Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
07 September 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China sends another high-resolution remote sensing satellite into space Global Times 07 Sep 2020 -- China successfully sent the Gaofen-11 02 - a high resolution Earth observation satellite - into planned orbit via a Long March-4B carrier rocket from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in North China's Shanxi Province on Monday.
- China launches new optical remote-sensing satellite PLA Daily 07 Sep 2020 -- China launched a new optical remote-sensing satellite from the Taiyuan Satellite Launch Center in northern Shanxi province on Monday.
- Reusable spacecraft lands after two-day excursion PLA Daily 07 Sep 2020 -- China's reusable experimental spacecraft landed at a preset site on Sunday morning after two days in orbit.
- Chinese-made vaccine able to fight all mutations: developer Global Times 07 Sep 2020 -- Chinese military infectious disease expert Chen Wei said a COVID-19 vaccine her team produced can be effective against all existing mutations of the novel coronavirus, noting that they are preparing for mass vaccination at a low price whenever phase three clinical trial results come out.
- Xinjiang clears all confirmed COVID-19 cases, asymptomatic carriers Global Times 07 Sep 2020 -- The number of confirmed and asymptomatic COVID-19 patients in Xinjiang dropped to zero on Monday, the same day as schools in the region reopened after Xinjiang announced its return to normalcy last week.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 07 Sep 2020 -- No new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Sunday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- Hong Kong to implement health code system once epidemic under control: officials People's Daily 07 Sep 2020 -- Senior officials of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government said Sunday that the health code system will be introduced once the epidemic is brought under control to facilitate travels and economic activities in Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao.
- Hong Kong's new COVID-19 cases rebound to 21 People's Daily 07 Sep 2020 -- Hong Kong's daily new cases of COVID-19 rebounded to 21 on Sunday, with five identified under the Universal Community Testing Program (UCTP).
- Pakistani Nuclear Power Plant's K2 Unit Completes Thermal Testing Using China's Hualong One Tech Sputnik 07 Sep 2020 -- China's domestically-produced nuclear technology received a major push on Friday as the Hualong One reactor completed fuel loading for the first time in Unit 5 at the Fuqing nuclear power plant. China is in line to surpass France as the second nuclear generator in the world by 2022 and may claim the top spot, replacing the US, a few years later.
- China's Western Theatre Command Claims Retaliation After Indian Troops Use Bullets on Patrol Team Sputnik 07 Sep 2020 -- According to People's Liberation Army spokesperson Zhang Shuili, Chinese border defence troops were forced to take countermeasures following what he described as the Indian army illegally crossing the line.
- Sanctions Signal Tougher US Stance Toward Beijing Over South Sea VOA 07 Sep 2020 -- First-time U.S. sanctions against a group of Chinese companies believed to have helped China fortify disputed islets in an Asian sea signal a tougher policy by Washington toward its rival superpower's maritime expansion, analysts say.
- China's new AWACS ready for South China Sea missions Global Times 07 Sep 2020 -- A latest variation of China's KJ-500 airborne early warning and control system (AWACS), equipped with a probe that can allow the plane to receive aerial refueling and greatly extend its range and endurance, was recently spotted at a naval aviation regiment base under the People's Liberation Army (PLA) Southern Theater Command.
- China flexing muscle with naval drills amid rising tensions with US Press TV 07 Sep 2020 -- China is once again flexing its military muscle with a fresh round of naval exercises along the country's northeast and eastern coasts in what is widely seen as a show of force amid ongoing US military provocations in the region.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on September 7, 2020 PRC MofA 07 Sep 2020
- Beijing dismisses US politicians' ill-willed comments on China Global Times 07 Sep 2020 -- Facts have proved that it is the US that "refuses to compete in a fair, equal and transparent manner," and it is the US that is "trying to leverage its own advantages to create and export George Orwell's version of 1984 into the 21st century," a spokesperson for China's Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
- China denies retaliating against US journalists, urges sincerity Global Times 07 Sep 2020 -- The Chinese Foreign Ministry slammed the US State Department spokesperson for calling so-called visa limitations on US media in China as a "reciprocal" move against the Trump administration's suppression of Chinese journalists in the US, calling it totally groundless and saying the US is blaming others when it should be blaming itself.
- China demands reciprocal gesture for renewing US journalists credentials Press TV 07 Sep 2020 -- China has refused to renew the press credentials for some foreign journalists working for US outlets on its soil, but asserts that it would be willing to cooperate with them on the condition that the US treats Chinese media employees fairly.
- China Freezes Visa Renewals for Journalists with US-Based News Outlets VOA 07 Sep 2020 -- Chinese authorities have stopped renewing press credentials for foreign journalists working for U.S. news organizations in China, the latest move in a continuing cycle of tit-for-tat retaliations between Beijing and Washington over economic and diplomatic disputes.
- HK has never adopted Western 'separation of powers' concept: State Council Global Times 07 Sep 2020 -- Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam said on Tuesday that the disputes among society over the "separation of three powers" showed the misunderstanding of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region's (HKSAR) political system under the framework of "one country, two systems," and she hopes people can learn about the facts through the debates.
- Pro-separatist HK magistrate's new post result of biased remarks in court: experts Global Times 07 Sep 2020 -- A Hong Kong magistrate with a pro-separatist stance will move to a new position in the local high court, a decision that has raised public concerns as experts said that a magistrate needs to at least be neutral on politics as this is a basic norm for judges to ensure impartiality.
- HK illegal gatherings a public defiance of state will: liaison office Global Times 07 Sep 2020 -- The illegal gatherings in Hong Kong organized by a few members of opposition groups is a public defiance of the law and state will, the Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) said, warning zero tolerance for acts that violate the national security law for Hong Kong.
- Hong Kong Detainees in China Denied Meetings With Defense Lawyers Radio Free Asia 07 Sep 2020 -- Twelve Hong Kong residents detained by the China Coast Guard after trying to flee an ongoing crackdown on dissent by boat are being denied access to lawyers, one lawyer who has been hired to represent one of them said on Monday.
- China Detains Hundreds for 'Rumor-Mongering' Amid Mongolian Schools Protests Radio Free Asia 07 Sep 2020 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party has suspended two county-level officials in its northern region of Inner Mongolia for failing to implement its directives amid a region-wide schools boycott and widespread protests against plans to phase out Mongolian-medium education.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list