Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
27 August 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- 12 imported COVID-19 patients successfully discharged from Shanghai hospital Global Times 27 Aug 2020 -- A total of 12 imported cases of COVID-19 were discharged from hospital in Shanghai after receiving treatment, the Shanghai Health Commission announced on Thursday.
- HKSAR gov't confirms relaxation of social distancing measures People's Daily 27 Aug 2020 -- The government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Thursday confirmed that some social distancing measures will be eased from Friday in response to a retreat in new COVID-19 cases.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Aug 2020 -- No new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Wednesday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- Chinese military medical experts help with Sierra Leone's COVID-19 fight PLA Daily 27 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese Military Medical Expert Group (CMMEG) in Sierra Leone has been playing an active role in the country's fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, the team told Xinhua in an interview.
- Travelers flying from Brazil to China must undergo nucleic acid tests: embassy Global Times 27 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese Embassy in Brazil announced on Thursday that all travelers flying to China from Brazil - including those transiting via Brazil - must provide nucleic acid test results for COVID-19 taken within 72 hours of their boarding, starting from Sep 7. The announcement comes as the country is reporting rising numbers of confirmed cases and possible cases of re-infection.
- China, India agree to further ease border tension: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 27 Aug 2020 -- Since the Galwan Valley clash, China and India have held several rounds of talks through military and diplomatic channels, and progress has been made in disengaging the frontline troops of both sides, said Senior Colonel Wu Qian, spokesperson for China's Ministry of National Defense, when introducing the current China-India border situation and commenting on the two sides' military ties at a regular press conference on Thursday.
- China, India agree to further de-escalate border tensions: spokesman PLA Daily 27 Aug 2020 -- China and India have agreed to further ease tensions in the border area, a Chinese military spokesman said Thursday.
- India, China Reaffirm Commitment to Complete Troop Disengagement Along LAC Sputnik 27 Aug 2020 -- Indian and Chinese diplomats have held another meeting and reaffirmed their commitment to work toward complete disengagement of troops along the Line of Actual Control, Indian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said on Thursday.
- News of Swiss Agreement Allowing Deportations to China Raises Concerns for Tibetans Radio Free Asia 27 Aug 2020 -- A previously little-known agreement between Switzerland and China allowing Chinese officials access to Chinese nationals applying for asylum in the European country has come up for renewal, prompting concerns that the law may be used to expel Tibetans and other ethnic minorities fleeing persecution by Beijing.
- Pakistan Attempts Balance Ties With China, US VOA 27 Aug 2020 -- Pakistan's government has long said it is trying to maintain good relations with both China and the United States, despite rising tensions between Beijing and Washington. But Prime Minister Imran Khan was blunt in one of his recent public statements about where the two relationships are heading.
- China Resumes Reporting Oil Imports From Iran In July Radio Farda 27 Aug 2020 -- The latest Chinese Customs' data show the country imported about 120,000 barrels of oil per day from Iran in July, worth a total of $134 million, after showing zero imports in June.
- China hails Iran-IAEA agreement to resolve issues, criticizes 'unilateral bullying' Press TV 27 Aug 2020 -- China welcomes recent arrival at an agreement by Iran and the UN nuclear watchdog to resolve some issues specified by the agency, berating coercive attempts that seek to prevent such dialog-powered cooperation.
- US Condemns China Drills After Reported 'Carrier Killer' Missile Test in South China Sea Radio Free Asia 27 Aug 2020 -- The United States on Thursday accused China of further destabilizing the situation in the South China Sea after it test-fired ballistic missiles near the disputed Paracel Islands, in what an analyst called an apparent demonstration of China's ability to hit ships in the open ocean.
- DOD Statement on Recent Chinese Ballistic Missile Launches DoD 27 Aug 2020 -- "The Department of Defense is concerned about the People's Republic of China (PRC) recent decision to conduct military exercises, including the firing of ballistic missiles, around the Paracel Islands in the South China Sea on August 23-29.
- Reported PLA anti-ship ballistic missile launches 'show saturated attack capability' Global Times 27 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) on Wednesday launched multiple anti-ship ballistic missiles into the South China Sea in a military exercise, overseas media reported. The missile launches, if true, demonstrated the PLA's ability to hit maritime targets with powerful ballistic missiles from multiple directions in coordinated, saturated attacks against which there is no defense, analysts said on Thursday.
- China Launches 4 Missiles into South China Sea VOA 27 Aug 2020 -- Beijing has fired missiles into the disputed waters of the South China Sea, escalating U.S.-China tensions amid U.S. sanctions aimed at punishing companies that helped bolster China's continued militarization of the region.
- China fires anti-ship ballistic missiles into South China Sea in warning to US Press TV 27 Aug 2020 -- China has launched two ballistic missiles, including one known as the "aircraft carrier killer," into the South China Sea, in a clear warning to the United States, which has been ratcheting up tensions in the strategic waterway.
- China's recent military exercises not targeted at any country PLA Daily 27 Aug 2020 -- China's recent military exercises in waters of the Yellow Sea and the South China Sea are not targeted at any country, said Senior Colonel Wu Qian, spokesperson for the Ministry of National Defense of China, at a regular press conference on Thursday.
