Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
21 August 2020 - China Special Weapons News
- China Unveils New Strategy for Economic Growth Radio Free Asia 21 Aug 2020 -- As China struggles to restore economic growth, its official phrase-makers have been working overtime to rebrand the government's strategy with a slogan that will sell at home and abroad.
- China Video Ad Calls for 100 Uighur Women to 'Urgently' Marry Han Men VOA 21 Aug 2020 -- A video clip asking 100 Uighur women to "urgently" sign up for intermarriage with Chinese men has been circulating on social media platforms in recent weeks, with observers and Uighur human rights activists calling it another attempt by the Communist Party of China (CCP) to Sinicize the Turkic-speaking ethnic groups in Xinjiang region.
- HK set to provide free citywide testing for COVID-19 from Sep 1 Global Times 21 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong is set to conduct free citywide tests for COVID-19 on September 1 with the central government's help, which will likely take two weeks, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government Chief Executive Carrie Lam announced on Friday, the day when 50 Chinese mainland testing professionals arrived in Hong Kong.
- Respiratory expert shares China's experience of combating pandemic Global Times 21 Aug 2020 -- Renowned Chinese respiratory specialist Zhong Nanshan shared China's experience of combating the coronavirus with 158 diplomatic missions in China via an online meeting, China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) said on Thursday.
- Chairman of Beijing-based pharmacy jailed for selling fake 3M masks Global Times 21 Aug 2020 -- The chairman of a well-known Beijing-based pharmacy has been sentenced to 15 years in prison and fined 4 million yuan ($578,400) for selling fake 3M masks during the COVID-19 pandemic, with the court upholding the same verdict as the first trial held in June, Beijing Youth Daily reported Friday.
- Chinese inactivated COVID-19 vaccine starts phase-3 clinical trials in Peru Global Times 21 Aug 2020 -- A Chinese inactivated COVID-19 vaccine has started phase-3 clinical trials in Peru, according to the vaccine developer China National Biotec Group (CNBG) affiliated to Sinopharm.
- Hong Kong plans to launch 2-week massive COVID-19 testing People's Daily 21 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong plans to start a mass screening for COVID-19 on Sept. 1 and aims to complete the testing in two weeks in an effort to bring the severe epidemic situation under control as recent support from the central government has boosted its testing capacity.
- Chinese mainland reports 22 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 22 new imported COVID-19 cases Thursday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 2,368, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Aug 2020 -- No new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Thursday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- Peru to Host Clinical Trials for Coronavirus Vaccine VOA 21 Aug 2020 -- China's Sinopharm Laboratory will begin human clinical trials for a possible vaccine against COVID-19 in Peru on Monday.
- Manila Files Fresh Diplomatic Protest Against Beijing Over South China Sea Radio Free Asia 21 Aug 2020 -- Manila lodged a diplomatic protest against Beijing over its coast guard's confiscation of Philippine fishing gear from a disputed South China Sea shoal, the foreign office said, in its third bilateral complaint this year about Chinese actions in the waterway.
- Taiwan hinders Chinese mainland investment, hurts own interests Global Times 21 Aug 2020 -- The Taiwan authority is hindering Chinese mainland investment in Taiwan, prohibiting Taiwanese businesses from cooperating with mainland-related enterprises, which is hurting the interests and well-being of Taiwanese, Ma Xiaoguang, spokesperson for the Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council, said on Friday.
- China: US demand to reinstate snapback mechanism "political show" IRNA 21 Aug 2020 -- A spokesperson for China's Permanent Mission to the United Nations said the US attempt to reinstate snapback mechanism was illegal and termed it as a "political show".
- China says US push for Iran sanctions 'self-serving political manipulation' Press TV 21 Aug 2020 -- China says the United States' call for the re-imposition of the United Nations sanctions on Iran is 'nothing but a self-serving political manipulation,' stressing once again that Washington has no right to make such a demand after its unilateral withdrawal from the nuclear deal of 2015.
- China: US ineligible to demand UNSC snapback invocation IRNA 21 Aug 2020 -- China Permanent Mission to the United Nations in a message underlined that the US is ineligible to demand the UNSC snapback invocation against Iran.
- PLA announces large-scale, live-fire drills in Yellow Sea Global Times 21 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) will hold large-scale, live-fire exercises in the Yellow Sea from Saturday to Wednesday, and Chinese military experts predicted on Friday that the drills could feature anti-ship, air defense and anti-submarine exercises to prepare for possible military conflicts with the US, which has been frequently sending bombers, reconnaissance aircraft and warships near China.
- Xi instructs army to complete follow-up flood control work People's Daily 21 Aug 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping, also general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission (CMC), has instructed the armed forces to make unremitting efforts to complete the follow-up tasks of flood control and disaster relief.
- Qingdao to close coastal area for military exercise PLA Daily 21 Aug 2020 -- A swath of ocean off China's east coast will be temporarily closed to all vessels from Saturday to Wednesday for a military drill, per a notice issued on Friday by the government of Qingdao, the eastern port city of Shandong province.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian's Regular Press Conference on August 21, 2020 PRC MofA 21 Aug 2020
- Talks with US to start soon, ministry says People's Daily 21 Aug 2020 -- China and the United States have agreed to hold talks "in the coming days" on economic and trade issues, Ministry of Commerce spokesman Gao Feng said on Thursday, after reports that planned high-level talks on their phase-one trade deal had been postponed.
- Hong Kong Textbook Revisions Will Lead to 'Brainwashing,' Teachers Warn Radio Free Asia 21 Aug 2020 -- Authorities in Hong Kong are targeting the Liberal Studies program in the city's schools, and look likely to use it to "brainwash" students into unquestioning patriotism and loyalty to the ruling Chinese Communist Party, students and teachers said on Friday.
- A Tale of Two Pollsters: How China's Copycat Muddies The Waters in Hong Kong Radio Free Asia 21 Aug 2020 -- Beijing-backed media in Hong Kong recently began citing public opinion research findings from a previously unknown pollster, with a name that is confusingly similar to a well-known and trusted research body.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list