Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
28 August 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Chinese National Charged with Destroying Hard Drive During FBI Investigation into the Possible Transfer of Sensitive Software to China US Dept. of Justice 28 Aug 2020 -- A Chinese national and researcher at the University of California, Los Angeles has been arrested on federal charges of destroying evidence to obstruct an FBI investigation after he was observed throwing a damaged hard drive into a dumpster outside his apartment, the Justice Department announced today.
- Cai Li steps down as Wuhan Central Hospital Party chief amid speculation Global Times 28 Aug 2020 -- Cai Li no longer serves as Party chief of Wuhan Central Hospital in Central China's Hubei Province, Chinese media reported on Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 9 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported nine new imported COVID-19 cases Thursday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 2,464, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- US has high-priority responsibility in nuclear disarmament: Chinese FM Global Times 28 Aug 2020 -- China's Foreign Ministry urged the US take its responsibility in nuclear disarmament as the world's largest nuclear-armed nation, after Kazakhstan's first President Nursultan Nazarbayev recently called on holding a nuclear disarmament summit between US, Russia, the European Union and China.
- Indian refiners stop buying crude oil from Chinese companies Press TV 28 Aug 2020 -- India has stopped purchasing crude oil from China-linked companies, as part of New Delhi's recent move to restrict imports from neighboring countries in the wake of an escalating border dispute.
- Xinjiang Authorities Jail Family Members of Two Uyghurs in Exile For Travel, Overseas Ties Radio Free Asia 28 Aug 2020 -- Authorities in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) have imprisoned the family members of two Uyghur women living in exile for their travels abroad and overseas connections, according to the women.
- Xinjiang dispels rumors about 'detained' Uygur model Global Times 28 Aug 2020 -- A model who posted a video of himself being handcuffed in a room and has been used by Western media as "proof" to accuse Xinjiang, was under compulsory measures for violating COVID-19 prevention rules, a spokesperson of China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region told a press conference on Thursday.
- Ethnic Mongolian Parents Strike Over China's New Language Policy in Schools Radio Free Asia 28 Aug 2020 -- Parents in China's northern region of Inner Mongolia are refusing to send their children to school this semester in protest over changes to the curriculum by the ruling Chinese Communist Party.
- China Confirms Holding 12 Hong Kong Residents From Boat Seizure Radio Free Asia 28 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong authorities on Friday confirmed that 12 of the city's residents are being held by the China Coast Guard in the southern province of Guangdong, after their boat was seized outside Hong Kong waters on Sunday.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on August 28, 2020 PRC MofA 28 Aug 2020
- China Makes Plans to Import More US Oil Radio Free Asia 28 Aug 2020 -- China is stocking up on oil from the United States in an apparent effort to ease tensions with Washington, analysts say.
- DOD Releases List of Additional Companies, in Accordance with Section 1237 of FY19 NDAA DoD 28 Aug 2020 -- Today, the Department of Defense released the names of additional "Communist Chinese military companies" operating directly or indirectly in the United States in accordance with the statutory requirement of Section 1237 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1999, as amended.
- Threat claims of China's missile launch 'groundless' Global Times 28 Aug 2020 -- China's Foreign Ministry slammed the US as a "troublemaker" in the South China Sea, and said US' accusations that China fired missiles into the South China Sea which threatened regional peace are groundless and unreasonable.
- China's military 'will not dance to US' tune' People's Daily 28 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese military opposes the United States ramping up its pressure and provocations against China, and promises to take "every measure necessary" to safeguard national sovereignty, security and development interests as bilateral relations face an "unusually severe and complicated situation", the Ministry of National Defense said on Thursday.
- China's largest oceanographic research vessel launched 92 years after first scientific expedition to S. China Sea islands Global Times 28 Aug 2020 -- China's largest oceanographic research vessel dubbed the "Sun Yat-sen University," was launched at Jiangnan Shipyard in Shanghai on Friday, about 92 years after China's first scientific expedition to the Xisha Islands in the South China Sea.
- Photos: China Tests Converting Heavy Cargo Ship Into Helicopter Carrier Sputnik 28 Aug 2020 -- In a recent drill, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) took a page from the US Navy's book and tested its ability to use the deck of a large semi-submersible cargo ship as a temporary helicopter landing pad.
- China's first amphibious assault ship completes maiden sea trial PLA Daily 28 Aug 2020 -- The first Type 075 amphibious assault ship of the People's Liberation Army Navy has finished its first sea trial, Senior Colonel Wu Qian, a spokesman for the Defense Ministry, confirmed on Thursday.
- China urges US military to restrain behaviors to avoid contingency PLA Daily 28 Aug 2020 -- "China urges the US to immediately stop provocations, strictly manage and control its maritime and air military operations, strictly restrain the behaviors of its front-line naval and air forces, so as to avoid any contingency," said Senior Colonel Li Huamin, spokesperson for the Southern Theater Command of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), in a written statement on Friday.
- Chinese military expels US destroyer from territorial waters in S.China Sea Global Times 28 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) on Thursday expelled a US warship that trespassed into China's territorial waters in the Xisha Islands in the South China Sea on Thursday, near an ongoing Chinese military exercise zone that reportedly featured live-fire anti-ship ballistic missile launches.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list