Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
13 September 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- US revokes 14-day quarantine for travelers from Chinese mainland Global Times 13 Sep 2020 -- The US will loosen travel restrictions on people from the Chinese mainland from Monday, and it will revoke the earlier 14-day quarantine requirement.
- Large-scale COVID-19 vaccine injections not needed as domestic pandemic curbed: CDC director Global Times 13 Sep 2020 -- As China has already curbed the coronavirus contagion, a COVID-19 vaccine could be injected sparingly rather than on a large-scale, the head of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said. Experts remind that while vaccines are useful, the public should remain on high alert for any potential resurgence.
- Prominent Chinese infectious disease expert upbeat on global fight against COVID-19 Global Times 13 Sep 2020 -- The first signs of success have emerged in the global fight against COVID-19, said prominent Chinese infectious disease expert Zhang Wenhong in his latest online post on Sunday. It was the veteran Shanghai doctor's first positive remark on the global efforts against the coronavirus.
- Chinese city bordering Myanmar locks down community after suspected COVID-19 patient Global Times 13 Sep 2020 -- A newly reported COVID-19 infection has triggered the lockdown of a residential complex in a Chinese city bordering Myanmar in Southwest China's Yunnan Province on Saturday afternoon, and the unknown source of the possible infection sparked concerns over illegal crossings.
- No antibody-dependent enhancement effect observed in China-developed COVID19 vaccines: experts Global Times 13 Sep 2020 -- The antibody-dependent enhancement (ADE) effect, which could lead to the failure of vaccines and infections that are even more serious, has not yet been observed from clinical trials of China-developed COVID-19 vaccines, said Li Yingli, the chief reviewer in charge of clinical review of vaccines at the Center for Drug Evaluation of the Chinese National Medical Products Administration, on Saturday.
- 22.2% of Hong Kong residents now tested for COVID-19 Global Times 13 Sep 2020 -- As many as 1,666,000 residents have been tested for COVID-19 in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region's (HKSAR) universal community testing program, who account for 22.2 percent of the city's population, HKSAR government said.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Sep 2020 -- No new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Saturday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- 13 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 13 Sep 2020 -- The National Health Commission said Sunday that 13 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Saturday.
- Chinese mainland reports 10 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 13 Sep 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 10 new imported COVID-19 cases Saturday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 2,635, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- China's 3rd aircraft carrier 'progressing smoothly' Global Times 13 Sep 2020 -- It has been nearly two years since the Xinhua News Agency revealed that China's third aircraft carrier was under construction, and recent media reports suggest that work is progressing smoothly and the launch of the warship is near.
- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte meets Chinese Defense Minister Wei Fenghe PLA Daily 13 Sep 2020 -- Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte met with the visiting Chinese State Councilor and Minister of National Defense General Wei Fenghe in Manila on the afternoon of September 11, 2020.
- Defense spokesman: China firmly opposes US report on Chinese military PLA Daily 13 Sep 2020 -- A Chinese defense spokesman on Sunday expressed firm opposition to a recent report released by the US Department of Defense.
- China lodges solemn representations with U.S. for its report on Chinese military PLA Daily 13 Sep 2020 -- A spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense on Sunday expressed China's strong dissatisfaction with a report released by the U.S. Department of Defense on September 1, stating that it misinterpreted China's national defense policy.
- China lodges representation over Pentagon report on China's military development Global Times 13 Sep 2020 -- China has lodged stern representation to the US after the US Department of Defense released the 2020 report on China's military and security developments, another example of the US defaming China's national defense and military modernization, the Chinese Ministry of National Defense said Sunday.
- Expectations Lowered Ahead of Europe-China Summit VOA 13 Sep 2020 -- The European Union and China hold talks Monday with hopes to strike a trade and investment deal by the year's end. Several issues pose potential hurdles, though, from human rights and climate concerns to the outcome of November's U.S. election.
- Xi to meet European leaders Global Times 13 Sep 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping is scheduled to attend a video conference with European leaders on Monday, the second such meeting between Chinese and European leaders in two months.
- US accuses China of 'escalation' over retaliatory measures on American diplomats Press TV 13 Sep 2020 -- The United States has accused China of "escalation" over Beijing's restrictions on all American diplomats on its soil in response to a similar move by Washington.
- 12 HK anti-govt rioters under criminal detention for illegally crossing border: Shenzhen police Global Times 13 Sep 2020 -- Twelve Hong Kong residents have been put under criminal detention for illegally cross-ing the border area, the Shenzhen police said on Sunday, adding that the case is under investigation.
- HK secessionists' detention 'a warning' for those with illusions about escape to Taiwan from justice Global Times 13 Sep 2020 -- Taiwan media reported Sunday that five fleeing Hong Kong sucessionists were detained in the island of Taiwan, and another 12 Hong Kong anti-government rioters who reportedly illegally crossed the border by water in August were announced on Sunday to be under criminal detention. These cases all represented a warning shot to Hong Kong secessionists who still hold illusions of escaping from justice.
- Siemens says it respects China's sovereignty after CEO's remark over HK drew anger Global Times 13 Sep 2020 -- German industrial conglomerate Siemens stated that it always respects China's sovereignty and territorial integrity, and it will continue to uphold the "one country, two systems" principle.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list