Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
28 September 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Childcare centers reopen as strict COVID-19 restrictions eased in Australia's hardest-hit state Global Times 28 Sep 2020 -- Childcare centers reopened for all children as Australia has made a progress in its fight against a second wave of COVID-19 infections with strict restrictions in Melbourne eased on Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Sep 2020 -- No new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Sunday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- 'Xi Jinping Thought' Now Required Learning For Young Tibetans Radio Free Asia 28 Sep 2020 -- In a job sector already marked by limited opportunities, young Tibetans seeking government work are being required to join the ruling Chinese Communist Party and to closely study the political thought of party chief Xi Jinping, sources in Tibet say.
- China urges US not to act rashly on S.China Sea Global Times 28 Sep 2020 -- The US is the biggest driving force behind the militarization of the South China Sea, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said, noting that China is determined to firmly safeguard national sovereignty and territorial security, and will continue to work with other countries in the region to safeguard peace and stability in the South China Sea.
- Data Shows Commercial Shipping Avoids Hotspots in South China Sea Radio Free Asia 28 Sep 2020 -- Data shows China's militarization of the South China Sea appears to be having significant effects on commercial shipping in the region. Experts say that Beijing's bases and naval build-up are ultimately meant to police the disputed waters and secure China's own trade routes.
- DPP 'self-deceiving' in seeking secessionist presence of Taiwan in intl organizations Global Times 28 Sep 2020 -- The separatist Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) authorities on the island of Taiwan protested against an international organization that listed the island in "China," and urged a separate category of Chinese Taipei, but analysts noted such self-deception will not change the fact that it is an inalienable part of Chinese territory.
- China's unmanned plateau helicopter completes high-altitude maiden flight Global Times 28 Sep 2020 -- China's first independently developed unmanned helicopter that will focus on plateau operation successfully completed its maiden flight in a plateau region on Sunday, a milestone that demonstrates the capability of this agile drone. The aircraft is expected to join missions in the high-altitude China-India border region including logistics support and armed reconnaissance amid tensions, analysts said on Monday.
- Chinese peacekeepers to Lebanon participate in UN cleanup, reconstruction mission after Beirut's blasts PLA Daily 28 Sep 2020 -- The first batch of 20 Chinese peacekeepers to Lebanon arrived in Beirut on Sunday for the UN mission to clean up and reconstruct the Lebanese capital after huge explosions swept through its port in early August.
- China Begins Massive New Military Drills in Four Neighboring Seas - Report Sputnik 28 Sep 2020 -- For the second time in two months, China is holding massive military drills in all four seas on its eastern border.
- China punishes over 16,000 officials for frugality violations People's Daily 28 Sep 2020 -- A total of 16,731 Chinese officials were punished in August for violating frugality rules, according to the top anti-graft body on Sunday.
- Definition amending of "media representatives" no harm to press freedom: HKSAR gov't official Global Times 28 Sep 2020 -- The Hong Kong police's amending of the definition of "media representatives" under the Police General Orders will not harm freedom of the press, Matthew Cheung, chief secretary for administration of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government, said Sunday.
- PLA Hong Kong Garrison holds joint sea-air patrol drill PLA Daily 28 Sep 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Hong Kong Garrison staged an air-sea joint patrol exercise involving troops of army, navy and air force of the Garrison in waters and airspace near Hong Kong on Saturday. The drill was aimed to test and improve the troops' capabilities of fulfilling emergency missions, making quick response and carrying out joint operations.
- Journalists Hit Out at Fresh Probe Into Outspoken Hong Kong TV Anchor Radio Free Asia 28 Sep 2020 -- An ongoing investigation into a hard-hitting journalist with Hong Kong's government broadcaster RTHK will have a "chilling effect" on the city's news organizations, the Hong Kong Journalists' Association (HKJA) warned on Monday.
- Xi stresses building Xinjiang featuring socialism with Chinese characteristics in new era PLA Daily 28 Sep 2020 -- President Xi Jinping has called for efforts to build Xinjiang featuring socialism with Chinese characteristics in the new era.
- Anger as Xi Jinping Doubles Down on Repressive Xinjiang Policies Radio Free Asia 28 Sep 2020 -- President Xi Jinping has vowed to carry on what he called China's "totally correct" strategy in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, drawing sharp criticism from a Uyghur group and from experts who point to the growing international outcry at Chinese policies that some say amount to genocide.
- Beijing Ramps Up Investment Push In Pakistan, Afghanistan, Despite Risks RFE/RL 28 Sep 2020 -- China is cautiously increasing its role in South Asia by rejuvenating economic interests in Pakistan and forging closer ties to Afghanistan with peace talks between Afghan officials and the Taliban under way.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list