Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
21 September 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- New York City Police Department Officer Charged with Acting As an Illegal Agent of the Peopleâ€™s Republic of China US Dept. of Justice 21 Sep 2020 -- The Defendant Reported to Officials with the PRC Consulate About the Activities of Chinese Citizens in the New York Area and Assessed Potential Intelligence Sources for the PRC Within the Tibetan Community in New York and Elsewhere
- No local COVID-19 cases have been detected in SW China's border city Ruili Global Times 21 Sep 2020 -- All urban residents of Ruili, SW China's Yunnan Province, have been tested for the coronavirus, and no local cases or local transmissions have been detected, local anti-epidemic official announced on Monday night.
- Second COVID-19 wave in China 'inevitable': top experts Global Times 21 Sep 2020 -- A second wave of COVID-19 outbreak in China is "inevitable," said Zhang Wenhong, China's leading infectious disease specialist and head of the Shanghai COVID-19 medical team, despite that the Chinese mainland has reported zero new domestic COVID-19 cases since August 16.
- No delivery staff contract COVID-19 on the job: official Global Times 21 Sep 2020 -- Of the 4 million delivery workers in China, only 58 have been infected with COVID-19, but none contracted the disease on the job, an official said on Monday.
- Hong Kong reports six new COVID-19 cases, 5,038 in total People's Daily 21 Sep 2020 -- Hong Kong has seen continued abating of the third wave of COVID-19 outbreak, with six new infections reported on Monday.
- China, India in latest round of commander-level talks over border issue Global Times 21 Sep 2020 -- China and India are holding the sixth round of corps commander-level talks over the border issue, the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs revealed on Monday.
- Philippines Foreign Minister Challenges 'China's Demand' on South China Sea Radio Free Asia 21 Sep 2020 -- The Philippinesâ€™ top diplomat assured lawmakers in Manila on Monday that a code of conduct being negotiated between Southeast Asian nations and Beijing would not keep Western powers out of the South China Sea.
- Iran attends Caucasus 2020 drills IRNA 21 Sep 2020 -- Caucasus 2020 military drills started work in the presence of 13,000 military forces from Iran, Russia, China, Pakistan, Belarus, and Myanmar in the rim of the Caspian Sea, and the Black Sea on Monday.
- Taiwan has enough missiles to defend itself at present: MND CNA 21 Sep 2020 -- Taiwan has enough long-range precision missiles to defend itself against a possible attack from China, the Ministry of National Defense (MND) said Monday, rebutting reports that drills found Taiwan's missile supply to be inadequate.
- Taiwan Air Force Training Pilots to Avoid Escalation With Chinese Warplanes, Reports Suggest Sputnik 21 Sep 2020 -- The Taiwanese Ministry of National Defence is training its fighter pilots to engage and respond to any possible fire from Chinese warplanes as tensions escalate between the two, a ministerial source told Taiwan News.
- Increased China Warplane Activity Unnerves Taiwan VOA 21 Sep 2020 -- The increasing number of air force incursions from China is starting to fray nerves among ordinary Taiwanese, who wonder if their heavily armed political rival finally plans to attack after decades of threats, polls and analysts say.
- Taiwan's economy, trade break-off from mainland a dream: experts Global Times 21 Sep 2020 -- The Chinese foreign ministry said China will take legitimate countermeasures, including targeting individuals, after US Undersecretary of State Keith Krach ended his visit to the island of Taiwan, adding that the US must bear full responsibility for violating the one-China principle.
- China vows countermeasures after US Undersecretary of State visited Taiwan Global Times 21 Sep 2020 -- The Chinese foreign ministry said China will take legitimate countermeasures, including targeting relative individuals, after US Undersecretary of State Keith Krach completed his visit to the island of Taiwan on Sunday, adding that the US must bear full responsibility for the outcome.
- China vows retaliation against US diplomatic visits to Taiwan, slams support for island's independence Press TV 21 Sep 2020 -- China has condemned a recent visit by a senior US official to Taiwan as a â€śpolitical provocation,â€ť saying any support for the self-ruled islandâ€™s independence is "doomed to fail."
- PLA minesweepers to break Taiwan sea mines threat Global Times 21 Sep 2020 -- Multiple minesweeper flotillas attached to the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Southern Theater Command and Eastern Theater Command recently held live-fire exercises, honing their capability to effectively and rapidly clear sea lanes from mines, and open passages for other warships and landing forces, amid Taiwan secessionists' attempt to surround the Taiwan Straits with mines.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Wang Wenbin's Regular Press Conference on September 21, 2020 PRC MofA 21 Sep 2020
- HK police deny 12 suspects were detained in HK waters Global Times 21 Sep 2020 -- Hong Kong police denied that police from Shenzhen, South China's Guangdong Province, had crossed into the waters of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region when they detained 12 Hong Kong residents, adding that Hong Kong police will continue to assist the relatives of the suspects.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list