Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
23 August 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China launches urgent use of COVID-19 vaccines for 1 month Global Times 23 Aug 2020 -- One month has passed since China officially launched the urgent use of COVID-19 vaccines on July 22, while the vaccines were going through clinical trials, said a National Health Commission official on Saturday. Recipients who got their first dose since then revealed they had few adverse reactions and none reported a fever.
- Beijing universities to reopen, ask all returning non-local students to undergo COVID-19 tests Global Times 23 Aug 2020 -- After almost seven months of suspended campus life, universities in China, with well-thought-out virus prevention measures, are set to reopen and welcome the new cohort of students, the latest sign of the country's achievement in tackling the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Chinese inactivated COVID-19 vaccine starts phase-3 clinical trials in Argentina People's Daily 23 Aug 2020 -- An inactivated COVID-19 vaccine developed by China has started phase-3 clinical trials in Argentina, according to its developer China National Biotec Group (CNBG), which is affiliated to Sinopharm.
- China's Hubei reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Aug 2020 -- No new confirmed, asymptomatic or suspected cases of COVID-19 were reported in central China's Hubei Province Saturday, the provincial health commission said Sunday.
- China's Xinjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Aug 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases or asymptomatic cases were reported in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region for the fifth straight day on Saturday, the regional health commission said Sunday in its daily report.
- Chinese mainland reports 12 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 23 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 12 new imported COVID-19 cases Saturday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 2,402, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- Land border pact shows China, Vietnam can 'solve maritime issues without external intervention' Global Times 23 Aug 2020 -- China and Vietnam celebrated the 20th anniversary of delimitation their territorial boundaries, a historic border land treaty between the two countries which sends a clear message that neighboring countries can solve disputes without being influenced by external forces, as the US has recently increased the provocation in the South China Sea, Chinese experts said.
- Former Taiwan regional leader defends criticism of DPP's US-leaning policy following pledge to prevent war with mainland Global Times 23 Aug 2020 -- The former leader of Taiwan island, Ma Ying-jeou, said his Saturday criticism toward the current Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) administration that the latter is pushing the island toward the verge of war was spot on, after its current leader, Tsai Ying-wen, fired criticism at him for his earlier remarks.
- China launches new optical remote-sensing satellite PLA Daily 23 Aug 2020 -- China successfully launched a new optical remote-sensing satellite from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China at 10:27 a.m. Sunday (Beijing Time).
- China Launches Advanced Warship for Pakistan Navy VOA 23 Aug 2020 -- China has launched the first of four "most advanced" warships it is building for Pakistan amid deepening defense and economic ties between the two allied nations.
- PLA holds concentrated military drills to deter Taiwan secessionists, US Global Times 23 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has announced four concentrated military drills across three major Chinese sea regions in the coming days, following a recent announcement of consecutive, realistic drills in the Taiwan Straits and at its north and south ends aimed at deterring Taiwan secessionists and the US.
- Anti-corruption campaign in political and legal systems, heavier blows on way: experts Global Times 23 Aug 2020 -- A series of anti-corruption moves have been taken in recent days as multiple cases involving the political and legal systems were put under investigation across China, highlighting the central government's zero tolerance toward corrupt behaviors. Stricter measures will be introduced to deal with the recent spike of corruption cases, experts predicted.
- China lowers flood emergency-response level People's Daily 23 Aug 2020 -- China's State Flood Control and Drought Relief Headquarters on Saturday lowered its emergency response for flood control from Level II to Level IV, as the risks of flooding have been easing.
- Carrie Lam expects Hong Kong residents to cherish Basic Law, "one country, two systems" People's Daily 23 Aug 2020 -- The Basic Law of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) has provided Hong Kong residents with a better life and every resident should cherish the Basic Law and "one country, two systems," HKSAR Chief Executive Carrie Lam said in a video series released on Saturday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list