Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
04 September 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- European Attitudes Harden as Czech Visit to Taiwan Triggers Chinese Fury VOA 04 Sep 2020 -- A bitter dispute between China and the Czech Republic threatens to affect relations between Europe and Beijing.
- Flurry of High-Level Foreign Visitors Boosts Taiwan's International Visibility VOA 04 Sep 2020 -- A flurry of high-level visits from foreign officials and legislators has pushed Taiwan's international visibility to a new peak, despite chronic opposition from China, analysts in Taipei say, and the boost has raised people's confidence that their normally isolated island is getting international respect.
- China launches reusable experimental spacecraft for peaceful uses Global Times 04 Sep 2020 -- China successfully launched a reusable experimental spacecraft with a Long March-2F carrier rocket from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in Northwest China on Friday.
- China's Reusable Spacecraft Blasts Off for First Time in Secretive Launch Sputnik 04 Sep 2020 -- China's first reusable spacecraft was blasted into space on Friday morning from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in the Gobi Desert. According to a government aerospace agency, the mission will prepare the Chinese space program for a new generation of manned space missions.
- Hong Kong's daily new COVID-19 cases remain single digit for 2 days People's Daily 04 Sep 2020 -- Hong Kong's daily new COVID-19 cases have remained under 10 for two days in a row, local authorities said.
- Another mainland COVID-19 testing team arrives in Hong Kong People's Daily 04 Sep 2020 -- Another 117 members of the mainland nucleic acid testing team arrived in Hong Kong Thursday for the Universal Community Testing Program (UCTP) that started on Sept. 1, bringing the total number of the team members to 427.
- China Has Largest Program to Interfere in US Presidential Election, White House Adviser Says Sputnik 04 Sep 2020 -- White House National Security Adviser Robert O'Brien said on Friday that China has the largest program to interfere in the 2020 US presidential election.
- India on High Alert as Defence Chief Talks of Coordinated Threat From China, Pakistan Sputnik 04 Sep 2020 -- India and China were recently involved in a skirmish in the Chushul area of Ladakh on the night of 29-30 August. Since then the two Asian giants have been accusing each other of crossing the loosely demarcated Line of Actual Control in Ladakh. In June, India lost 20 soldiers in one such clash with the Chinese Army.
- US Presidential Candidate Joe Biden Vows Strong Policy Supporting Tibet Radio Free Asia 04 Sep 2020 -- Democratic Party presidential candidate Joe Biden said he would take a strong stand against China's human rights abuses in Tibet, and take measures to support Tibetans' cultural and religious rights, including meeting exiled Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama.
- Exiled Tibetans in India's 'special force' are only 'cannon fodder' Global Times 04 Sep 2020 -- The latest border confrontation between China and India has brought under spotlight an Indian force unit, composed of the exiled Tibetans who some Indian media believe formed an "elite unit" and played an "important role" in the latest standoff triggered by India's provocative actions.
- Iran To Work With China To Create National Internet System RFE/RL 04 Sep 2020 -- An Iranian lawmaker says Tehran and Beijing will work together to create a national Internet for Iran as part of a 25-year partnership agreement they are discussing.
- Chinese PLA's 36th naval task force sets sail for escort missions PLA Daily 04 Sep 2020 -- The 36th escort taskforce of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy left a military port in Qingdao on September 3rd for the Gulf of Aden and waters off Somalia to engage in escort missions.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying's Regular Press Conference on September 4, 2020 PRC MofA 04 Sep 2020
- Suppression on Chinese journalists reflects US' Cold War mentality and ideological bias: Chinese FM Global Times 04 Sep 2020 -- The political persecution and suppression on Chinese journalists in the US reflects the Cold War mentality and ideological bias of the US, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Thursday in response to the discriminatory treatment to Chinese journalists by the US.
- Would a power like the US let others exploit it? Chinese FM asks Pompeo, who said US bent to China for 40 yrs Global Times 04 Sep 2020 -- As US Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo's remarks and deeds not only severely damaged his reputation but also blurred the US' international image and credibility. He has become an infamous example in international relations, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying told a press conference on Friday.
- Chinese president makes indirect response to US-led attacks on CPC at 75th anniversary of WWII victory Global Times 04 Sep 2020 -- The Chinese people will never agree on any attempt by any person or force to distort the history of the Communist Party of China (CPC) and smear the nature and the purpose of the CPC, Chinese President Xi Jinping, who is also the general secretary of the CPC Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission, said at a symposium commemorating the 75th anniversary of the end of WWII. This was the first time China's top leader made an indirect response to US-led attacks on China's ruling Party.
- Xi Jinping Warns Against 'Changing China's Direction' As Textbooks Rewritten Radio Free Asia 04 Sep 2020 -- General secretary Xi Jinping on Friday warned that the ruling Chinese Communist Party (CCP) will never allow anyone, at home or overseas, to try to change China's "direction of progress."
- China warns UN against meddling in its affairs Press TV 04 Sep 2020 -- China warned United Nations (UN) experts to stop meddling in its affairs after officials from the body raised concerns about the application of a uniform national security law to Hong Kong.
- Malaysia's New Govt Says it Won't Hand Over Uyghur Refugees to China Radio Free Asia 04 Sep 2020 -- Malaysia's new government will not extradite ethnic Uyghurs to China if Beijing requests it and will allow them safe passage to a third country, a cabinet member told parliament recently, responding to questions from a lawmaker concerned that the policy could damage relations with China.
- Independent Tribunal Launched to Judge Claims of Mass Atrocities Crimes in Xinjiang Radio Free Asia 04 Sep 2020 -- The one-time prosecutor of ex-Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic on Friday launched an independent tribunal to judge allegations of mass atrocities crimes committed against Uyghur and other Muslim minorities in China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR).
- China's Bad Loans Climb With Economic Recovery Radio Free Asia 04 Sep 2020 -- China's commercial banks have come under increasing pressure from government plans to support economic recovery with eased credit policies and mounting bad loans.
- Ethnic Mongolian Official Dead by Suicide Amid Language Protests Radio Free Asia 04 Sep 2020 -- A 33-year-old ethnic Mongolian woman has died by suicide in what her family members said was an act of protest over the ruling Chinese Communist Party's plans to phase out Mongolian-medium education and language teaching in schools.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list