation Army Southern Theater Command, said Senior Colonel Zhang Nandong, a spokesperson for the command on Friday.
- China urges US military to stop provocations in South China Sea PLA Daily 09 Oct 2020 -- China urges the United States to immediately stop provocations, strictly manage and control its maritime and air military operations so as to avoid any eventuality, said Senior Colonel Zhang Nandong, spokesperson for the Southern Theater Command of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), in a written statement on Friday.
- Chinese Military Accuses US Destroyer of Approaching Paracel Islands Without Beijing's Consent Sputnik 09 Oct 2020 -- Beijing recently accused the US of being the main factor leading to the militarisation of the South China Sea â€“ something that has also been condemned by Washington. Chinese authorities have argued that the US military's activities in the area undermine regional efforts to resolve territorial
- Chinese military planes enter Taiwan's ADIZ on eve of national day CNA 09 Oct 2020 -- Two Chinese military aircraft entered Taiwan's southwest air defense identification zone (ADIZ) on Friday, a day before the country marks its Double Ten National Day.
- Taiwan's military drills 'a futile cover-up show' against PLA operations Global Times 09 Oct 2020 -- The military on the island of Taiwan reportedly started on Friday a set of exercises off the coast where the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) of the mainland have been frequently conducting drills and patrols since mid-September. While analysts on the island claim the exercises were designed to counter those of the PLA, many recent events indicate weaknesses of the Taiwan military and mainland experts say Taiwan drills shall yield no significant changes to the overwhelming advantage the PLA has over it.
- Chinese-US military dialogue channels open amid tensions, but US shows unwillingness to talk: source Global Times 09 Oct 2020 -- Communication channels between the Chinese and US militaries remain open despite tensions, the Global Times learned from source, but some experts warned of the possibility of a collapse due to the US' refusal to talk.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on October 9, 2020 PRC MofA 09 Oct 2020
- US Mulls Curbs on China's WeChat Pay, Alipay Platforms: Report Radio Free Asia 09 Oct 2020 -- The United States is looking at possible restrictions on two Chinese-owned digital payment platforms, amid national security concerns, according to recent media reports.
- China Sets Economic Strategy for Next Five Years Radio Free Asia 09 Oct 2020 -- While analysts puzzle over the meaning of China's latest economic slogan, the government appears poised to adopt President Xi Jinping's "dual circulation" strategy as its guiding principle for the next five years.
- Chinese peacekeepers to Lebanon join in reconstruction efforts of Beirut Port PLA Daily 09 Oct 2020 -- After a week of continuous work, peacekeepers from China, France, Italy, Spain and Cambodia have completed the demolition of all damaged buildings and the recovery of usable materials in the Beirut Port. At the same time, tasks of cleaning up and searching for collapsed historical monuments and cultural relics in downtown Beirut City have also been completed.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list