- China's MoD Says Recent Drills Don't Target Any Country Sputnik 27 Aug 2020 -- The day before, the South China Morning Post reported that the country's military had fired two missiles, including an "aircraft-carrier killer", into the South China Sea on the morning of August 26, "sending a clear warning to the United States".
- Esper Discusses Moves Needed to Counter China's Malign Strategy DoD News 27 Aug 2020 -- The international, rules-based system that has brought security and stability to much of the globe is under duress, Defense Secretary Dr. Mark T. Esper said in Honolulu today.
- China opposes and is unafraid of US provocations: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 27 Aug 2020 -- "Recently, the US has increased its efforts to pressurize and provoke China. The Chinese stance is always clear in this regard: we oppose and are unafraid of the US provocations," said Senior Colonel Wu Qian, spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of National Defense, at a regular press conference on Thursday.
- US should view China's growth with rational mind: Defense Spokesperson PLA Daily 27 Aug 2020 -- Senior Colonel Wu Qian, a spokesperson for the Ministry of National Defense of China, urged the US to view China's growth with a rational mind, while making comments on the current China-US military ties and the future high-level military exchanges during a press conference on Thursday.
- US 'walking on thin ice' with spy plane flight People's Daily 27 Aug 2020 -- Chinese experts warned that the United States military is "walking on thin ice" by allowing one of its U-2 spy planes to trespass into a no-fly zone over Chinese live-fire military drills, calling the move extremely provocative and prone to misjudgement.
- Chinese military academies enroll over 12,000 high school graduates in 2020 PLA Daily 27 Aug 2020 -- China's 27 military universities, colleges, and academies have enrolled more than 12,000 high school graduates this year, a military spokesperson said on Thursday.
- China not to allow US to cause trouble: Defense Ministry Press TV 27 Aug 2020 -- China's Defense Ministry says the country will not "dance to the tune" of the United States or allow it to "cause trouble," as Washington ramps up hostile posturing against Beijing, including in the South China Sea.
- Maiden voyage of China-built Type 075 amphibious assault ship a success: Defense Ministry Global Times 27 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese Navy's first Type 075 amphibious assault ship has successfully completed its first sea trial, China's Ministry of National Defense announced on Thursday.
- US sanctions won't deter China from seeking legal rights in S.China Sea, trade: experts Global Times 27 Aug 2020 -- The US on Wednesday sought to further escalate tensions with China, as it moves to sanction two dozen Chinese companies that it claims help build artificial islands in the South China Sea, compounding several hot-button issues in the bilateral relationship, from the South China Sea to military to trade.
- US illegal sanctions over S. China Sea shows its hegemonic logic: FM Global Times 27 Aug 2020 -- The imposition of illegal sanctions on two dozen Chinese firms over false accusations of China militarizing the South China Sea reflects the hegemonic logic and power politics of the US, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Zhao Lijian said at Thursday's media briefing.
- US sanctions on firms over S.China Sea to have little impact, show its exhausted tricks: experts Global Times 27 Aug 2020 -- Recent US sanctions on two dozen Chinese companies and certain individuals involved in infrastructure construction in the South China Sea are "illegal" and "hegemonic," which won't deter China from pursuing its legitimate territorial sovereignty and maritime rights and interests in the sea, observers said.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on August 27, 2020 PRC MofA 27 Aug 2020
- Pompeo: Reports of Chinese vessels near Galapagos 'deeply troubling' Press TV 27 Aug 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has said reports of hundreds of Chinese vessels near the Galapagos Islands are "deeply troubling."
- Pompeo Says Reports of Over 300 Chinese Vessels Near Galapagos 'Deeply Troubling' Sputnik 27 Aug 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Thursday that the United States finds reports of several hundred Chinese vessels near the Galapagos Islands disabling tracking systems and leaving marine debris to be very concerning.
- Chinese Coast Guard Seizes Boat, Arrests 12 Hong Kong Protesters Radio Free Asia 27 Aug 2020 -- Authorities in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong have detained more than 10 people believed to be Hong Kong activists fleeing to the democratic island of Taiwan amid a national security crackdown in their home city.
- Mainland maritime police seize HK rioters at sea upon escaping Global Times 27 Aug 2020 -- Chinese mainland maritime police arrested more than 10 people suspected of illegally crossing the border in waters under mainland jurisdiction, among whom Hong Kong media reported was an anti-government rioter who violated the national security law for Hong Kong and was released on bail pending investigation.
- Mainland Affairs Council urges Hong Kongers to enter Taiwan legally CNA 27 Aug 2020 -- People from Hong Kong should follow existing legal channels if they wish to move to Taiwan, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said on Thursday, following a report of Hong Kongers being caught by China's coast guard while trying to flee to the island in a speed boat.
- Former Detainees in Kashgar Draw Low Salaries, Forfeit Half of Wages to Old Internment Camps Radio Free Asia 27 Aug 2020 -- Ten Uyghur former detainees who earn half the salaries of their fellow employees at a shipping firm in Kashgar (in Chinese, Kashi) city, in far western China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR), additionally must forfeit nearly 50 percent of their wages to their old internment camp, according to sources.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list