Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
29 August 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Countries in Himalaya region urged to enhance cooperation to fight COVID-19 Global Times 29 Aug 2020 -- Under the growing threat of COVID-19 pandemic in the Himalaya region, Chinese experts say it's important for countries, such as Nepal and India, to enhance cooperation to fight the coronavirus, boost trade cooperation and people-to-people exchange, which will benefit the region's development.
- Xinjiang downgrades alert level indicating COVID-19 outbreak has been fully controlled: expert Global Times 29 Aug 2020 -- Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region has downgraded its response level to a recent outbreak of COVID-19 in the region to low-risk as of Saturday, after no new cases have been reported for almost two weeks, leading experts to conclude that the spread of coronavirus in Xinjiang has been fully controlled.
- Four Chinese COVID-19 vaccines undergoing phase-3 clinical trials People's Daily 29 Aug 2020 -- Four Chinese COVID-19 vaccine candidates have started international phase-3 clinical trials, according to the State Council joint prevention and control mechanism against COVID-19.
- South China's Guangxi reports 1 new imported COVID-19 case People's Daily 29 Aug 2020 -- South China's Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region reported one new imported asymptomatic COVID-19 case on Friday, the provincial health commission said Saturday.
- Mainland testing team assembled in Hong Kong to assist COVID-19 fight People's Daily 29 Aug 2020 -- Another over 160 members of the mainland nucleic acid testing team have arrived in Hong Kong Friday for the Universal Community Testing Program (UCT Program) that starts on Sept. 1.
- 35 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 29 Aug 2020 -- The National Health Commission said Saturday that 35 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports 9 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 29 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported nine new imported COVID-19 cases Friday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 2,473, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- Xinjiang's Urumqi downgrades five districts to low-risk areas for COVID-19 People's Daily 29 Aug 2020 -- Authorities in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region announced on Friday that they will downgrade five districts in the regional capital of Urumqi to low-risk areas for COVID-19 starting Saturday.
- Hong Kong reports 13 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 29 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported 13 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, bringing the total confirmed cases to 4,768.
- Shanghai reports 3 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 29 Aug 2020 -- Shanghai reported three new imported COVID-19 cases and no increase in domestically-transmitted cases on Friday, the municipal health commission said Saturday.
- Xi stresses building new modern socialist Tibet PLA Daily 29 Aug 2020 -- President Xi Jinping has called for efforts to build a new modern socialist Tibet.
- Pentagon lists 11 Chinese firms in accusation of militarization Global Times 29 Aug 2020 -- US named another 11 Chinese firms, including construction giant China Communications Construction Company, as being owned or controlled by the Chinese military, the Pentagon said in a statement on Friday.
- China's largest marine research, training vessel enters commission People's Daily 29 Aug 2020 -- China's largest-ever oceanographic research and training vessel, named after Sun Yat-sen University, entered into commission in Shanghai on Friday.
- PLA Garrison in Macao completes 21st routine rotation PLA Daily 29 Aug 2020 -- The Macao Garrison of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) completed its 21st rotation early Saturday since it began garrisoning the Macao Special Administrative Region (SAR) in 1999.
- China warns of 'accidental' military confrontation with US Press TV 29 Aug 2020 -- China's military has warned of an unintentional military confrontation with the US if it does not halt its naval operations in the South China Sea, insisting that recent US activities in the region are instigating such hostilities.
- France won't ban Huawei as relations with China remain 'stable and mature' Global Times 29 Aug 2020 -- Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Friday (French time) met with French President Emmanuel Macron during his ongoing European tour and the two discussed a wide range of topics including co-developing a COVID-19 vaccine and France's pledge not to ban Chinese tech company Huawei.
- US Fines Company for Goods Made With Suspected Forced Labor in China VOA 29 Aug 2020 -- Earlier this month, the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) issued its first penalty for goods made with forced labor under the Trade Facilitation and Trade Enforcement Act of 2015.
- Xinjiang debunks accusations of 'birth-control' measures on Uygurs Global Times 29 Aug 2020 -- The population of the Uygur ethnic group in Northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region has increased from 10.17 million to 12.71 million during the period from 2010 to 2018, showing a higher growth rate than other ethnic minorities in the data of the entire region, a Xinjiang regional government spokesperson told a press conference on Saturday, in refuting German "scholar" Adrian Zenz's accusations of Xinjiang restricting its Uygur population.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list