Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
11 September 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Pompeo Again Slams Chinese 'Aggression,' Says US Is Committed to SE Asia Radio Free Asia 11 Sep 2020 -- United States Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Friday reaffirmed Washington's commitment to Southeast Asia and accused China of "aggression" in the South China Sea and manipulating the flow of the Mekong River in a time of drought.
- Philippine, Chinese Defense Leaders Discuss South China Sea 'Differences' Radio Free Asia 11 Sep 2020 -- Chinese Defense Minister Wei Fenghe met behind closed doors with his Philippines counterpart in Manila on Friday, on the heels of similar visits to Malaysia and Indonesia, discussing "a range of issues" affecting defense ties, including the South China Sea, the Philippines side said.
- China Arrests Drug Traffickers Near Fiery Cross Reef in South China Sea Radio Free Asia 11 Sep 2020 -- China has announced that its coast guard and an anti-narcotics unit conducted a rare drug bust in the middle of the Spratly Islands last month, seizing a ship and making six arrests, in the latest show of Beijing's claim to jurisdiction over disputed waters in the South China Sea.
- Microsoft Says Russian, Iranian, Chinese Hackers Target Biden, Trump Campaigns RFE/RL 11 Sep 2020 -- U.S. tech giant Microsoft says hackers linked to Russia, Iran, and China have targeted people and organizations tied to both U.S. President Donald Trump and Democratic challenger Joe Biden.
- Coronavirus Citizen Journalist Faces Prosecution on Public Order Charges Radio Free Asia 11 Sep 2020 -- Authorities in Shanghai are moving ahead with the prosecution of a citizen journalist who reported on the emerging coronavirus epidemic in the central Chinese city of Wuhan earlier this year.
- Chinese vaccines for urgent use keep safety records Global Times 11 Sep 2020 -- Chinese COVID-19 vaccine developers have stressed the safety of both inactivated vaccines and a recombinant adenovirus vector vaccine, after global trials of a coronavirus vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University paused after a volunteer fell ill during trials, with one Chinese developer saying that some 100,000 people vaccinated have shown no abnormal reactions.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 11 Sep 2020 -- No new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Thursday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- China rejects Microsoft claim of attempted meddling in US election Press TV 11 Sep 2020 -- China has rejected an allegation by US technology company Microsoft that Beijing is seeking to meddle in the United States' 2020 presidential election, accusing the American tech giant of "fabrication" and "creating trouble."
- Chinese-Indian foreign ministers reach consensus beyond expectations; peace depends on India keeping promise: expert Global Times 11 Sep 2020 -- The joint statement and five-point consensus reached by both Chinese and Indian foreign ministers in Moscow on Thursday evening marked a substantial step in cooling down the current border situation, exceeding the expectations of most international observers and creating favorable conditions for a possible future meeting between the leaders of the two countries, Chinese experts told the Global Times on Friday.
- Joint press release published to de-escalate border tensions and keep dialogue after China-India FMs meeting in Moscow Global Times 11 Sep 2020 -- A joint press release was announced after the meeting between Chinese and Indian foreign ministers in Moscow on Thursday, to de-escalate border tensions, and keep dialogue.
- China, India reach consensus on easing border tensions PLA Daily 11 Sep 2020 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi and his Indian counterpart S. Jaishankar reached a five-point consensus on the developments in the border areas as well as on bilateral relations, according to a joint press statement released here on Thursday.
- China, India agree to take steps for 'peace' on contested border Press TV 11 Sep 2020 -- China and India say they have agreed to take steps to restore "peace and tranquility" on their disputed Himalayan border, where escalated tensions prompted the two nuclear powers to accuse each other of committing border aggression.
- India, China Agree to Protect Existing Border Agreements, Avoid Escalation of Tensions Sputnik 11 Sep 2020 -- The Indian Minister of External Affairs, Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, and his Chinese counterpart, Wang Yi, met in Moscow on Thursday on the margins of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) to discuss the simmering tensions between New Delhi and Beijing.
- Lao Army Launches TV Station Paid For by China Radio Free Asia 11 Sep 2020 -- The Lao People's Army has launched a television station funded entirely by the country's powerful northern neighbor China, Lao media sources say. The station, Lao Army Television Channel 7, began broadcasting content on Sept. 9 from its building in the capital Vientiane.
- China should not underestimate Taiwan's will to defend itself: Tsai CNA 11 Sep 2020 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on Friday warned China not to underestimate Taiwan's will to defend itself and the determination of the Taiwanese people to safeguard their free and democratic way of life.
- Chinese spy ship spotted off Taiwan's east coast for two days CNA 11 Sep 2020 -- A reconnaissance vessel of the People's Liberation Army (PLA) has been spotted off Taiwan's east coast over the past two days during a Taiwanese missile testing exercise, a military source said Friday.
