Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
25 August 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- Designation of People's Republic of China (PRC) Foreign National and Hong Kong Entity under the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act US Dept. of State 25 Aug 2020 -- Today, the Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated one of the most significant drug traffickers in the world - Chinese national Zhang Taotao.
- Treasury Sanctions Chinese National for Shipping Fentanyl to the United States US Treasury 25 Aug 2020 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) identified Chinese national Taotao Zhang as a Significant Foreign Narcotics Trafficker pursuant to the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act (Kingpin Act). OFAC also designated Hong Kong-based Allyrise Technology Group Co., Limited, for being owned, controlled, or directed by, or acting for or on behalf of, Taotao Zhang.
- COVID-19 cases trigger second 'circuit breaker' for Etihad Airways flight to China Global Times 25 Aug 2020 -- The Civil Aviation Administration of China triggered the second "circuit breaker" for Etihad Airways flight EY862 on Tuesday as five passengers flying from Abu Dhabi to Shanghai tested positive for COVID-19 on August 15, according to Shanghai Fabu, Shanghai municipal government's official WeChat account, on Tuesday.
- Chinese medical experts train South Sudanese medics on COVID-19 response People's Daily 25 Aug 2020 -- A team of medical experts sent by the Chinese government to South Sudan on Monday kicked off training for frontline health care workers tackling the COVID-19 pandemic in the east African country.
- Expert: Severe epidemic won't happen in China in autumn and winter People's Daily 25 Aug 2020 -- With the summer coming to an end, many people are worried about the rebound of the COVID-19 epidemic in China in autumn and winter.
- Carrie Lam eyes massive COVID-19 screening to help Hong Kong return normal People's Daily 25 Aug 2020 -- Chief Executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam said Monday that the sole purpose of the upcoming massive COVID-19 screening is to protect people's health and help Hong Kong get rid of the epidemic soon.
- Urumqi relaxes management rules for "epidemic-free" neighborhoods People's Daily 25 Aug 2020 -- Urumqi, capital of northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, has relaxed management rules for some "epidemic-free" residential communities, starting Sunday, due to the easing of the recent outbreak of COVID-19 infections.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 25 Aug 2020 -- No new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Monday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- US deeply involved in Taiwan Island's politics, peaceful reunification unlikely: former KMT official Global Times 25 Aug 2020 -- The US has deeply involved in the island of Taiwan's politics, and the possibility of a peaceful reunification is fading, the former deputy secretary-general of the Kuomintang (KMT) Tsai Cheng-Yuan said in an exclusive interview with the Global Times.
- China's MoD Says US Spy Plane Entered No-Fly Zone of Chinese Northern Military District Sputnik 25 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese military said on Tuesday that a US spy plane entering the no-fly zone of the Chinese Northern Military District was a "naked provocation."
- China protests US spy plane for breaching PLA no-fly zone Global Times 25 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese military strongly protested a US spy plane trespassing into a no-fly zone of a live-fire drill by the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA), a spokesperson of the Chinese Ministry of National Defense said on Tuesday, warning that the move threatened to cause a misjudgment and even an accident, and was a blatant act of provocation.
- China says US spy aircraft intruded into no-fly zone in 'naked provocation' Press TV 25 Aug 2020 -- China says the United States has flown a spy aircraft into a Chinese no-fly zone during live-fire military drills, calling the flight "naked provocation."
- China unveils first indigenous 15 ton-class transport helicopter; amphibious assault role expected Global Times 25 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has unveiled its latest type of transport helicopter, the Z-8L, the first in the 15 ton-class in China. The new helicopter is capable of transporting an all-terrain assault vehicle and other heavy equipment. It is expected to enter service with aerial assault troops and to play a major role in multiple scenarios including amphibious assault missions, experts said on Tuesday.
- China Wins Seat at International Tribunal on Law of the Sea Radio Free Asia 25 Aug 2020 -- China's candidate has won an election to be a judge on a key United Nations-affiliated agency responsible for hearing cases concerning the Law of the Sea, despite U.S. opposition to what it views as Beijing's growing influence in international organizations.
- UPDATE: Chinese diplomat's election to sea tribunal with high count of votes reflects intl recognition: FM Global Times 25 Aug 2020 -- Chinese Ambassador to Hungary Duan Jielong was on Monday elected as a member of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea with a high count of votes, which reflected the international community's recognition of China's claims and actions on maritime issues and was a "slap in the face" of the US, as the country had not accepted the law but instead pointed its finger at and smeared China's moves.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on August 25, 2020 PRC MofA 25 Aug 2020
- Full text: Speech by Chinese Premier Li Keqiang at the third Lancang-Mekong Cooperation Leaders' Meeting People's Daily 25 Aug 2020 -- The following is the full text of the speech by Chinese Premier Li Keqiang at the third Lancang-Mekong Cooperation Leaders' Meeting on Monday in Beijing.
- Wang Yi kicks off crucial Europe trip Global Times 25 Aug 2020 -- Chinese State Councilor Wang Yi kicked off a week-long visit to Europe on Tuesday, his first overseas trip since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, with Italy as his first stop. Experts said that the high-level exchange will strengthen bilateral political trust and pave the way for 5G cooperation and the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
- China and US chief trade negotiators hold talks, agree to push for phase one deal Global Times 25 Aug 2020 -- The phone call made on Tuesday by chief trade talk negotiators from China and the US and the ensuing announcements showed that there is still enough will from the two sides to implement the phase one trade deal, despite doubts that the deal might be on shaky ground after the call was not held at a pre-scheduled time, Chinese analysts said on Tuesday.
- Human Rights Under Attack in Hong Kong Under New National Security Regime: Report Radio Free Asia 25 Aug 2020 -- A draconian national security law imposed on Hong Kong by the ruling Chinese Communist Party at the beginning of July has ushered in an ever-widening crackdown on peaceful dissent, and a new wave of human rights violations, according to a report from an overseas-based rights group.
- First person charged under natl security law for HK denied bail again Global Times 25 Aug 2020 -- The High Court of the Hong Kong Special Autonomous Region (HKSAR) on Tuesday again refused bail to a 23-year-old man who was the first person charged under the national security law for HKSAR.
- Dissidents Call on China's Confucius Institute to Allow Them to Speak on 1989 Massacre Radio Free Asia 25 Aug 2020 -- Chinese dissidents overseas have called on the head of a China-backed cultural institute at the University of Western Australia (UniWA) to allow them to speak about their experiences of the 1989 Tiananmen massacre that ended weeks of student-led protests around the country.
- Xi stresses long-term perspective in economic, social planning People's Daily 25 Aug 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Monday stressed adopting a long-term perspective, grasping the trend of the times and extensively pooling wisdom to study new circumstances and make new plans.
- Top STEM Graduates Hired For District Official Roles in China Radio Free Asia 25 Aug 2020 -- Government recruiters for ruling Chinese Communist Party-sponsored jobs are requiring ever higher levels of qualification for graduate positions in district-level government organizations, RFA has learned.
- Xinjiang Authorities Restrict Islamic 'Nikah' Wedding Rites, Citing Danger to 'Stability' Radio Free Asia 25 Aug 2020 -- Authorities in Kashgar (in Chinese, Kashi) prefecture, in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR), are restricting Uyghurs from observing Islamic wedding rites, according to sources, amid a campaign that has labeled a broad spectrum of religious practices as "extremist."
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list