- PLA carriers crucial in reunification-by-force Taiwan operation Global Times 11 Sep 2020 -- After the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) conducted intensive aerial and naval exercises near Taiwan for two consecutive days on Wednesday and Thursday, the military on the island is fearing a potential island encirclement patrol by the PLA's two aircraft carriers, Taiwan media said on Friday.
- PLA Tibet military command adopts drones for logistics support in drills amid China-India border clash Global Times 11 Sep 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Tibet Military Command recently adopted UAVs - or drones - to provide logistics support for its troops that are currently stationed at an elevation of 4,500 meters completing exercise drills, with some military analysts believing the decision to employ such innovative technologies showcases the PLA's new modernized logistics support means while also exhibiting that China is prepared for potential conflict while engaging in negotiations with India.
- China to dispatch troops for military drills in Russia People's Daily 11 Sep 2020 -- The Chinese military will send personnel to Russia's Astrakhan Region to participate in the Kavkaz-2020 strategic military drills scheduled for Sept. 21-26, China's Ministry of National Defense announced on Thursday.
- New regulations mark improvement of Party building in Chinese military: official PLA Daily 11 Sep 2020 -- The newly introduced regulations marked new progress in Party building within the Chinese military, according to a leading official with the Political Work Department of the Central Military Commission (CMC).
- Chinese peacekeeping contingent to Lebanon carries out construction task along the Blue Line PLA Daily 11 Sep 2020 -- To improve the patrolling conditions during rainy season and provide convenience for local people's daily commute, the 19th batch of Chinese peacekeeping multifunctional engineer contingent to Lebanon started its first construction task along the Blue Line on the Lebanon and Israel border based on the annual construction plan of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), on September 9, local time.
- Joint statement by the foreign ministers of the Russian Federation and the People's Republic of China, Moscow, September 11, 2020 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 11 Sep 2020 -- The Russian Federation and the People's Republic of China, in the spirit of relations of comprehensive partnership and strategic cooperation that are entering a new era, and based on a common vision of the current international situation and key problems, urge the international community to promote cooperation, deepen understanding, stand up against new challenges and threats by collective efforts and facilitate global political stability and global economic recovery.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on September 11, 2020 PRC MofA 11 Sep 2020
- China slaps reciprocal restrictions on US embassy, consular staff Global Times 11 Sep 2020 -- China has taken reciprocal restrictions on diplomats and other personnel at the US embassy and consulates in China, including the US consulate in Hong Kong region, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Friday.
- China imposes 'reciprocal' restrictions on all US diplomats Press TV 11 Sep 2020 -- China's Foreign Ministry says Beijing will impose 'reciprocal restrictions' on all American diplomats in mainland China and Hong Kong in response to Washington's earlier restrictive measures amid tense ties between the two countries.
- US annulment of Chinese nationals' visas is 'blatant political persecution,' says FM Global Times 11 Sep 2020 -- The US has seriously infringed on the human rights of Chinese nationals and brought grave consequences for the personnel and cultural exchanges between the two countries, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Thursday, slamming the US annulment of more than 1,000 visas for Chinese nationals as "blatant political persecution and racial discrimination."
- U.S. Ambassador Accuses China's Huawei Of Misleading Romanian People RFE/RL 11 Sep 2020 -- The U.S. ambassador to Bucharest has accused Huawei and the Chinese Embassy of continuing "to try to mislead the people of Romania" while accusing some Romanian press outlets of publishing Chinese propaganda.
- Chinese Dissident Property Tycoon Defends Himself at Trial Radio Free Asia 11 Sep 2020 -- Property tycoon Ren Zhiqiang, who was detained and expelled from the ruling Chinese Communist Party after penning an article highly critical of general secretary Xi Jinping, was planning to plead not guilty at his trial on Friday, sources told RFA.
- The United States Expresses Concern Over Hong Kong Democracy Activists Held in Guangdong Province US Dept. of State 11 Sep 2020 -- "The United States is deeply concerned that twelve Hong Kong democracy activists, arrested two weeks ago off the coast of Hong Kong by Guangdong Maritime Police, have been denied access to lawyers of their choice."
- Hong Kong Catholics 'Divided' Over Response to National Security Crackdown Radio Free Asia 11 Sep 2020 -- Catholic priests in Hong Kong have been asked to avoid "instigating hatred and social disorder" by their bishop, as the local Catholic diocese appeared to signal it wouldn't oppose a draconian national security law imposed on the city by Beijing.
- As Many as Eight Internment Camps Operating in Xinjiang Region Where Disney Filmed 'Mulan' Radio Free Asia 11 Sep 2020 -- As many as eight internment camps may be operating in Turpan (in Chinese, Tulufan), local police said, as calls to boycott a Disney film shot partly in the ancient Silk Road City grew Friday, citing its links to entities responsible for repressing Uyghurs in China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR).
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list